Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 26, 2005, 8:35 AM   #1

I just purchased the H1 and am very pleased with the operation and quality of pictures so far. It comes with 2 NI MH 1.2 volt rechargable batteries. Does anyone know if regular alkaline batteries can be substituted in an emergency since regular alkalines are 1.5 volt each and the NI MH batteries are 1.2 volt each?...thanks ...Stewart
sjg255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2005, 6:12 PM   #2

According too the manual on page 98
Batteries you cannot use

Alkaline
Manganese
Lithium
Ni-Cd

I was disapointed myself and had to go by another 4 Nimh batteries.
hmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 6:24 PM   #3

On the batteries. I bought the display model (which was the only one that Wolf Camerahad left). It had alkalines in it.
tommy122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 7:36 PM   #4

Hmm, this is interesting...I liked the idea of it being able to use AAs when I saw a few pics. The review also says this:

Quote:
Two AA type NiMH, Alkaline or lithium batteries
Two Sony 2500mAh NiMH batteries supplied with charger

MJ

4nkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 3:43 AM   #5

I have just tested the H1 with standard alkaline batteries and it woks just fine.

I have not tested the AA lithium in it but I cannot think of why it would not work.

REALYTYCHECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 1:40 PM   #6

After thoroughly reading the H1 owners manual, i see on page 101 (general power) you can use nimh batteries, with a voltage of 1.2 each, oxy nickel with a voltage of 1.5 each, (which if my understanding is correct, oxy nickel is just a slightly more powerful battery then a regular alkaline) or an AC adaptor which uses 4.2 voltage. I think the only reason they are telling you not to use regular AA alkaline batteries is that you might not get a long time usage from them before they go dead and need replacement
sjg255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 2:58 AM   #7

if you read what it says directly below sony's warning to steer away from alkaline and lithium batteries, it states that such batteries will not harm the camera, rather they simply may not have enough power to operate all of the the camera's necesary functions
mooshoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 7:55 AM   #8

Hi,

I posted a seperate q. on the battery forum about the H1, but more on the performance of HIMHs, however...

I tried my H1 out with brand new Duracell Ultra alkalines when I first bought it, and they lasted about 30mins.... pretty awful really, but, in a tight spot you could squeeze a few more shots by using them I guess.

I think the problem is (an expert may well correct me here) that NIMHs holdfull or near tofullcharge for the camera (a high drain machine - which needs this amount of charge just to function)and so itkeeps going for longer. TheNIMH chargethenrapidly drops away and they are spent. Alkalines don't hold that full charge for longbut deteriote more gradually, but that means the camera will stop functioning much sooner than with the NIMHs.

Rgds.

Adetri
Adetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 8:23 PM   #9

Just bought an H1, and after reading your posts I decided to try the alkalines.

My H1 would not even power up using alkaline batteries...very interesting!

Someone else here said that alkalines worked in their H1. But not in mine!

Perhaps a newer version of the firmware senses the 1.5V and locks out alkaline useage...???

Anyone else get the same results as I did?
JamesH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 11:00 PM   #10

When it comes to high drain devices like the DSCH1 the voltage of the battery has very little to do with the camera operating. Normal 1.5v alkaline batterys can produce about 1000 mAh,(how many milliamps the battery can produce in 1 hour). If the camera wants atleast 2100mAh(ie. the ones that come with it) this means that alkaline batteries would last 30min tops. Your best bet is to get some good 2500mAh NiMH batteries, i have 2 sets of panasonic, they charge in about 2 hours, and last a good amount of time. 1 set lasted me a whole day at the zoo :shock:

i hope this helps
cdn_fenix is offline   Reply With Quote