Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 27, 2005, 12:51 AM   #1

I just bought my Sony DSC-P200 and took it with me the next day for a three day trip to San Felipe, Mexico. I've been really impressed and pleased with the camera in all aspects, except two days into the trip, all of a sudden it seemed to 'break.'

Every time I take a picture where the flash goes off, it seems like the flash is out of sync with the actual shutter/camera. Sometimes the picture comes out totally black, sometimes it comes out totally whitewashed, and sometimes it comes out perfectly.

I've seen a few others on the internet with this problem (http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/digita...200%20problems) , and am wondering if theres a setting i've accidentally flipped, or should talk to Sony about it.

Thanks ahead of time.
EEder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2005, 9:17 AM   #2

I have read in other forums that people have actually damaged the flash by taking flash shots with their fingers accidently covering the flash, causing it to overheat. After repair, flash shots were fine again.
maxx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 10:54 AM   #3

Have you fix the issue? How? My P200 is having exactly similar problem.

Thanks,

F
ftahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 10:57 AM   #4

EEder wrote:
Quote:
I just bought my Sony DSC-P200 and took it with me the next day for a three day trip to San Felipe, Mexico. I've been really impressed and pleased with the camera in all aspects, except two days into the trip, all of a sudden it seemed to 'break.'

Every time I take a picture where the flash goes off, it seems like the flash is out of sync with the actual shutter/camera. Sometimes the picture comes out totally black, sometimes it comes out totally whitewashed, and sometimes it comes out perfectly.

I've seen a few others on the internet with this problem (http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/digita...200%20problems) , and am wondering if theres a setting i've accidentally flipped, or should talk to Sony about it.

Thanks ahead of time.
Have you fix you P200 issue? I have exactly same issue. Please let me know how to fix this. Thanks.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:41 AM   #5

I'm having this EXACT same problem with my camera.

I bought mine on ebay so it's a little difficult to send my camera in under any sort of warranty. I may drop by a store and purchase another one and just return the old one though. I still have the box and everything.

I doubt there's any sort of user fix for this. It's probably something that'd need to be adjusted by Sony, or a firmware update of some sort.
XStylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 1:44 AM   #6

I wouldn't recommend the old "swap" scam. Sony has the camera serial number as part of the bar code on the box, they will know if you return a different box or a camera whos serial number doesn't match the box.

Has anyone tried pressing the reset button inside the battery door for a fix to this problem?
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 1:57 AM   #7

CyberShotNut wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't recommend the old "swap" scam. Sony has the camera serial number as part of the bar code on the box, they will know if you return a different box or a camera whos serial number doesn't match the box.

Has anyone tried pressing the reset button inside the battery door for a fix to this problem?
As I said, I have the orginal box and everything. I make sure to keep boxes for everything I buy for warranty purposes. The fine print on some warranties require you to keep the original packaging. ^_^

I also tried the reset button and going through all the fun of reconfiguring the camera. Didn't do a thing.

XStylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 2:45 AM   #8

That's a weird problem. Can you post a test photo to show what it looks like?
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:55 PM   #9

I've manage to pin point to what it was. It is related to the pre-flash. Sometime it decided to just fire the pre-flash and the actual flash not fired resulting dark underexposed image. sometime it did not fire the pre-flash and the actual flash fires full power resulting overexposed image. some time it fires the pre-flash and the actual flash (which it supposed to) then you got proper exposed image.

I drop mine at Sony authourized service center near my home. The guy there doesn't even care what I explained as above, he just wrote down "flash not working properly" He told me it would take a week or two.

So I'm back to my reliable Fuji Finepix 2600. (I try to trow it out, but Fuji fix it for me at no cost, one year after the warranty expire )
Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:21 PM   #10

I too have a DSC-P200 that I bought in Hong Kong ... think about the problem of returning that!

I bought it in February and the problem showed up in May.

Anyways, please keep us advised about what happens when your camera comes back from Sony. btw - I tried the reset button inside the cover near the memory stick and it did absolutely no good.
gcarter is offline   Reply With Quote