Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 29, 2005, 6:36 PM   #1

I want to know the digital zoom on the P200

Some sites i go to say x 2 digital zoom, some say x 6 digital, and some dont even say

also, what is the difference b/e smart zoom and precision zoom
afro_ninj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2005, 8:30 PM   #2

There is actually 2X of digital zoom on the P200 making the total (optical+digital) zoom 6X. The precision digital is what is being referred to by the 2X/6X. The smart zoom just crops the center portion of the image at lower resolutions. The lower the resolution the camera is set at, the more smart zoom is available for use. 14X total zoom is available at VGA resolution.(640X480)
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 6:28 PM   #3

so if your just taking a normal picture, you have x2 digital zoom and when u use smart zoom at VGA do you have x14 total zoom or x 14 digital zoom?
afro_ninj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 7:36 PM   #4

He said "total".

Keep in mind that 2X digital zoom takes the camera from 7Mp to less than 2Mp. The 640 X 480 total zoom is 0.3Mp. Some cameras will interpolate a regular digital zoom back to the original MP, but it still has only the photographic information of the smaller image. I have a camera that doesn't interpolate the image back up, so you at least save the space on the card. But I have two others that interpolate it back up, so there is no advantage compared to just cropping the image yourself. The Smart Zoom doesn't interpolate the image back, so you can put lots of them on the card.

Most people feel it is better to just use the optical zoom and then use your computer to crop out the middle. That is all the digital zoom does. You can crop as small as you want, and there is freeware like Irfanview with a Lanczos interpolation filter that will do at least as well as having your camera do it. And you have the time to get it exactly framed the way you want it.

Most people don't use digital zoom once they realize it is just cropping out part of the image.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote