Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 3, 2005, 1:46 PM   #1

I plan to get a W7 or P200 and a 1 Gig Memory Stick.

Is the Sony better than the SanDisk?

Thee is also a high-speed model on the Sony. Would I really notice the difference - for an additional $75.

Why would anyone need a Duo - a smaller card with an adapter to fit in the camera.

Thanks, Allen
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2005, 9:53 AM   #2

The sandisk sticks are just as good as the sony sticks...in fact I only use the Sandisk sticks as they are slightly cheaper than the sony sticks. Make sure any stick you buy is labeled as a "pro". These sticks allow you to capture video at the highest quality setting. The high speed sticks do allow faster read and write times, but I've never really encountered a situation where I needed the high speed stick over the pro stick.

The duo is used in some of the ultra compact cams and for Sony's new gaming system the PSP. The adapter allows you to use this card in the larger devices. Unless you have a device that requires the duo, there is no reason to buy it over the regular memory stick.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:10 AM   #3

Well from what i hear, the sony and the sandisk are both good in quality, just the sandisk is a lot cheaper. as for highspeed cards, you NEED one if you are shootinglotsofmovies at 30 fps,(regular ones dont work), or ifyou want a paster upload speed. I was looking a few days ago and i saw a 1G Memory stick pro (sandisk) for $97 at Adorama (trustworthy site) which is not a bad price at all
afro_ninj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 11:12 AM   #4

Newegg has the SanDisk as a weekend special for $88.49. I'm planning to get one.

Thanks for your replies.
abredt is offline   Reply With Quote