Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 5, 2005, 1:51 PM   #1

Hi People

Wow really impressed with the size ofT7, what a diffrence 4 yrs can make since I had my DCS-P50 (2.1mp) I just need a few Question Answered

(1) Whats The recommend size 'Duo' Stick' to get if going on holiday 512/1Gb, and will it take bigger than 1 Gb

(2) the P50 had a 37mm thread to attach a lens to give you X6 optical, Does and will anything like that come out for the T7

(3) The battery for the T7 lasts about 60min, instead of buying 3 spare batteriescan you buy 1 powerfull one (or one that lasts longer than 60mins)

(4) Great Outdoors but indoors its blurry, did some tests indoors with the T7/P50 auto settings with/without optical zoom... the P50 produces Blur-free images, Why the step back, has something gone wrong

(5) I just got to put this question In... My Digital Camcorder 'Panasonic NV-GS200' (3 CCD) (£950) takes 2.3mp still shots, They tend to be Over-Sharpened, Can anyone help me out why, and can I soften the image to normal << Reason for using Because I can Use the X10 optical Zoom and Image Stablisation >> Where the T7 Can't

(6) Still Looking for the 'Ultimate Digital Camera' It has to be the Panasonic FZ5, BUT..................

Pocket Size

takes AA

X12 or more OIS (anti Shake)

Non Protuding lens

8 Mp or more

How many years will I need to wait.....4 or 5 years

Hope people can help.............Zack
zack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2005, 2:56 PM   #2

1. I have a 1gb stick, which is the largest currently available, however the 512mb stick is much more cost effective. I'm not sure how many pictures you will take so I cannot answer the capacity question.

2. No

3. No

4. It comes down to shutter speed and technique. The T7 has small optics and a small CCD and requires more light, thus compared to your P50 it will require A) a longer exposure or B) a higher ISO (and more noise). To improve technique, practice taking pictures with a dime on top of your T7, this is good practice to reduce unwanted hand movements jerking the camera as you push the shutter release. Improving the lighting or increasing the ISO will also reduce blur as the exposure time will be less.

You can also rest the camera on something, even at least partially, will help with decreasing movement.

5. It sounds like image post-processing by the camcorder. You can soften the image in Photoshop or some similar program. Additionally the camcorder may have a setting controlling this.

6. Good luck on that one
Frangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 5:10 PM   #3

Hi Wow Thanks for the quick response's just 2 more questions that I forgot

(7) Whats the Highest Capcity Memory stick Does the 'DSC P50 (2.1mp) Take, I have a 128mb, will it take

(8) I'M SORRY THE T7 HAS TO GO, ITS LET ME DOWN today 'OUTDOORS' WITH BLURRY PICTURES SO.............. IS THERE ANOTHER MAKE/MODEL (around same size/x3 optical (non-protuding lens) THAT WILL GIVE ME BETTER RESULTS, SHAME REALLY SO NICE,YET POOR RESULTS

Thanks.....

Zack D

The P50 might let me down with poor exposure (sometimes) but never blur...
Old Jul 6, 2005, 5:41 PM   #4

I have no idea about the P50 I'm afraid.

All the small pocket cameras use small, folded optics and a small CCD, so they have similar light/exposure requirements.

You can get a Nikon S1 which tells you when your pictures are blurry and suck after taking them. Unfortunately, it's twice the thickness of the T7 and the movie mode sucks.

If you're blurring outdoors you're probably jerking the camera when you take the picture because the ergonomics are different. Most people I've shown my T7 to never seem to hold it very comfortably because it's so different.

Like I said, put a dime on top of the camera and practice taking pictures without jerking the poor thing around Holding it steady should eliminate any blur outdoors and some blur indoors.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 6:38 PM   #5

A 128mb stick is the maximum you can use with the P50. There is also a 256mb stick that has two 128mb sections with a switch on it to select between the two sections which will also work with the P50, but none of the PRO sticks would work with it.

As for the T7, if you don't mind the slightly larger size, you'll be much better off with a W5, W7 or P200 if you want excellent picture quality.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 6:49 PM   #6

Those take better pictures but I still don't think it's fair to blame the camera entirely for blurry shots outdoors.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 9:16 PM   #7

Ok People Some Tests Performed:-

Please go to this URL

http://www.pbase.com/zack1978/inbox

OK "TEST P50" and "TEST T7" both camera used with x3 optical zoom, auto settings in my room which contains a lamp <<Results>> The P50 image although dark, but fully readable text on box, Where the T7 is Brighter but unreadable Text....

.. another example "Glasgow1" was taken with no zoom, auto settings, Nice image.... "Glasgow2" same place but with x3 optical zoom resulting in a slight Blur image.... << worse case its hard to see on the 2" LCD if its blurry or not>>

.. photo "T7 1" of my car taken on T7,auto,x3optical, has come-out excellant

.. Must'nt forget the "P50 Himalayas 2" (x3 optical) image Which shows you the old boys still got life in the CCD yet

Hope that helps

Old Jul 7, 2005, 1:54 AM   #8

Regarding the first shot, I am guessing it is hand movement as the exposure time on the T7 is longer.

Regarding the Glasgow zoom shot, both have the same exposure time, so again I'm going to assume it is hand movement responsible for the inconsistent blur.

And finally, the car picture is at a slower exposure time than the Glasgow zoom shot-- I just think you got some hand movement in there.

I think the "blur" with the T7 in outdoor shots is a combination of slightly longer exposure times combined with the "unique" ergonomics of a thin camera resulting in a less steady grip and more jerk when the shutter release is pressed for many people.

The Himalayas shot on your P50 is 1/500th sec, on the T7 the outdoor shots are 1/50th sec and 1/40th sec, so there's more potential for blur if the camera moves.

zack33 wrote:
Quote:
Ok People Some Tests Performed:-

Please go to this URL

http://www.pbase.com/zack1978/inbox

OK "TEST P50" and "TEST T7" both camera used with x3 optical zoom, auto settings in my room which contains a lamp <<Results>> The P50 image although dark, but fully readable text on box, Where the T7 is Brighter but unreadable Text....

.. another example "Glasgow1" was taken with no zoom, auto settings, Nice image.... "Glasgow2" same place but with x3 optical zoom resulting in a slight Blur image.... << worse case its hard to see on the 2" LCD if its blurry or not>>

.. photo "T7 1" of my car taken on T7,auto,x3optical, has come-out excellant

.. Must'nt forget the "P50 Himalayas 2" (x3 optical) image Which shows you the old boys still got life in the CCD yet

Hope that helps

Old Jul 7, 2005, 8:57 AM   #9

Ok so if..........I HAVE TO APOLIGISE HAS I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ON PHOTOGRAPHY, SOME OF MY QUESTION GO REALLY DEEP INTO EACH SUBJECT

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Test P50.JPG
Sony Cybershot
1/30s f/3.9 at 19.2mm iso320

Test T7.JPG
Sony DSC-T7
1/8s f/4.4 at 19.0mm iso320

BOTH USING SAME ISO, BUT P50 USING 1/30s resulted in Blur free, WhereAs T7 is using 1/8s resulted in Blur, If The T7 had used 1/30s would it have been Blur free.
Also Both used Iso 320, but why is the T7 image more brighter (even though its blurred)
OK Another silly newbie question... What does the f/3.9 mean and what whould be the results if Both The P50 and T7 had

f/1.1
f/100.100

I'm assuming the 19.1/mm is how far i was from the object

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glasgow.JPG
Sony DSC-T7
1/50s f/3.5 at 6.3mm iso64

Glasgow 2.JPG
Sony DSC-T7
1/50s f/4.4 at 19.0mm iso125

Both Photos were taken seconds from each other 'auto settings' WHY did the T7 chose 'iso125' for 'glasow2.jpg' instead of iso64, WOULD I HAVE HAD LESS BLUR IF
ISO was 64
f/3.5 at 6.3mm Instead of using f/4.

Why is it on both photos I am viewing (AND FOCUSSING ON OBJECT)the city at least 1 kilometer in distance,yet the T7 has used(or focused) at6.3mm and 19.0mm WHAT RESULTS WOULD I GET IF IT HAD USED 1000000mm (which i think works out at about 1 kilometer)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T7 1.JPG
Sony DSC-T7
1/40s f/3.5 at 6.3mm iso64

No Comments Here apart from T7 set to auto yet is used iso64, why not use Iso0 (ie none)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P50 Himalayas 2.JPG
Sony Cybershot
1/500s f/8.0 at 6.4mm iso100

Any tips on how this photo could have been improved upon(MANUALLY SETIINGS) (and again in Auto why use iso 100) on a bright day

Hope You Can help
Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:13 AM   #10

The F-Stop is how much the lens is open relative to the focal length. Larger F number = less light. Less light = longer exposure.

If the T7 had the P50's F-stop there, it would gather more light and not need such a long exposure.

Re: Glasgow. No, with a lower ISO, the exposure time would be *longer*. Thus more chance for the camera to move and blur.

And what is ISO 0?