Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 6, 2005, 11:13 PM   #1

I used to have a Sony DSC-70, which I bought in Fall 2000. I could take it to Disneyland and get amazing shots (dark, but clear) in Pirates of the Caribbean and even the Haunted Mansion. In years past, in an effort to get something faster and with more battery power, I tried a Casio Exilim, another Sony, and even a Nikon Coolpilx.* All product blurry pictures in the same situations that the DSC-70 did great in.What was so special about the DSC-70 that all the newer, fancier cameras can't handle?* I'm about to buy yet another camera before my trip to California, and I fear I'll just waste $500 more on something else that won't do as good as the old DSC-70.Had the 70 been better on battery life, and faster (took ages to power up, and between shots!) I'd still be using it.Thoughts?* * *-- AllenSamples of Casio versus old DSC-70 at http://disneyfans.com/a/
allenhuffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2005, 12:46 AM   #2

My theroy:

The CCDs have remained the same size, so a lower resolution CCD will have less noise as it has less elements in close proximity.

Also, as the light sensing elements are larger, more photons fall on each one.
Frangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 12:47 AM   #3

After looking at the EXIF data between the two pictures you posted, the reason for the blurry pictures you are getting with the other cameras is because of the smaller lens aperture resulting in slower shutter speeds. Your Sony DSC-S70 has an aperture of f2 and a shutter speed of 1/30th second where your Casio EX-Z4 has an aperture of f2.6 and a shutter speed of 1/8th second in that picture. The larger the aperture(smaller f number) the faster the shutter speed will be with the same lighting. Also increasing the ISO value will increase the shutter speed with the same lighting, but will result in noisier, more grainy pictures.

You can try increasong the ISO value on your Casio or similar camera and see if you like the results.

If you take alot of photos like the ones you posted, your best bet would be to find a deal on a camera with a large lens aperture like the Sony DSC-F707, DSC-F717 or DSC-F828.

CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 12:58 AM   #4

I actually did dump the data in one of the Sony pics, and tried to recreate that with my new Sony, but it didn't help -- that leaves the lens itself, and having a lower megapixel camera that can produce superior results in those situations.It also implies that today's cameras have software that is just not as well designed for this type of image.* I can't, for instance, sit in my livingroom with the light on and take a photo without flash and get a non-blurry image.* But, the old Sony could.So are we talking large lens (to collect more light), or lower megapixels (larger receptors for the image) or ... something else? As long as I can find a unit that is fast, and has long battery life, I'm happy. (I used to run down three batteries for the old Sony in a day at the park, and it's lag time and time between shots was enough to make taking pics of a passing parade fruitless ;-)Thanks for the comments! Very good so far. I played with manual modes on my new Sony, basically just adjusting things until the 'hand' went away on the display, but those made images far too dark. I guess I really just want to point and shoot. I routinely take 500+ pics a day during these trips.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 12:59 AM   #5

(Now if I can figure out why this BB runs all my paragraphs together; it must not like my browser.)
Old Jul 7, 2005, 1:16 AM   #6

What model is your new Sony?
Old Jul 7, 2005, 1:19 AM   #7

So far, so good. Looking for cameras that can go to f2.0 like my old DSC-S70 limits my choices quite a bit. Is it likely that a camera that can do that, will be similar to the old S70?The Sony I am currently using is the W1. Great battery life, great spead, but useless in Pirates ;-)
Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:04 AM   #8

With your W1, set the camera to "M" mode, ISO400 and 1/25th of a second shutter speed(screen says 25, not 25")and try some no flash indoor pictures at that setting.

Your screen should look like this:
Attached Images