Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:00 PM   #1

Hello all-

I have used my H1 for about 3 weeks now and have been very pleased with the performance and features of this camera. My only complaint is that none of the pictures I take have the clarity and definition of those with the Kodak; I could get amazing detail with the 7590 that was evident when you zoomed in with picture viewing software. The H1 pictures while good are soft and muddled when you magnify or zoom in the view of the picture. Have I got a bad camera/lens or is this just the difference between the Sony and Kodak (Schneider) lens. Thanks in advance.

Trolly
trolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2005, 7:42 AM   #2

Hi,

I can only compare my H1 with my previous DSC-S70a much older, but in its day one of the best with its CZeiss Lens -- and I do findthe H1 plentysharp at all times (photographer error excluded of course)...

I am sure you know that there are contrast and sharpness settings burried in the menus of the H1. I have read slightly conficting reviews on the sharpness settings - one reviewer (can't remember which) said it was a bit soft, butincreasing the sharpness setting sorted it out, another said it oversharpened at times (I assume on default settings).... so it could be down to personal taste and slight differences machine to machine?

How sharp is at macro level? Having taken a few shots at, say 4cm, the sharpness of detail is very good on the H1 in my experience.

Some help maybe?

Adetri.
Adetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:24 PM   #3

Thank you Adetri-

Isn't is correct that the sharpness and contrast settings can only be adjusted when you are in manual mode and not automatic. Also, do you have very good detail with camera in Auto mode. Thanks again!

Trolly
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:04 PM   #4

trolly wrote:
Quote:
Thank you Adetri-

Isn't is correct that the sharpness and contrast settings can only be adjusted when you are in manual mode and not automatic. Also, do you have very good detail with camera in Auto mode. Thanks again!

Trolly
Sharpness, Contrast and Saturation settings are valid for P, A, S and M modes. See page 37 of the H1 manual.

According to resolution tests, the H1 has a lot higher resolution than the 7590. 1350/1450 LPH for the H1 versus 1100/1200 LPH for the 7590: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydsch1/page11.asp

Maxx
maxx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 2:01 PM   #5

Trolly

I had a similar problem with my first Sony H1, I thought it was poor resolution compare to my previous Panasonic FZ5. I returned it and was sent a replacement and look at the difference, the old H1 is the top photo.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=14241466

The images was taken at full zoom and is 100% crop, the only problem is the purple fringing but PSP9 removes that no problem.

Hope this helps.

blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:40 PM   #6

Thanks for your reply and info Blackthorn- that is a striking difference between the 2 and very representative of what I am experiencing. I now know what I need to do. Thanks again!

Trolly
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:24 AM   #7

Glad to help :-)
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote