Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:02 AM   #1

When I purchased my Sony W5 a week ago the screen looked fine. Then while I was using it yesterday I found thatone of the pixels had died. This leads me to a couple questions:

Is it normal for camera screen to have at least one dead pixel on them?

Do pixels sometimes die on the screen?

The dead pixel is located approx. 1/2 inch up from the bottom and in from the right of the screen.

Should I return the camera and get a new one?

Pheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2005, 4:56 PM   #2

Get a new one. If 1 pixel dies, then it might a defective LCD, and more might die periodically.

Although from my experience HP still hold the crown for defective LCDs. (Can you tell I'm still bitter about it?)
Pic-It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:26 PM   #3

Dead Pixels occur during the process of making the LCD. It is normal for a certain amount to come out with 1 or 2 dead pixels on any LCD screen. I would return it and get a new one since it is very very annoying.. Especially if it is located in the center area... THe main factor for screens having dead pixels in the first place is cheaper labor costs in the production. If the workers took their time when building the screen, they can't work as fast and at the moment, they (Sony) prefer speed over quality and can settle for a few dead pixels here and there..

I wouldn't worry about more appearing...this doesn't happen often.
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 12:13 PM   #4

I exchanged the camera for a new one and the screen looks better on this one. However I did notice one thing with it. If I apply a bit of pressure when wiping off the screen and then look at the screen at a sharp angle I see what looks like an oil smear in the middle of the screen. By oil smear I mean a multi-color pattern on the screen kind of like if you put a drop of something between two pieces of glass and squeezed them together. This seems to go away after about an hour. Is this something to be concerned with?
Old Jul 26, 2005, 6:11 AM   #5

You are not supposed to press hard on screens like that as it can permantly damage them. The same thing happens if you press the screen of a laptop or a TFT monitor.
rob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 8:34 AM   #6

I don't think I pressed that hard.

I also noticed that the mark was there this morning and I hadn't done anything witht he camera except take it outside to take some sample pictures.

Is such a pattern normal on LCD screens? Or do I need to exchange it for a new one?

Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:42 AM   #7

You might have damaged the screen as you arnt meant to apply alot of pressure on them as mentioned before its the same as with a TFT monitor
deanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 12:51 PM   #8

The smudge is only visible when I look at the screen at a shallow angle. Viewing it at 90 degrees (dead on) or within a normal viewing angle I haven't notice it.

As an example, this morning when I first looked at my camera I didn't see the smudge. I then went outside and took a number of pictures. When I came back inside, the smudge was faintly visible although the area that it covered was smaller than what I saw just after I got the camera (as I described above).

What I was wondering though was 1) what causes this multi-color smudge to appear and 2) is it a defective screen?

Old Jul 29, 2005, 8:01 AM   #9

At room temperature the actual _liquid_ crystal 'glop' is a quite viscous fluid. Google for how the LCD display is put together. By pressing on it you are effectively squeezing the compound out of the pressed area. In time it will flow back and the smudge will disappear. Moderately higher temperature (30-40 C) will speed up the process.
kh1234567890 is offline   Reply With Quote