Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 26, 2005, 7:03 PM   #1

I just got my H1 last week. Love it so far, big step up from my Olympus C750. I don't much care for the auto pop up flash, but that is a minor issue. My biggest problem is with the size of the LCS-HA case. It is huge! The camera is only slightly larger than my C750 yet in the case it is more than twice the size of the Oly in its case. Are there any options? Perhaps a generic case that is a little closer fit with less padding. I don't plan on dropping it from an airplane at 20,000 feet! I actuallythink it might survive in the Sony case but I need something less bulky. I hike a lot and would even prefer something that can optionally be used on my belt instead of a shoulder strap.

Thanks for any suggestions.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2005, 3:46 PM   #2

The LCS-HA is indeed quite big. Big enough to take the H1 with the adaptor and hood attached, a handful of batteries and a couple of sandwiches. The worst thing about the LCS-HA is that there is no obvious place to put the H1 strap - either you can leave it hanging out or you end up stuffing it on top of the LCD (not a good idea). The padding is definitely a bit overgenerous.

Surely there must be some enterprising Chinese handbag manufacturer who could make a case that actually fits ?

Is the leather case any smaller ?
kh1234567890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 1:15 AM   #3

Have you tried the Lowepro Site? http://lowepro.com/ Click on "view compatibility charts." I found several sizes and styles that they say will fit the H1. Of course, you'llhave to try them out to find the one with the correct padding, pockets andfeatures to fit your needs. When I bought my V3 I bought the smallest one that would hold the camera (D-RES 10AW) so I couldcarry it on my belt without having to walk like Popeye, and it wasn't listed as a fit for my camera. Where I live, (SoCAL)they're available at Fry's Electronics, Comp USAandRitz to mention a few.Just click on the"where to buy" button on their page.

I spent $15 and it's weather proof &small; perfect for me. Hope this helps.

-RSee
RSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 1:56 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. All of the cases I see listed still seem bigger than they need to be. To get your case did you just take your camera into the storeand try cases until you found the smallest that would fit?
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 3:42 PM   #5

muggle wrote:
Quote:
...did you just take your camera into the storeand try cases until you found the smallest that would fit?
Yes; I bought it from Calumet and they're small enough to let me do that without their getting weird about this guy stuffing a camera into a dozen cases. I made a mess with all the unpackingof cardboard, paper and straps, but I did put everything back.

Guess I was a little anal but it worked out well. Like I said, the one I bought wasn't listed to fit my camera, and if I want to carry anything else, even a spare battery, I may have a problem.

I started out with a Pentax Optio S40—the size of a pack of cigarettes—which was barely noticeable when carried in a caseon my belt, and that's what I wanted to accomplish again. But the V3 is much larger in depth and the recommended cases would definitely preclude arm swinging. I carry it sideways with the lens outward and the grip on top, sort of a quick-draw style.

Looking at the H1, the dimensions seem fairly symmetrical but I'd carry it with the large LCD protected byfacing inward and let the lens-cap protect the lens.

Let me know how it turns out.
RSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 4:23 PM   #6

Hey , I just got mine from Ebay. I't not an original SONY , but it's very well made and the camera fits exactly in the case. Look here: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Leather-Came...QQcmdZViewItem
stevef50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 5:58 PM   #7

There must be a Chinese handbag manufacturer lurker on this forum !

For only $25 I think I'll get one also. In the meantime, I got to use the LCS-HA case in anger over the last couple of weeks. Belt-worn it wasn't too bad and at times I was glad it did have the generous padding, like when it rolled out of the back seat of a car onto a concrete road. Didn't even bounce
kh1234567890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:47 PM   #8

"Leather" Camera Bag: Imitation - Should I???? Nah, I can't go for this deal without feeling how fake it is first.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Leather-Came...QQcmdZViewItem
runtothedaylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:32 PM   #9
sdh

thread bump. Any other H1 owners have a case they want recommend? thanks!
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:40 PM   #10

I have bought a Lowepro Edit 110 case after taking the camera to the shop. The case is just big enough to take the camera and the lens hood plus a few spare batteries.
popalot is offline   Reply With Quote