Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:58 AM   #1

I had ben waiting for the W5 to price drop $313 not bad plus an extra $30 Gift Card off, CompUSA

Vey happy for a few days,

But the Vibration WARNING will not stop out of 100 pics 80 will be blurry unuseable

I called SONY they said there is no way to turn off the Vibration

When I asked the SONY Rep over the phone how to stop fast moving subjects they said just set toISO 400.

I like the camera alot USB 2.0, Blazing fast shutter speeds and shot to shot faster than Canon SD400/500 and Nikon 5900/7900

But unfortunately, every image it takes is blurry

What gives :-)
bboiweapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2005, 8:50 PM   #2

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old Jul 29, 2005, 1:19 AM   #3

alright does this happen indoorsor outdoors or both?if it happens outdoors during the day then its probably a fault inthe camera.

Butotherwiseyou just need to practice holding the camera, try holding with both hands while taking pictures.. because taking pics with one hand on the shutter releasealone isjust asking for blurry pictures even at high shutter speeds.

second are you prefocusing your pictures, i mean half depressing the shuter release and waiting for the beep before pressing down all the way?

these are just a few simple things that i could think off right now .
Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 2:10 AM   #4

Well it maily happens indoors lowlight situations.

I do always Pre-Focus and love to do so, With a prefocus shutter speed blazzing fast of 0.011 sec Shutter Lag. I don't want to return it. But I may have to

Just about every pics taken with no flash at night or indoors is Blurry.

I am a beginner to photography period, I am hesitating to go to the CoolPix 5900

because it lacks USB 2.0, Some Maunual Controls (Which even as a Beginer I appreciate on the W5 very capable at 1/1000 in daylight to stop even the fastest car)

In general I feel as though the Images are "Soft" Colors are Just Exact

Overall The reviews say that the W5 gives me 1.6 Fps and the CP59002.0 Fps

to me that means You can take 2 pics per sec.

I just can't decide between the 5900 and W5

Review Wise the 5900 is dominating the W5

But its har to part with the W5's 2.5" TFT LCD USB 2.0 and Super Fast 0.011 Shutter Lag even the SD500 can't touch that Shutter Lag.

I wish I knew if the 5900 Was USB 2.0
Old Jul 29, 2005, 4:41 AM   #5

well its only natural that you'd get blurry shots in those environments unless u have steady hands, usually the sony sets the shutter release at 1/30 or 1/8 especially without flash, same goes for night time shots.

and i dont think that yer gonna have better luck with any other camera, so i'd say give the W5 a few more days and practice with holding the camera steady while taking pics indoors, if you are still not happy with it then i guess you can exchange it for something which u are more comfortable with .
Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 8:33 AM   #6

bboiweapon wrote
Quote:
But the Vibration WARNING will not stop out of 100 pics 80 will be blurry unuseable
I called SONY they said there is no way to turn off the Vibration
The 'shaky hand' is just a warning. Why would you want to turn it off ?

I've had a W1 for about a year now and after a while you get a feel for what it can do and what it can't.

In low light make sure that the focus lock (steady green dot) comes on - this can take a while in bad light. Zoom out - you get a wider aperture and any shake will be less noticeable. Prop up the camera on something or steady yourself against an immovable object. Up the ISO to 400 - it is often better to have a noisy shot than a blurred one.

This was taken handheld at 1 sec, pressing my camera holding hand against some railings.

http://flickr.com/photos/kh1234567890/9782661/
kh1234567890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:26 AM   #7

I definitely appreciate the photos, But being a early beginer, I can't be fumbling around with f stop values and shutter speeds on the W5.

To pictures are all about stopping motion, and at 1/400 the W5 does well.

But Indoors I can not seem to take a clear photo unless I have Flash on.

I love the Sony W5 It beats the more expensive SD400, and its 0.011 Shutter speeds are un-matched

Old Jul 29, 2005, 4:38 PM   #8

The camera shake warning is correct and you would not want to turn it off anyway. It is there to tell you to place the camera on a sturdy platform because shutter speed is too slow to hold only by hand. As you are aware, this happens in low light situations.

How can you respond to the alert?

First you MUST steady the camera and there are several ways you can do that. My first suggestion is NEVER to use the LCD indoors. ALWAYS use the optical viewfinder. Why? because it is a more steady position to shoot from. You are using your head to steady the camera rather than trying to hold the camera out in front of you in mid-air while you look at the LCD. That is a guaranteed blurry shot!

The next thing to try is to use the flash indoors! When youturn onthe flash, the camera will set itself to the flash sync speed (which for Sonys appears to be around 1/40th). This may seem slow but that is because the camera is counting on the flash to stop action rather than the shutter speed...the flash is only a few thousanths of a second and all the camera needs to do is make sure the shutter is open when the flash fires...so 1/40th of a second.

You will run into problems, however, with flash range. The buitl-in flashes on these cameras are always underpowered and if you try to take a picture too far away...it will be too dark. One way of making sure you stay within the flash range is to NEVER use the zoom indoors! This will force you to move closer...and that will be within the range of the flash. Also, using the zoom magnifies camera shake and so sticking to wide angle reduces that problem too!

You can try to increase the camera's sensitivity by increasing the ISO level which will give you a faster shutter speed but with the risk of increased noise. Personally, I am more concerned with getting the shot than with noise.

Finally, you can rest the camera on some steady support. If I know I am going to be doing low light shots, I always have a tripod. Now, a tripod doesn't have to be 6 feet tall...I have a small one that is 6 inches tall but does the job of holding the camera steady.

Sometimes, very slow shutter speed shots can be effected by the movement of pressing the shutter button. That can be enough to blur the shot...so to fix that I sometimes use the camera's 10 second self-timer to take the shot without me having to touch it. Of course, the camera is on a tripod when I use this.

There are lots of thing you can do to respond to the camera shake alert and get clear shots.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 9:13 AM   #9

OK, Bboy!! You say you are a beginner... So, either listen to people's advises and dont complain about the W5, it is a damn good machine, especially for beginners.....

I have taken award winning pictures with a 1 megapixel camera, no zoom, It is ALL about WHAT YOU SEE AND HOW you capture it....

Hold the camera steady, look ahead, imagine the result, and go on..... It is NOT the camera that will do it for you, it is YOU who will do it if you choose to go and continue to shoot, learn, practice, and shoot again..... You will take 1000 photos, that yuou will not like any, whether you buy a Nikon, Panasonic, Sony or whatever from another planet - it TAKES time to learn and be artistic...... If you are not there yet, practise !!!

Good luck !
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 2:12 PM   #10

Thank you for the input.

Very well put that for every 1,000 bad shots the one great one is unforgetable, Or something like that.

But after some serious comparios of images both at imaging-resource and dcresource

The images produced by the W5 and W7, are terrible check out their Mickey Mouse Its soo bLurry its simply unacceptable.