Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 29, 2005, 4:53 PM   #1

? I am trying to use my generic slave flash in conjunction with the W7 flash. The slave would be the "main light" and the in-camera flash the "fill light". The W7 preflash for metering sets off the slave prematurely before the exposure. Can it be defeated? Sony has a small HVL-FSL1B that supposely works. Any ideas?
ronrowand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2005, 7:55 PM   #2

I would seriously downrate the W7 I purchased because there seems to be no way to use an off-camera flash as modelling light or for close-ups.

A slave unit is set off prematurely by the exposure pre-flash. The unit sold by Sony can only be used attached to the camera according to several requests for info to Sony tech support.

Ron Rowand
Old Aug 1, 2005, 9:04 PM   #3

The Sony slave flash works with the pre-flash metering and does not have to be directly connected to the camera.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 5:46 PM   #4

I found the answer in the "flash" forum. It is a well-known problem that a pre-flash will set off a conventional slave flash prematurely. There are several units available to overcome this. I just received and tested a Vivitar DF120 from B-H for $35. It works perfectly. It has a feet guide number of about 40 @ EI100, same as my camera. I can use it manually off-camera as a main light, with the camera flash as fill-in. Vivitar also has a DF200 of G.N. about 92 for those who need major light to supplement the camera flash.

Yes, Sony support answered me incorrectly that their flash would only work on camera. They deserved to not get the order!
Old Oct 24, 2005, 6:17 AM   #5

common sense should have told you that the Sony slave unit will work whether its on or off the camera since there is no electronic connection between the two. The flash bracket is just that -- a bracket to hold it conveniently on the camera. But the slave would work just as well if you stood it on a nearby support of any kind, tripod, table-top etc., provided it was not too far away from the camera flash to trigger it,and it's pointiing in the general direction of the subject.
pip22 is offline   Reply With Quote