Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 31, 2005, 9:37 AM   #1

I have just bought an sony w5, and here is a pic.
Attached Images

JosseJossan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:03 AM   #2

interesting shot.. what is it?

i'm buying a digicam soon and am considering the W5, how do you like it so far?

I admit I am looking at it primarily because of the feature set.. USB 2.0, movie mode, 2.5" LCD (or is it 2"?), small size, "Stamina" battery life, and Sony memory stick use (have a PSP with a couple duo pros already). But how do you find image quality in general.. require much post processing for bright crisp colors? and is red eye really that much worse than other point and shoot's?

I'd also love to see some outdoor night shots.
oneness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 11:47 AM   #3

The camera is very good on outdoor shots and indoors with good light, But if it is bad light the picture can be a little bit blurry if you dont hold the camera with a good grip. (Sorry, my english is not so good and I hope you can understand anyway =))

I really like the camera so far. I have not takenthat much pictures yet but I can say that I am satisfied with the quality and colors.

I can post some more pictures here, and you can descide on your own. =)

Look atthe other topic about the sony w1 (that is almost the same as sony w5), where a lot of people have posted really great pictures!

Attached Images

JosseJossan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 2:21 PM   #4

On I recently bought and returned a Sony W5 from CompUSA $313 a price match from CircuitCity, and a $30 Free Gift card good deal.

W5's are currently going for $299 to $329.00

Heres my story I returned my W5 after a week.

There is no way to turn of the Vibration WARNING (annoying)

Very limited and useless shooting modes and dumb i.e. Beach mode in full sunlight still fires the Flash.

Worst of all Compare the images of Mickey taken with the W7 which is the same camera as the w5

Compare to a Conon A510 or any other 5 megapixel the Images produced by the W5/W7 are Horribly Smooth

I can not recomend the W5, Sure its has nice Limited Manual Controls of Shutter, Apperture etc.

But as a P&S I don't have time nor wish to fumble around with settings to adjust to Fireworks, Museums, Sports, etc. its Macro mode is terrible.

bboiweapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 2:44 PM   #5

WOW, are you definitely set to start a war here against Sony W models or what?

The poster makes a point of HOW GOOD the camera is, and you go again, contradicting... Maybe you sghould just learn the camera and then be the judge? Steve also likes the cam, BUT, THE best is to use it, take 10000 pictures, and then you will be an authority on the camera.... Trust me, I had the W1 as soon as they came out, and took over 10,000 pictures..... The camera is great... AGAIn, itis apoint and shoot with manual abilitires as well, but it is not a DSLR. The beauty of this camera is that it is totally pocketable and the LCD is great for viewing and composing the shots..... Trust me, no Nikon, Fuji, Olu=ympus or any other, in a P & S (point and shoot) range, are not perfect either.... But the cam takes great outdoor shots, and even indoors. You may need a slave flash to brighten up the scene more than what it is designed fore (10-12 feet), ancdx you can also use teleconverter , like the 1.7x or even 3x tele lenses, then you will be happy !

Or maybe you just got a defective model? Sony is known for lousy quality controil and sometimes let the "dogs" out!

Try to exchange it, or better yet, get the Panasonic FZ5 and forgetabbout the rest !
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 7:51 AM   #6

bboiweapon, the flash fires with the beach setting in bright sunlight to 'kill' the harsh shadows wich could spoil an otherwise great picture, it's intentional and it's also a well knownfact if you know anything about photography in bright sunlight. And if you still insist you know better, you can simply turn the flash off with the little flash setting button.

I have a W17 (W7 in black) and it takes great pictures. Just have to get used to the small size 'cos I've been using a Pentax film SLR for the last 20 years but now I decided it way too bulky with all the lenses and what-not and it was being left at home more often than not. I love taking pictures, I just don't love hauling my SLR around any more. With the Sony I can take it anywhere, and it's very well made.
pip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:47 AM   #7

JosseJ, I like your photo -- very nice!

Deciding to comment on this thread was tough, but here goes:

bboiweapon,please lighten up. Just because the W5 does not meet YOUR needs orexpectations, does not mean others have the same feelings or experiences.

In fact, MANY others feel the W5 is an outstanding camera and have postedexcellent refuting photos in your other flaming thread (http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=28 ). Many excellent W5-taken photos are also available across the web and on other review sites.

Tip: you might also avoid suchhighlynarrow-minded words as "dumb", "Horribly Smooth", etc.

My Dad had a saying when he met such opinionated obstinancy: " 'Each to his own', said the Little Ol' Lady as she kissed the cow's xxx." That is a true, albeit earthy,observation of humankind and a good way to avoid fights. "My way" is not always someone else's way, "My walk" is not someone else's walk.

So, just let it go. Try to offer constructive, not destructive, advice ... and that is often simply how you phrase it! Letothers have their own fun with the cameras they are proud of and the photos they made themselves!

hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 5:07 PM   #8

I think the w5 is a fantastic camera. The photos are birhgt, well saturated and sharp. The cam itself is very easy to use and take good photos indoors and out. There has been the sameargument going on and on and it seems to work in the favour of ppl thimnking this is a really great camera.

Macro mode?
Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 5:08 PM   #9

macro
Attached Images

Old Oct 26, 2005, 5:15 PM   #10

Ohh and funky pic by the way Jossejossan