Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 31, 2005, 9:31 AM   #1

well i am planning to buy a sony s40...

when i checked the reviews on the this website.. it said it had a manual model and we can take the shutter from 30 secs to 1/1000 in the manual mode..

but when i went to the store the sales man said it doesnt have MANUAl in it.. i tired looking for it but i did not find it..

does a S40 has a manual mode where u can take long exposure pictures

please help
exclusive_creation is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2005, 9:04 AM   #2

My advice, dont buy it. Ive had a few of them already and I dont like the design. I dont know about the manual mode though, sorry.

:?
darntoothysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 9:50 PM   #3

hi.
i just have the camera and i must say that i fairly like it .its a nice tiny camera with a very easy usage.i dont think if any could have a problem figuring out how to use it.about the shutter you can do it only with choosing scene modes like night mode.and one last advise if you want to buy this camera i must say you will like it unless you want to take many macros cause it has a very weak auto macro mode(about 10-15 cent).
good luck
yashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 9:57 PM   #4

hi.
i just have the camera and i must say that i fairly like it .its a nice tiny camera with a very easy usage.i dont think if any could have a problem figuring out how to use it.about the shutter you can do it only with choosing scene modes like night mode.and one last advise if you want to buy this camera i must say you will like it unless you want to take many macros cause it has a very weak auto macro mode(about 10-15 cent).
good luck
yashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:00 PM   #5

Hi EC,

I too faced the same situation when I bought Sony S40. I thought it has manual mode where we can set the shutter speed and aperture. Sadly to say, it does not have manual mode like allits reviews claim. But you still can manually set the WB, exposure compensation, flash exposure, and metering. There is no manual focus, but it let you choose either center-point focusor multi-point focus.

Asfar aslonger shutter speed, the camera will set itsspeed itself. Whenit's low light situation, it will set the speed to 1" or longer and show "hand-vibration" warning sign (not sure the correct term for this).

In terms of the aperture, I find it always automatically set either to 2.8 (when it's in wide zoom) and 5.1 (when it's in telephoto zoom).

I was disappointed when found out it does not have a manual mode. However,the camera is for my girlfriend and shemuchprefers a camera with auto mode. And she really loves the camera. It's small, cheap,automatic with some nicefeatures, and it's Sony.

Hope it helps.

Cartiano

cartiano is offline   Reply With Quote