Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 19, 2005, 3:35 PM   #21

well said all..

i have a dsc-p200(follows the same W5 W7 path).

Guess what i selected it after testing Canon SD500 and P200 side by side for 17 days.

U talked abt Canon quality which i'm not questioning...

take this simple test.... any situations, take a ISO400 images from both, and then talk to me...

Sony kicks the other camera's a** big time !!

i'm a sony fan and anytime from now i wud go for a Sony one.. they are surging ahed of other cams like... HELL , o YEA !!

smitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 8:40 PM   #22

I love Sony cameras, but I do believe that Sony customer support doesn't have a clue about any of their products. I have called them numerous times about a technical question and have never gotten a straight answer from anyone!
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 2:55 PM   #23

Just my .02 on the W5 and Sony's Customer Support. I realise that it's going to seem like a bit of a rant, but it has both it's good and bad points and I think it somewhat sums up most of what everyone has said into one incident without just saying "Sony W5 Sucks it takes crap pictures" and not explaining or trying to work with/around the issue.

I bought a W5 back in April after many weeks of research. The reviews were good and it had all of the options I could want for the price. I used it for about a month and a half for snapshots, but then in June started using it for some more serious photos. I went to an airshow and used it all day, took hundreds of photos. When I got the photos onto the PC, I realized that there were dust-spot-shadows on every photo of the sky, in the same spot, 4 of them. They were too small to see on the LCD, but at full screen they were an annoyance. I could edit them out, but to have to do that with hundreds of photos is a bit much. I gave the camera the once over to see if it was lens dust and it was not. I went back through some of my earlier shots, back to the first week I recieved the camera, and sure enough, the spots were on those as well.

I called Sony on the issue, and as mentioned in other posts, the customer support was pretty much useless. They basically tried to blame everything but the camera before they finally went through the routine, including trying different batteries and using the flash instead of having it turned off. While going through all of this, I realised that there was also dust (lots of it) inside the optical viewfinder. At this point they determined that it was most likely something that happened during manufacturing, and that I could send it in to the service center in CT, which I did during the second week of June. I got the camera back about 2 weeks later and used it for a few days on vacation. When I got the photos back onto the PC, the same 4 spots were in the same location...bust. I spent another hour on the phone with SCS and they finally told me that I would have to call the service center directly, as it was now an issue with the service center...so I did. The service center was apologetic and offered to send return labels to ship the camera back, which I did. About 2 weeks later, the camera came back, and lo-and-behold, the spots were still there. Another call to the service center, another return label, the camera comes back 2+ weeks later, spots again.

At this point, it is becoming an issue for me and I am becoming more annoyed with each send-return of the camera. I called Sony as I had origianally, due to the fact that this issue was not getting resolved. After spending over an hour on the phone, I am told that a customer service manager will call me back within 24hrs. 2 days go by and no call, so I called Sony again, this time asking for the camera to be replaced. Sony refuses to replace the camera since it has not been to their Laredo TX center yet, so I am offered a shipping label and another service ticket to have the unit looked at. I am told that I will be contacted when the unit is received in order to go over the issue, but 2.5 weeks later the camera is on my doorstep without warning, and inside the box is a list of the cleaning and service that the unit received. As you can probably guess, once again, the spots are in the identical locations on the photos. Furious at this point, and without the camera for over 2 months now, I called Sony, and am *again* offered, a mailing slip to send it back for service. I refused, unless the camera was going to be replaced and NOT repaired once again. Sony CS cound not guarantee *anything*, so I finally decided that I would get the camera replaced one way or another and repackaged and returned the unit to a local retailer for replacement. I really did try to do things the right way and get the matter resolved, but in 3 months time and 4 shipments back to Sony, they did not resolve my matter.

I did fill out the customer feedback form and it was not pretty. I was polite and honest, but there were very few good marks. A few weeks later, I got a call from the VP of Customer Service's office, that Sony wanted to resolve the issue and needed some details from me. They were very apologetic and were going to make everything right. This was on a Saturday, 3 weeks ago, and they would call me back on Monday to resolve the matter. 3 Mondays have now passed, and I am yet to get that call. I am done dealing with them.

So, if you made it this far, there are some good points from here on out. ;-)

I was going to sell the camera as soon as I swapped it, but I realized that the camera was actually everything I wanted and needed. I needed a small P&S that could also be used in M and P mode. Something that took nice sharp photos and was still small enough to put in my pocket. This camera really has everything I could possibly need in a digital camera without being a DSLR. It has a few downfalls, like the blur problem that has been beat to the ground already, but it has more positives than negatives. When I need to, I use my film SLR for everything it can't do until DSLR prices are more within my range. I am really happy with the camera now that all this is behind me, but I don't see myself buying another Sony digicam just based on the issues I went through, though I still recommend the W5 to people who ask about it.

Here is a photo I took this weekend with my W5...enjoy.

cmiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 11:48 PM   #24

Well, I gave the W5 a good review on my own site, but did experience once issue. The lens assembly broke and stopped retracting a couple of months later. They had me send it to the CT. store and it took a month, but I got it back and so far it's working.

One note: A Sony rep once told me if the same issue happens on the same camera in a 90 day period multiple times, Sony will replace it with another camera. Did you explore this with Sony? I would not drop it or go through the trouble of selling the camera yourself. If you've had this same issue and had to send it back multiple times, you should be entitled to a replacement.
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:20 PM   #25

atlantagreg wrote:
Quote:
One note: A Sony rep once told me if the same issue happens on the same camera in a 90 day period multiple times, Sony will replace it with another camera. Did you explore this with Sony? I would not drop it or go through the trouble of selling the camera yourself. If you've had this same issue and had to send it back multiple times, you should be entitled to a replacement.
See above. The camera went back 4 times from June 15th through late September for the exact same issue. Both the CT center you mentioned (Precision Camera) and the Laredo Sony center serviced it. It was declared *fixed* all 4 times, all within 90 days, yet every time I send sample photos to Sony of the *fixed* camera, they would reply with "oh...yes we see the issue, can you send it back again for service."

Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:51 PM   #26

What I'm suggesting, is that you contact Sony again, tell them how many times this has happened, and ask them about the replacement policy for multiple repairs for the same issue. Ask for a senior support member if you get a doof the first time. Don't be a jackass to them - the rep had nothing to do with it. State your case to the point but calmly and continue to go up the ladder until you reach someone who will offer you a replacement model.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:26 AM   #27

I have stated my case with them time and time again, in a polite yet direct manner. The last discussion I had with Sony was that they wanted to see the camera for service *again*. They could not guarantee that the camera would be replaced but if it was, it would be with a factory refurbished unit at best.

I went up the ladder for over 3 months yet got nowhere. There comes a point when, after having the camera in service or transit for over 3 months of the 4 1/4 months you've owned it, that you either cut your losses or resort to other measures. I even went through the retailer I bought from (NewEgg) and asked them if they could help me. They offered to replace the unit if I paid for shipping, so I sent it in, and do you know what happened? Sony declined NewEgg the return on the item because it had a "Sony repair case pending" attached to it. NewEgg promplty shipped it back to me.

The way I see it, the camera cost me more time in dealing with phone support, and money due to shipping it back and forth, than the camera was worth. Not to mention that 4 times on the bench had to cost them (Sony) more than the camera is worth. It should have been replaced after the second failed attempt at a repair. If it were a car, it would have been ruled a lemon by that point and the dealer would have bought it back from me. I wasn't even asking for my money back, I wanted the camera replaced. I was happy with it other than this issue, and pleaded my case with Sony, but customer service/tech support only know how to deal with these issues from *the script* and nothing you can say or do will ge them to stray from said script.

Again, all in all I love the camera...but Sony has lost a return customer based on how they handled this case.