Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 1, 2005, 3:04 PM   #1

First of all let me beging by Giving a big thankyou and my Highest Recomendation to CompUSA.

The Reurn Policy they have is Top tier. No 15% Restocking fee I just said the camera took bad photos and they happily returned my money.

the W5 has several fatal flaws which some how detailed reviews seem to have overlooked.

#1. Sony makes litteraly hundreds of different electronics, Its customer service dept is a one stop shop if you have a Sony VCR, PSP, Radio or Camera you get the same Clueless people. Your no differnt to Sony if you buy a $30 clock Radio or a $499 Digital Cam, Bye bye Sony

#2. Forget about a Firmware update if its a Bug Like no way to turn off the Vibration Warning or Focus Lock which decides for itself when it locks even if its the same image, Sony will just say thats how the camera was meant to work

#3. Not a Point and Shoot camera, With Just a FEw shooting modes its not enough for the Beginer, and Handycapped Manual Controls which frustrate Advanced users It makes no one happy.

#4 Compare the Images at dcresource, and imaging-resource Mickey is so Blurry detailes are gone, cheaper Canon A510 takes way better pictures that alone shouts be enough to warn you if your smart stay away from the W5.

#5. Expensive Memory sticks media If you like paying an extra $15 for the same MB go ahead I'll stick with SD.

#6. Minor design changes from the W1, and W5 the old W1 has a 123K color LCD and the newer better W5 dropped toa 115K color LCd no doubt to save costs and battery life

#7. No sports mode fast moving objects from Little old ladies to puppies playing will be a blurr unless in M mode and shutter speeds are manulay set to 1/400 or higher

#8. Packaging the box it comes in, I've litteraly bough Coffe makers and toaster that came better secured and cushioned than this W5, Its not Apple iPod luxury packaging but unlessthe W5 camefrom China in a FEather Cargo container beware Barebones box Fragile very Fragile How expensive would it have been for sony to thrown in a piece of cotton Camera is pooprly protected.

You may say this is just another disgruntled Sony Customer Venting the W5 must have some good points Yes it does.

#1. USB 2.0 (don't buy a cam regardless of make unless it has this period) Nice job Sony

#2. Included Rechargeable 2 AA 2200 Mah Batteries and charger (very nice) not sure on the mah

#3. Very Good Shutter lag, If prefocused to me it was almost instant (sweet)Shot to Shot was also very fast

#4. Startup Times less than 1 sec from pressing the button Nice, No digital cam should take more than 1 sec to be ready Good job sony

#5. Color Rich accurate color Greens and Reds are spot on Blues a good too

So in the end, don't make a mistake with the W5. Plus Sony is releasing succesors to the W5 very soon they just releasd a successor to the T7 and T3 http://www.engadget.com
bboiweapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2005, 4:04 AM   #2

bboiweapon wrote
Quote:
#2. Forget about a Firmware update if its a Bug Like no way to turn off the Vibration Warning or Focus Lock which decides for itself when it locks even if its the same image, Sony will just say thats how the camera was meant to work
Once again : The vibration warning is just that. A warning. It comes on if the shutter speed is longer than about 1 / equivalent 35mm camera focal length. The camera does not measure any vibrations. I am sure that you would complain even more if the camera simply refused to shoot in bad light. The idea is to use the flash when there is not enough light.

As for the packaging : It is nice to see Sony going for the minimum of biodegradable or recyclable packing. In fact many civilised countries now force them to do so.

I hope that you find a perfect camera for your needs from another manufacturer. No doubt you will let us know
kh1234567890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:11 AM   #3

I had the same experience as you and have posted before about this camera and it's shortcomings. I bought the Canon A510 after returning the Sony for blurry pictures and love this Canon.I take pictures in the exact spots I tried with the Sony and I get nohand movement warnings and great pictures, so I don't get all the excuses people give for the Sony about holding still, setting things, please, it's just not engineered well and takes lousy pictures. The Canon is easy to use, great pictures and inexpensive. It does recharge for about 5 sec. after flash shots (a minus) but has many shooting modes and even adjustable flash, just a pleasure to use after the highly frustrating Sony.
mes444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:27 AM   #4

I have the W1, and its good in bright light and quite poor without the flash indoors. Im trying to find time to experiment with it more, but I wouldnt say that Im unhappy with it.

For me, the startup time and the time between shots is more important than having to use the flash more than I might like to.

As for packaging, I agree and disagree. Its good to see companies using less packaging that is killing the environment, but they should have some better protection for the LCD screen at least.
darntoothysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 12:10 PM   #5

I think you may be being a bit drastic telling everyone to stay away from the W5 purely because you had a bad experience with the camera.

I too have the W1, which is essentially the same camera. I too also have read countless posts of soft pictures, blurry shots etc etc. That is the reason why I started the thread below (post your W1 shots here) because the only time I have ever come across these issues, it was operator error (i.e. me) not the camera. Take a look at some of the wonderful shots posted.

My point? Speak as you find, but just because you personally don't like the camera don't assume it ispiece of junk and other people should avoid it.

The proof of the pudding is read up on the experts opinions, including Steve's. Thats what I take notice of.
v8griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 9:05 PM   #6

mes444 wrote:
Quote:
I had the same experience as you and have posted before about this camera and it's shortcomings. I bought the Canon A510 after returning the Sony for blurry pictures and love this Canon.I take pictures in the exact spots I tried with the Sony and I get nohand movement warnings and great pictures, so I don't get all the excuses people give for the Sony about holding still, setting things, please, it's just not engineered well and takes lousy pictures. The Canon is easy to use, great pictures and inexpensive. It does recharge for about 5 sec. after flash shots (a minus) but has many shooting modes and even adjustable flash, just a pleasure to use after the highly frustrating Sony.
I have the W1 but played with my friend's Canon A510 a while back. I would say the Canon is just as temperamental as the Sony. There were still blurry shots in low light conditions (as with all compact cameras). But most annoying of all was the Canon's shot to shot times. I would hate to miss a shot because my camera was too slow. Plus the plastic Canon housing just doesn't feel as nice as the metal W1.

bboiweapon - I wish you luck in finding the camera that is right for you. Go out and try as many as you can before you decide. It will definitely save you the stress down the road. By the way, I definitely agree with you on Sony's lack of customer support.
m333333333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 9:21 AM   #7
MLM

I owned a DSC-W5 and i'm very happy and satisfied with the quality of picture it produce...I think all your concern was not dat big issue...I thinks its not the fault of the product...As a intelligent buyer we should know what to buy. In all the review dat i read they mentioned that this camera is too much for a beginner.. May be ur right that it only has few scenes settings...i agree to dat..i suggest theyshould add portrait settings or may be sports settings...I use P mode as a replacement of Sports settings. And it did very good. Icompared my shot with my colleagues canon and olympus camera same shot in moving car..sony has the best shot.

pls note.

This is a good camera...with good quality of picture..I warned u that dis is not for a beginner...for people who love to experiment with all the settings...
MLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 9:21 AM   #8
MLM

I owned a DSC-W5 and i'm very happy and satisfied with the quality of picture it produce...I think all your concern was not dat big issue...I thinks its not the fault of the product...As a intelligent buyer we should know what to buy. In all the review dat i read they mentioned that this camera is too much for a beginner.. May be ur right that it only has few scenes settings...i agree to dat..i suggest theyshould add portrait settings or may be sports settings...I use P mode as a replacement of Sports settings. And it did very good. Icompared my shot with my colleagues canon and olympus camera same shot in moving car..sony has the best shot.

pls note.

This is a good camera...with good quality of picture..I warned u that dis is not for a beginner...for people who love to experiment with all the settings...
MLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 4:49 PM   #9

hey
I also own the DSCW5B and i think its an awesome camera. I brought home the canon ixus 50 and i definately saw a huge improvement gong for the W5 over that. In regards to the vibration alert, who cares, this is only a warning. I find it mainly does this when you are taking images that have really tight vertical lines. must be something to do with the way the cam interprets vibrations. I have taken really good shots with it even in low light (Flash ofcourse) and if ur taking inside shots in low light with no flash i dont no how u are going to hold this cam completely stil with shutter speeds slower than 1/5. Tripod i think.

I have had issues wth the blur but prob like u i thought i could just hold it in my hands and walla. This camera in low light isa dream against ixus50.

Also like the guys said look at what steve says about this cam. He ranks as one of the best 5mp. Im sure he knows what hes on about. I dont think such a great camera deserves such a knock. I work in a retail store where we sell this stuff and almost every custy that complains of blurry images on any branded cam is bcse they think they can run with it and take photos or they are half pressing the shutter button and havent given it time to focus.

Anyways i am very happy with my purchase and i have nothing really to complain about. I think the packaging is realy good and minimal. I also think (like you) the batt life is amazing and so is the sheer speed of the cam. This speed often makes most look like slow pieces of junk. I think the lense is also fantastic and the manual controls (Thought limited) is also very good.

You will have to update us on what you get to see what meets ur expectation at this price point.

cheers

KEN
DSCW5B
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 4:57 PM   #10

MLM wrote:
Quote:
I use P mode as a replacement of Sports settings. And it did very good. Icompared my shot with my colleagues canon and olympus camera same shot in moving car..sony has the best shot.

Im the same i compared an ixus50 to the W5 and the W5 was much better
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote