Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 15, 2005, 6:43 AM   #1

H guys,

Looking at 2 cameras now, the DSC-P200 and the Canon S500. Just wanted to know, what speed stick the Sony should have in it. I see the memory stick pro and realise I would ned that for high quality movies, but should I but hthe top speed orangey packaged one, writing up to 800mbps. Would that be better to get or would the normal memory stick pro suffice. Also, would it help in just speeding up the camera in the time it saves photos and movies to the stick.

Thanks guys, I don't want to buy something that will be not used to its full potential, and pay more than I should.

edit: sorry about the vague title, only realised after I posted!:?
Megalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2005, 8:08 AM   #2

The pro would would be sufficient. I don't know of any camera that could take advantage of the super high speed memory stick.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 8:17 AM   #3

Thanks a lot! Saves me some money when I come to buy it - edging towards buying the DSC-P200 over the Canon simply because I like the sharp crisp, clear images. Anything you want to print later, just photoshop it to the colours you would like!
Old Aug 15, 2005, 8:22 AM   #4

i got a regular 512MB MSpro with my p-200 and it was great.. i beleive that the higher speeds of som MS cards would be useful if you had a card reader that would support those speeds, otherwise inside the camera their would probably be no difference.
Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:36 AM   #5

Ok fair do's. Just thought it may be like a computer with a faster hard drive thana slower one. ie, saves quicker if its faster (10,000rpm) compared to a 5400rpm drive. But cheers anyway!
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:52 AM   #6

Stay away from P200, flash issue, mine already in the shop for 2 months, no remedy yet. parts back ordered. Search the web for this issue before you buy. Unless you don't need the flash, the camera is fine.
ftahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 6:28 PM   #7

ftahir wrote:
Quote:
Stay away from P200, flash issue, mine already in the shop for 2 months, no remedy yet. parts back ordered. Search the web for this issue before you buy. Unless you don't need the flash, the camera is fine.
this is the first i've heard of the flash issue w/ the p200. i read dpreview sony forums all the time. dust has been the main issue with this line (p100/150/200)
kenrippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 7:54 PM   #8

Never seen any flash problems with the P200 either. Are you having it repaired by Sony ftahir?? Do you have the flash error message or does it just not work?

I have a used flash unit I can sell you no problem. :|
darntoothysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:11 AM   #9

I too was undecided between the Canon IXUS 50 and the Sony DSC-P200. I spent ages reading all the reviews I could find on the Internet, and also user forums.

I finally went for the P200 and I don't regret it. What helped me decide was lots of reports about cracked LCD's with the Canon,plus complaints about red eye and poor battery life.

Sony's LCD is superb, the resolution is brilliant and they have incorporated a protection screen.The InfoLithium battery pack seems to go on for ever and I alsounderstand that the Sony doesn't suffer from red-eye due to the flash being much further away from the lens, unlike the Canon. The only thing I'm not sure about is the Sony's ability to edit existing images, then save them as new files (see my post re this).

Hope this helps,

Regards

dalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 7:36 PM   #10

ftahir wrote:
Quote:

EVerything faults mate no matter what it is, there is no need to say "stay away from it". if its a factory defect then fair enuf but like the guys said even i have heard nothing of it and i sell the stuff.

We had a faulty S2 come in with lense problems, does that make it a bad cam????????

And parts are prob on back order bcse they hardly ever need em bcse they are so reliable
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote