Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 19, 2005, 4:43 PM   #1

I've been taking a lot of great photos with my H1 and really loving the new camera.

I've have noticed however that I get an undesirable effect when taking photos that have a hard contrast of lighting.

I believe I had my camera set at the "automatic" controls... I did not have it set on a manuel setting for this shot...

there also seems to be some very hard outlines around all the objects that are backlit..

My previous sony cameras (DSC-W1, and an old cyber-shot -not sure the model) didn't have this effect, at least I never noticed it.

check it out, any ideas on how to fix this? is it a setting???

Attached Images

eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2005, 4:44 PM   #2

..and a closeup.
Attached Images

Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:53 PM   #3

The purple on the light pole is called purple fringing. Many cameras get it to different degrees with strong backlighting. Some say purple fringing is different from Chromatic Aberration. I think this is the best simple explanation I've seen: http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...rration_01.htm

You might try different apertures, but I think the most significant setting is the focal length you shoot at. There isn't usually any practical way around it.

I see you are using Photoshop CS. CS2 has a purple fringing filter that turns it gray. You can do the same thing in CS with Select>Color Select. Hold the Alt key and use the magic wand in non-contiguous mode to remove anything it selects that actually should be purple. Then just change the color to gray. Or select the background with the eyedropper and paint over the purple you selected.

I haven't experienced the hard outlines you got on the edge of the building. CA isn't always purple, and I suppose it is some sort of CA.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:49 PM   #4

thanks, your explanation and tips have been extremely helpful!