Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:18 PM   #11

All tastes exist in this World.

Different cameras for different tastes.

For pictures of wildlife, go for the Panasonic Lumix FZ30 (where you need long range, but where ISO sensitivity is not paramount)

A well-balanced camera would be the Fuji S9000 (US name) / S9500 (EU name) with ISO 1600, 28-300 range
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:27 PM   #12

For pictures of wildlife, go for the Panasonic Lumix FZ30 (where you need long range, but where ISO sensitivity is not paramount)"

Exactly.

And that is why this is such adumb idea in a point and shoot if I want to use it for wildlife close-ups. Better to get a DSLR and a nice telephoto. This camera is a non-competitor vs a DSLR. It's a "Sony doesn't make a DSL so here is this" freak that the Panasonic FZ30 will trounce on one side and a DSLR on the other.

Hence my comment the "5X" zoom makes it a non-consideration for me.

Chrystie

Chrystie

Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:45 PM   #13

Mercurycu wrote:
Quote:
the "5X" zoom makes it a non-consideration for me.
For you
Old Sep 8, 2005, 4:16 PM   #14
Administrator

Mercurycu wrote:
Quote:
This camera is a non-competitor vs a DSLR. It's a "Sony doesn't make a DSL so here is this" freak that the Panasonic FZ30 will trounce on one side and a DSLR on the other.
You may want to change "doesn't make" to "isn't currently shipping".

We don't know how far along they are on the "make" part. But,Sony announced their plans to develop DSLR models in July of this year:

Konica-Minolta and Sony to jointly develop Digital SLR Cameras

Consumers will have awide variety of lenses available in Minolta AF mount, from Minolta, Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, Vivitar and others.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 10:18 PM   #15

Chrystie you would have to wonder why Panasonic bothers making anything but FZ5/20/30 since that is what YOU like, and BTW I think that the FZ30 is a great camera.

Obviously the R1 is not for you but I can assure you that it will be the bee's knees to others, so please stop boring everybody to tears with your comments

The 24mm w/a and the usable 1600iso with very little chromatic aberration to boot will be more than enough for other serious amateurs

some test pics here

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=14957846
REALYTYCHECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 10:33 PM   #16

<<Obviously the R1 is not for you but I can assure you that it will be the bee's knees to others, so please stop boring everybody to tears with your comments>>

Well REALITYCHGECH, since you wasn to be a *rude jerk*, I don'tgive a rats ass if I bore you to death, but one thing for others to consider is this camera is *more* expensive than a DSLR, just as big, and cna't cover a telephoto range. I'd take a DSLR any day....

Chrystie

Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 10:36 PM   #17
Administrator

OK People.Healthy debate can be good. Personal attacks are not.

Let's not get personal or I'll close this thread.

Thanks!

Jim C.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 11:31 AM   #18
sdh

I think an interesting question has been implicitly raised here - why would one buy the new R1 instead of an entry level DSLR? IIRC, price is similar, same res, both have large-size CMOS type sensor. im guessing similar size and zoom capability (correct me if im wrong there), but the R1 will lack the ability to change lenses which DSLRs have. So what will the R1 offer that current DSLRs lack? (not a rhetorical question - surely there is something, else why would sony develop the product?)
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 12:17 PM   #19
ir

I agree, it's a sweet looking camera. I also kind of agree that I'm not sure why I would buy it. I don't need 10MP, but that wouldn't stop me. I really want something in the prosumer category that meets my needs as opposed to getting a DSLR. Image quality is quite important for me, which is currently counting against most non-DSLRs. I hope that someone comes out with a prosumer camera with the following characteristics:

1. Low noise, nice and clean up to at least ISO400, usable to ISO800 would do for me, but the higher the better (I currently lock my little digicam at ISO 50--so you can guess it's a Canon).

2. Image stabilization. I think high ISO is great for low light. IS is no good for freezing motion. However, at the telephoto end I really like the idea of IS for handheld landscapes, posed shots, those shaky-hands days, and so on. They both have their uses, and both would be nice to have.

3. Good zoom range. 24-200 would be great. Even a little less tele, if they have to. If you could add a teleconverter to that, the IS could compensate for the reduction in light coming through the lens.

4. Good lens. Quality glass is important. I can live with starting at 2.8 if the image quality is there. Better that than a 2.0 or 2.4 lens feeding a tiny, noise-riddled sensor.

5. 6-8MP is enough for me. Really. If they can get this on a 2/3 sensor that is quite low noise, then more telephoto could be added to the lens. With the R1, they are still in a MP race. Great sensor, I'm sure, but I'm not personally in any MP race.

6. DOF control. The small sensor digicams just dont' cut it. A 2/3 sensor might not be that great either, but I'm guessing that a compromise could be found that would suit me just fine.

7. The extras, like movie mode. The purists who pound the drum about buying a movie cam for movies and a still cam for stills...well, they really annoy me. They seem so elitist. My primary purpose is quality stills, but my friends and I have a lot of fun taking little video clips, too. And I don't have to carry two pieces of equipment around! If it can take movies, and the quality of the stills doesn't suffer for it, then do it!

I hope the RI sells loads of units, even if I don't buy one. The reason is that it could lead to a camera with all of the things I'm holding out for (finally). They have been coming close (Nikon with the 8800, the R1, Canon S2 IS, FZ-30), but I don't think any of these will get me to buy yet.

Still holding out,
ir

ir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 12:41 PM   #20

What do you think of the Fuji S9000 (US name) / S9500 (EU name) with ISO 1600, 28-300 range?

Seems a well-balanced exercise, no?