Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 9, 2005, 12:54 PM   #21
ir

Yes, I find the sensor technology Fuji has very promising, although based on what I've read I still don't have a clear idea how much cleaner the sensor is vs how much aggressive noise reduction is being done at higher ISO. I'm hopeful that the sensor really is a revolution.

I also wonder about DOF. I guess the sensor isn't much smaller than 2/3, but I would give up some of that telephoto for greater DOF control (used my digicam last summer to take pics of tallships at full telephoto, and the far bank of the harbour, three times as far away as the ships, was in focus--ugly buildings and cranes and whatnot--, which pretty much ruined the pics--tried blurring in photoshop with only somewhat satisfying results).

Image stabilization would also be a treat. I assume they left it out in favour of a lower price, and are pushing their anti-blur "feature". But as I said, both IS and high ISO have their separate uses, and I would pay the extra.

Does it have an autofocus illluminator?

I will be keeping a close eye on the Fuji cams for sure. There do seem to be interesting things happening, so maybe I'll sit tight a while longer...

ir
ir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 1:31 PM   #22

If I read it right (and, I may be wrong), the camera weighs in excess of 2 pounds...aside from the sensor that has everyone a-flitter, isn't this going to be one heck of a heavy camera...especially if they are after the mid-market who may just tire of carrying 2+ pounds around their neck all day???
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 2:01 PM   #23

Quote:
What do you think of the Fuji S9000 (US name) / S9500 (EU name) with ISO 1600, 28-300 range?
This was the camera I was looking at before I heard about R1 but when looking (and trying some PP + print) at the samples, I found the artifacts from their Super CCD too much too bear. Fine lines rendered as a series of blotches and smeared low contrast detail resulting in a very artificial 'digital' look. High contrast detail was quite good and noise not as bad as many for the sensor size.

Not a patch on what the R1 will be capable of but if you must have the long zoom, as many critics seem to want, it's going to be either an inferior P&S or DSLR + lenses (which although I've not seen low ISO / normal subject samples is probably going to cost an awful lot to match the Zeiss T* - and the apparent build-quality).
McBarset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 4:56 PM   #24
Administrator

sdh wrote:
Quote:
I think an interesting question has been implicitly raised here - why would one buy the new R1 instead of an entry level DSLR? IIRC, price is similar, same res, both have large-size CMOS type sensor. im guessing similar size and zoom capability (correct me if im wrong there), but the R1 will lack the ability to change lenses which DSLRs have. So what will the R1 offer that current DSLRs lack? (not a rhetorical question - surely there is something, else why would sony develop the product?)
It's really a "ground breaking" camera design, because you have the benfits of a DSLR from it's larger sensor size and higher ISO speed ability, yet have the ability to use the LCD for framing since you don't have a mirror in the light path to contend with. Depending on the quality of the EVF, a "live feed" type system like this could also be useful for judging exposure before the photo is taken, since the impact of your changes will be visible in the EVF.

I've seen posts for years from users looking for this type of camera. So, I personally think it's likely to be a hot seller (depending on what other manufacturers have to offer in this market niche).

Of course, you also don't have the mirror slap associated with a DSLR (so if you're taking photos in an area where shutter noise can be distracting, this kind of camera has it's advantages).

One other thing that sticks out, is that they were able to get a 24mm equivalent focal length at f/2.8 on the wide end of the lens.

Try that one with one of the entry level DSLR models. ;-) If you can even find a lens that would give you a 24mm equivalent focal length with f/2.8 available (after the 1.5x or 1.6x multiplier needed on existing entry level DSLR models from Canon, Nikon, Pentax, and KM), the lens would probably cost you more than you'd pay for this camera.

Of course, it appears to have some other pretty neat features, too (for example, image processing designed to maximize dynamic range).

Another advantage of a permanently attached lens, is that you're less likely to have a dust issue.

I haven't spent much time looking at it's pros and cons, and it won't be right for everyone or every shooting condition. But, I think it will find it's way into many photographers' camera bags.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 5:05 PM   #25

Id the DSC-R1 supposed to be the replacement/upgrade to the F828, or is there supposed to be an F939, as it says on other threads???
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 5:16 PM   #26
Administrator

marsha7 wrote:
Quote:
Id the DSC-R1 supposed to be the replacement/upgrade to the F828, or is there supposed to be an F939, as it says on other threads???
I've been seeing rumours posted abouta DSC-F939 for quite a while now. Are they true? I don't know. They may or may not be. Since Sony hasn't made any annoucements, we'll need to wait to find out.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 5:50 PM   #27

This thing looks like a Minolta "Z" from the rear.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 7:20 PM   #28

Interesting that this camera seems to look, and behave, more like a medium format film camera. It has a very modest buffer size and performance that ranges from wow to barely adequate. Ihope this camera is the beginning of a whole new class of cameras with larger sensors, good lenses and less hassle than a DSLR.

I think that its performance as a camera is great, but as a value I question whether people will go for the modest zoom range at this price. It should sell well to knowledgeable photographers who know that they will do their work within this zoom range (I think I could live with it but my wife would want more telephoto) but sales may be soft to people who measure a camera by the numbers.

I think the Fuji S9000 offers better value, but the Sony would undoubtedly offer superior image quality ( since this chip is quite similar to the one used in the Nikon D2?), I do believe that Fuji lenses are a match for the Zeiss optics however so it is the sensor that gives the advantage.

One last comment, one of the fun features of these cameras is the ability to shoot occasional video clips, a capability the new Sony lacks.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 8:22 PM   #29
sdh

JimC wrote:
Quote:
sdh wrote:
Quote:
So what will the R1 offer that current DSLRs lack? (not a rhetorical question - surely there is something, else why would sony develop the product?)
Quote:
It's really a "ground breaking" camera design...<edit> ....I think it will find it's way into many photographers' camera bags.
ummm, uhhh yeah, what he said. touche!!
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 12:05 AM   #30

A little more info I found on this camera: http://www.kenrockwell.com/sony/dsc-r1.htm
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote