Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 10, 2005, 1:09 PM   #31

sdh wrote:
Quote:
So what will the R1 offer that current DSLRs lack? (not a rhetorical question - surely there is something, else why would sony develop the product?)
You can frame the image using the LCD. Although often belittled by DSLR users, this is something many photographers see as a big benefit of digital photography - myself included.

A swivel LCD facilitates precise waist-level and over-head shooting rather than breaking your back, kneeling in the dirt, bending over your tripod, or simply not looking through the OVF (trial and error).

EVF/LCD allow a real preview of what the image will be like - colors, exposure, and - very important - DOF.

Live histograms and indication of overexposed areas (Sony R-1).

Moreover, prosumers are usually equiped with attractive zoom ranges. This fixed lens (nearly) eliminates the dust problem in DSLRs. Equally fastall-in-one lenses either don't exist for DSLRs or are too big or/and too expensive.

cheers, nymano.
nymano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 6:21 AM   #32

Hi nymano !

These are exactly the points why I'm interested in this camera.

I'm already using a Panasonic FZ15 and a Panasonic LC1.

The FZ15 is great for shots where you need the zoom range, and for all other shots I take the LC1 (which is considered way too noisy and far to overprized for a 5 megapixel 3x zoom camera by other;but for me the handling is superb and the pictures are good).

In the last few weeks I searched the internet for DSLR cameras and the Nikon D50 looks great. But in the end I decided to stay with my compact cams, becauseI'm the kind of guy who won't be bothered with sensor cleaning and buying tons of lenses for my cam !

But the better picture quality (bigger sensor) and better usable high ISO's together with faster focus and shallower DOF are for me pros from the dslr.

This pros combined with the pros of a compact camera (EVF with histogram and live view, swiffel LCD, "cheaper high class lenses" [= good and fast lenses to a very low price compared to comparable DSLR lenses]) makes this camera very attractive to me !

This is just said IMHO and other people will have other preferences.

But in the end we will have to wait 'til the R1 is available and the first "real life" pictures will find their way into the internet and everybody can make up his mind if this pictures please him or not.

Bye,

Martin
Manie_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:51 AM   #33

marsha7 wrote:
Quote:
If I read it right (and, I may be wrong), the camera weighs in excess of 2 pounds...aside from the sensor that has everyone a-flitter, isn't this going to be one heck of a heavy camera...especially if they are after the mid-market who may just tire of carrying 2+ pounds around their neck all day???

Perhaps if you are traipsing all over on foot and distance photography is not an issue, weight may matter. After more than 40 years of photography, though, I personally like the heavy weight for one reason: more mass equals less shake.I am sure Sony considered this when designing their "prosumer" models. Greater well-balanced mass makes it easier to hand hold atelephoto shot with lower resultant blur, or to get a sharper picture from a tripodin a breeze, or from a monopod, for example. Nonetheless, if I amhiking into a remote area somewhere just for fun and where I have no intention of using long telephoto settings, I may carry a lighter but high megapixel camera.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 9:50 AM   #34

Manie_de wrote:
Quote:
These are exactly the points why I'm interested in this camera.

This pros combined with the pros of a compact camera (EVF with histogram and live view, swiffel LCD, "cheaper high class lenses" [= good and fast lenses to a very low price compared to comparable DSLR lenses]) makes this camera very attractive to me !

This is just said IMHO and other people will have other preferences.

But in the end we will have to wait 'til the R1 is available and the first "real life" pictures will find their way into the internet and everybody can make up his mind if this pictures please him or not.
Check out the sample images at:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/R1/R1THMB.HTM

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/sonydscr1/page12.asp

I find these images very promising for a prosumer. The wide angle is such a treat. Interestingly, the first thing I thought upon seeing the R-1 was "now this one looks *really* awkward!". In the meantime, I actually quite like the design and I think the top-mounted LCD position will suit me very well and will be a lot of fun.

btw: if the 24-120mm range isn't long enough for you (it's perfect for me!), maybe you should consider the Fuji s9000.

cheers, nymano.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 10:34 AM   #35

After looking through Phil Askey's images I am very interested in this cam, should be very very good for landscapes and portraits.

At 10.3 megaapixels andusing my Olympus 1.7x teleconverter will give 204mm andplus a 50% crop should bring it up to around 400mm when needed, the resolution is 1900 lines according to DPreview tests, and that is way better than my trustyDSC-F707 at 1650 lines,the unknown is will Sony make this sensor available to other manufactures.

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 3:11 PM   #36

Almost being strictly a portrait shooter, I can see where this might work very well. However, the lack of a portrait grip/controls and the failure to use IS put's this out of my area of interest. As far as the EVF...I use a Minolta A1 now & having a real-time histogram (anti-shake not withstanding), makes it far more useful to me than a DSLR viewfinder (having owned & used both). I would like to see KM/Sony come out with a full featured DSLR incorporating this chip & KM's anti-shake system. If they could develop a real-time histogram (super-imposed in the viewfinder, much like fighter planes use holograms on the windshield), I would be all over it like stink on a skunk!
Old Sep 13, 2005, 10:12 PM   #37

I'm pretty impressed with the test images I've seen from the R1, the noise is a little more than I expected at ISO 800 and 1600 but WAYYY better than the F828! Also very little purple fringing compared to the F828.

The only thing I'm not happy about is the IR AF assist lamp instead of the Laser Hologram assist. The laser assist is much better for AF accuracy.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 2:58 AM   #38

Hi nymano,

nevermentioned that 24-120 mm isn't enough for me.:O

Like I said before, I'm very happy with my 28-90 mm LC1 ans so the R1 zoom range will be perfect for the "everyday situation" shooting (and for really long tele shots I'm using my FZ15).

The samples at dpreview.com left me with mixed feelings about the R1.

The purple and green fringingis way to high for my taste (I'm certainly spoiled from the LC1).But noise looks reallyimpressive for the high ISO's and the sharpness and clarity of these pictures are great. And with the 24mm wide angle you have enough room for creative shots and simple landscapes !

Can't wait 'til november, because I'll have to hold and operate this camera, before deciding to raid my bank account :-)

Don't laugh, but I have a hard time with the 717 and the 828.

Haven't found out yet toget a grip on this this cameras without twisting my left hand

Maybe some kind of genetic defekt or I'm simply physically handicaped ?!:?

Bye,

Martin

Manie_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 5:09 AM   #39

Manie_de wrote:
Quote:
Hi nymano,

nevermentioned that 24-120 mm isn't enough for me.:O

Iwas just pointing out an alternative :-).

As to the noise and chromatic aberration: while not perfect, they are way better than the current range of prosumers (s9000 has a lot more purple fringing, z30 has significant noise starting at ISO 200). Obviously, the shots at ISO 1600 display noise and color blotches but lose little detail - they should clean up very nicely in neat image, etc.

Some have complained over the lack of image stabilization but that isn't an issue for me: at 120mm it's not really necessary. Apart from that, a good and stable shooting position is always the fundament of a good and shake-free picture.

cheers, nymano.

Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:25 AM   #40

Mercurycu wrote:
Quote:
A measly 5X zoom is pretty non-competative these days though.

Chrystie

yes, but it has a 24mm wide angle, which is nice. And if you set it to 5 or 7 mega-pixel with digital zoom, then the max zoom becomes 200mm, just like the F828.

and I'm pretty sure that Raynox will come out with a good 2X conversion lens, which will bring it to 280mm with the full 10 MegaPixel.

One thing I don't understand is why they removed the video capability which I loved on the F828, especially when combined with a 4GB or 6GB Microdrive, i.e. more than one hour of VGA-res video with audio.

But on the other hand, it has 1600 and 3200, and a very long max exposure time of 3 min, which will be fantastic for very low-light, long exposure shots, something I missed on the F828.

loupiote is offline   Reply With Quote