Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 29, 2005, 1:01 PM   #41

The conersion lenses are likely to be huge/bulky and expensive though. :-(

The other big thing thatI notice is missingother than the"no movie shooting mode" is:

* No laser holographic AF assist system found in other Sony cameras.

I have had cameras that dropped this important feature ,such as the Canon IS S1 , and it was the most annoying focusing digicam that I ever owned.

Chrystie
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 1:13 PM   #42

Mercurycu wrote:
Quote:
The other big thing thatI notice is missingother than the"no movie shooting mode" is:

* No laser holographic AF assist system found in other Sony cameras.

I have had cameras that dropped this important feature ,such as the Canon IS S1 , and it was the most annoying focusing digicam that I ever owned.
yes, they replaced holographic (laser pattern)AF by an orange light for AF assist.

I don't know if the orange light system works as well as laser, especially when the subject is relatively far away.

My experience with the holographicAF was that it works quite well in most cases. Let's hope we won't loose anything there.

loupiote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 12:31 PM   #43

What do you think of the pics in the DCRP gallery?

I'm not terribly amused concerning the blurry edges. :!:
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:45 PM   #44

I shoot alot of sports for the school where I live and work. For that, a DSLR is the only way to go; I also shoot alot of weddings; for that the R1 looks ideal. Why? I do not need alot of tele for weddings, but I often do need alot of wide angle, for which the R1 will serve beautifully. I also need a camera that is very high quality, utterly silent and that I will not have to worry about dust on the sensor. My point is that arguments about "which is better? DSLR vs cameras like the R1" really do not help. The question that does help is: what are your specific needs/desires, and therefore which camera is best for you? For some, the R1 simply does/will not work, but I recommend that you do not therefore assume that it will not work for others. I have used the 828 for the past year and a half and it has served me superbly...as my current Nikon D50 with the Nikkor 70-200 VR also serves me superbly. It is about specific application; anything more vague only confuses things.

Chuck Garrettson
sicetnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 12:27 AM   #45

i agree.

BTW, you can still get the equivalent of a 200mm zoom with the R1, but in this case the resolution drops to 5 mega-pixel (still not too bad).

And I'm sure that Raynox will come with some telephoto converters for the R1, even though they will be expensive, enorbous and very heavy.

In general, I found I need more often wide angle (i.e. wider than 28mm) than telephoto, which is why I got the fish-eye converter for the F828, but yes, it's nice to have a 200mm. I guess it was technically (optically) difficult to create a 24mm to 200mm lens, so Sony had to make some hard choices...

Also, I reallycan't understand why they took the video featureoff. The video is one of the things that gives a big advantage to "bridge" cameras vs DSLR.
loupiote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 3:30 AM   #46

loupiote wrote:
Quote:
Also, I reallycan't understand why they took the video featureoff. The video is one of the things that gives a big advantage to "bridge" cameras vs DSLR.
Probably some technical issue (heat?) resulting from the large sensor.

New images at:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/review/2005/10/07/2434.html
nymano is offline   Reply With Quote