Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:21 AM   #1

As soon as I can get confirmation that the purple fringing issues have been addressed with this camera, I think it'll be time that I get rid of some of my "toys" and try out one of these...
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2005, 4:22 AM   #2

Any info on the specs/price Cybershot?

I've never heard of this model before.

v8griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 7:15 AM   #3
Administrator

I guess you missed the breaking news page and Steve's earlier post:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=28

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 8:54 AM   #4

I shoot in and like theRAW format, essentially a true "digital negative", which is speedy with cameras such as the Canon 20D, numerous pro digital SLRs, etc., and which has PhotoShop CS2 editing support. But in past Sony cameras, theirRAW (.srf format) has been disgustingly slow to record (to the tune of several seconds for each image, memory speed or microdrive making no difference).

I would like to see just how fast the new Sony DSC-R1 records RAW images and if the .sr2 format is more compatible with other RAW formats, or if it is,perhaps, a flavor of PS dng. I did not notice that info in Steve's or db's reviews.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 9:12 AM   #5
Administrator

Well, there is so much difference between raw file formats (even within the same manufacturer with raw files using the same extension,, that I wouldn't really say that one format is "more compatible" compared to another (with the possible exception of DNG).

It's all a matter of what software companies develping raw converters want to support. If they feel the time needed to support a new format will be worth it in software sales, then they'll support it if the legal concerns are not too great (over fear of being sued and/or criminal prosecution).

We saw that with the new Nikon D2X, D2Hs and D50 models (Adobe decided not to support the as shot WB from these models, since this metadata is encrypted, over legal concerns of violating the DMCA). But, Adobe and Nikon just reached a compromise, with Nikon providing a "mini-SDK" for reading the White Balance. So, the upcoming Adobe ACR 3.2 will fully support these Nikon models.

That's one of the problems with proprietary raw file formats. Developers have to spend time reverse engineering the format to try and come up with a solution for converting them (since manufacturers tend to be relatively uncooperative with developers, in an effort to "protect" their proprietary formats).

IMO, this tactic increases software costs for all of us, and stifles innovation from 3rd party developers.

One of the problems with the Sony .srf files usedthe DSC-F828 is that it used a hard encryption for the .srf files generated (and it wasn't just White Balance info either). So, developers had to crack this encryption in order to support it. Adobe got Sony's permission. Of course, decrypting the file also adds processing time.

But, some developers may not have the expertise to decrypt it (it was a hard encryption requiring decompiling the and studying the manufacturers software to get the encryption method and keys used). Others may beworried aboutlegal ramifications of decrypting it (due to legal concerns over violating the Digital Millenium Copyright Act). Some developers cracked it and published the logic to decrypt it (risking legal problems by dong so).

Hopefully, Sonydecided to drop the encryption with the new .sr2 format..

As for the camera's speed, you'll need to wait on a review of a production model.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 9:22 AM   #6
sdh

I wonder if other camera makers (Canon) will now introducetheir own new models using that image sensor. I'd guess no because Canon already has a 10mp DSLR of similar size, cost and (presumably) image quality.

Is this the first fixed-lens camera to use a large-size CMOS sensor? The R1 is one sweet-looking cam!!
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 9:44 AM   #7

JimC ... I agree ... and by "more compatible" I did mean specifically DNG which will help standardize across manufacturers (but one of the more supported and licensed versions of RAW would be just as good).

Sony has always set many good standards, but has gone against the flow in others, oftimes holding on to their standards long after others have discarded it ... remember consumer Beta tape, a far better method than VHS and used for many years in the U-matic format at television stations? I still like Sony, though, even though I suspect their raw format will remain their own proprietary, closely guarded standard! And that's one reasonI now support/use Canon digital SLRs professionally (in addition to my almost-retired after 40+ long years of use Zeiss Contax, RTS,and Rollei film equipment).
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 1:47 PM   #8

A measly 5X zoom is pretty non-competative these days though.

Chrystie
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 1:51 PM   #9

5x is a meaningless marketing number, and the larger the sensor in the camera the shorter the max effective focal length that is easily handelable becomes.
If more manfacturers start using large sensors, the days of the very long effective lens range on point & shoots are numbered.

Discussed in a bit more detail here
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 2:07 PM   #10

I don't care if it has a bigger CMOS sensor if i can't get the close-upsI get with either my 12X Nikon 8800 or 12X Panasonic FZ20. If I want a camera that has a large CMOS sensor I'll get a DSLR. I want a point and shoot that gets me great close-ups for my wildlife phots and a "5X" zoom ain't gonna cut the mustard. Better to go with a DSLR with a nice telephoto lens is I step up...... rather than this new Sony. At least with a DSLR I cna put a telephoto on it.

Chrystie
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote