Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:58 AM   #1

I've only had my P200 a few days now, but have noticed that some shots have a serrated, or sawtooth, effect along the edges of objects.

This is most noticeable on items with straight edges, where there is a change inreflected light,eg a black box-file with a white label etc.

I'm only using auto at the moment but the effect is there with or without flash. It is noticeable on the camera LCD, on the PC screen, and on a hard copy.

Not sure if this is because I'm not operating the camera correctly, or maybe it's a fault, or something inherent in the design.

Most of the shots are great, this just happens occasionaly, presumably depending on the subject and the lighting.

Any advice re this would be most welcome.

Thanks in anticipation.
dalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:35 PM   #2

The issue with this might be because of on screen viewwhile reviewing. The screen size (2.0'') is smaller than then the 7 megapixel screen size of 3072 x 2304.

If it's well focused, then this will happen. On a 100% crop on the focused part, it should spread out good.

This might be what's happening.
qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 2:01 PM   #3

Thanks for that. I'll try with some smaller image sizes and see if that makes any difference.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 3:33 PM   #4

"The issue with this might be because of on screen view while reviewing."

That wouldn't explain it being noticeable on a printed copy. I'm stumped. When I began reading dalesman's description of the problem, I thought it was simply the monitor image in which case it usually prints out fine.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 7:17 PM   #5

Let me correct my self. On a printed copy? I got it wrong. Shoot 7mp. I thought it was just viewing. Sorry.

All I can do toback up my error is that some software, when resizing smaller, make jagged edges.
qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 3:45 AM   #6

Thanks again for your comments/suggestions.

I tried taking a few shots at 3M and they seem to be much improved as far as the"jagged edge" effectis concerned - prints look ok too.

My situation is that I'll probably only print out a small percentage of what I shoot, so I need maximum clarity on the PC monitor, which will be my main display device.

Anyway, I'lluse a lower resolution until I become more experienced with this camera - at least the memory stick will last longer!

Regards