Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:09 AM   #11

I'm also thinking to buy one of T5 or T7.

The thing I am interested is shutter lag times..
- normal shutter lag (no flash, autofocus)
- cycle time with no flash
- cycle time with flash

Any idea does T5/T7 differ in some way when considering this..

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ has review of both cameras and T5 timing chart seems to be faster.. I just don't know can I trust it since T7 is more expensive and so called "flagship".

I've been thinking also P200, any idea about lag times I mentioned above when comparing to T5/T7 ?

mageh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 8:32 AM   #12

From what I can tell, these two cameras are essentially the same, except for a few minor differences..

Packaging.. the T7 is much thinner, and the lens covers are different (and the T5 comes in 2 more colours). The T5 has a larger battery, and lasts longer and takes longer to charge. Specs say the weigh the same, despite the T7 being thinner.. probably due to the battery differences, and the fact that the T5 body is aluminum, whereas the T7 is stainless steel.

The T5 is tripod ready, the T7 needs an adaptor.

The T5 also has spot forcuing, the T7 does not

The T5 has 32MB internal memory, the T7 does not, but comes with a 32MB MS. You can move photos from the T5 internal memory to a MS.

The T5 seems to have an additional still image mode of 16:9 (1920x1080)

The T5 has a Dynamic speaker, the T7 has a Piezo speaker

There are also differences in the jacks and accessories.

And, oh yes, the T5 is about $120 Cdn cheaper than the T7

Other than that, they appear to be the same camera, and from the sample pictures, appear to both give the same fuzzy photo results. The lens, engine, ccd and everything else appears the same.

Go to the SonyStyle page and check the SPECS for both cameras, side by side. Do NOT use the camera COMPARE feature on the site.. it is full of errors. Bring up the specs pages in two windows, and do a visual side by side comparison.
Pilaar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:15 PM   #13

From the reviews that I have read, the T5 has almost double the flash range of the T7 and it has less red-eye.

Chrystie
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 1:07 PM   #14

Well, according to the Sony 'specs':

T7: Distance Limitations using Flash: Wide: 0.1-2.6m; Tele: 0.5-2.1

T5: Distance limitations using Flash: 0.1 – 2.5m (W); 0.5 – 2.0m (T)

Sure does not look like it is double to me.

Old Sep 29, 2005, 7:42 PM   #15

For the T5:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/t5.html#specs

Flash Effective Range: 0.1 - 2.5 m (3.8 in. - 8.2 ft.)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/t5_pg5.html

[*]The T5 is the only one equipped with a tripod mount [/*][*]The T5 has the most powerful flash (8-foot range vs 5) [/*][*]The T33 is the only one with Speed Burst continuous capture [/*][*]The T7 is the lightest and smallest (by fractions of an ounce or inch) [/*][*]The T7's rear controls are left-oriented [/*][*]The T5 and T7 are more susceptible to lens smudging [/*][*]The T33's red eye reduction is less effective [/*][*]The T33 produces warmer results [/*][*]The T33's LCD viewfinder provides less "gain-up" of the live image in dim lighting [/*]

==========================================

For the T7:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/t7.html#specs

Flash Effective Range: 0.1 - 1.6 m (3.8 in. - 5 ft.)
Old Sep 29, 2005, 10:39 PM   #16

Regardless, I think everyone would agree that this breed of mini-digicams is not intended for indoor shots with flash - they are more useful to carry in your shirt pocket for outdoor shots. Anyone that wants decent indoor shots needs a camera that can use an external flash.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:48 AM   #17
Administrator

Mercurycu wrote:
Quote:
[*]The T5 has the most powerful flash (8-foot range vs 5)
You really have to keep an eye on Sony when it comes to flash range specifications (or any other manufacturer for that matter).

I haven't looked at these two cameras closely, but Sony has been known to take certain liberties in the marketing specs where flash range is concerned. I've seen them introducetwo cameras with identical flash range in the past, with different marketing specs (in both the press releases and on their web site). Sometimes if you check the user guides, the specs will be the same for them (and sometimes, not). You'd have to check for these (I haven't really looked at them closely to see if they're*really* different or not, given the sameISO speed and aperture -- which will vary by focal length used).

Manufacturers often don't state "how" they determine the flash range either (for example, is it range with Auto ISO,ISO 50, 100, 200, 400....)? [/*]
Each time you double the ISO speed, your flash range increases by 1.4x (and some manufacturers have been known to rate their flashes based on a camera's max ISO speed from time to time in marketing specs, using a len's wide angle position at the largest aperture available).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 9:03 AM   #18

Any opinion about Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX9 compared to these T5 or T7...?

mageh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:00 AM   #19

<<You really have to keep an eye on Sony when it comes to flash range specifications (or any other manufacturer for that matter).>>

Well I would hope the information I quoted was correct as it all came from the reviews of these cameras on this website.

Chrystie
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:02 AM   #20
Administrator

Mercurycu wrote:
Quote:
<<You really have to keep an eye on Sony when it comes to flash range specifications (or any other manufacturer for that matter).>>

Well I would hope the information I quoted was correct as it all came from the reviews of these cameras on this website.

Chrystie
Again, I haven't looked into these specific models to see if specs in the user guides match up to the marketing specs, and if not, what ISO speed is shown for the flash range quoted, if any(and we use the specs given to us by Sony for the reviews).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote