Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:54 PM   #1

I was about to get a T7, when I saw that they just announced the T5. However, I am not quite sure exactly what the differences are between the two cameras.

On the Sony site, there is a Compare option to compare the two cameras feature by feature side by side. For the most part they look identical. However, it appears that some of the specs in the comparison chart may be incorrect (compared to the specs when viewing each camera's page. Or maybe the errors are on the spec pages?)

Anyway, as I see it:

the T5 is thicker andabout $120 cheaper (Cdn)

the T5 is not conversion lens compatible

the T5 has video output

the T5 has a different (NiMH) battery, and can shoot twice as many pics as the T7 (but this is confusing, since the comparison chart says the T5 also has an InfoLITHIUM battery likt the T7.. which is correct?)

Both have 32MB internal memory, expandable to 4G, butthe comparison chart shows only the T7 with 32MB internal memory

Both have 10 modes, but the comparison chart shows the T5 with only 6

Both weigh the same (114 gr) according to the comparison chart, yet the T5 page says it is 10% lighter, but considerably thicker than the T7

the T5 has an optical viewfinder, but the T7 does not (according to the comparison chart).. does the T7 also have one??

the T5 needs an adapter for the expansion memory sticks according to the comparison chart, but not the T7 - true or false?

The T5 looks like it is built for right handed people, with the controls on the right and the LCD on the left.. completely opposite of the T7.

So, does anyone know anything about these two cameras? Which is the better of the two? Is the T5 a cheaper built camera, considering it costs about $120 less? Are there some significant differences that I am missing? Which would you buy?

Paul

Pilaar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2005, 1:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Anyway, as I see it:

the T5 is thicker andabout $120 cheaper (Cdn)----TRUE

the T5 is not conversion lens compatible----NEITHER ARE CONVERSION LENS COMPATIBLE

the T5 has video output----THE T5 AND T7 HAVE VIDEO OUTPUT

the T5 has a different (NiMH) battery, and can shoot twice as many pics as the T7 (but this is confusing, since the comparison chart says the T5 also has an InfoLITHIUM battery likt the T7.. which is correct?)----T5 USES AN NP-FT1 T7 USES AN NP-FE1 THE "T" BATTERY IS BIGGER AND LASTS LONGER

Both have 32MB internal memory, expandable to 4G, butthe comparison chart shows only the T7 with 32MB internal memory THE T5 HAS 32MB INTERNAL MEMORY, THE T7 HAS A 32MB MEMORY STICK DUO...BOTH ABLE TO USE MEMORY STICK PRO DUO.

Both have 10 modes, but the comparison chart shows the T5 with only 6----BOTH HAVE THE SAME SCENE MODES

Both weigh the same (114 gr) according to the comparison chart, yet the T5 page says it is 10% lighter, but considerably thicker than the T7----THE T5 IS 5 GRAMS LIGHTER THAN THE T7

the T5 has an optical viewfinder, but the T7 does not (according to the comparison chart).. does the T7 also have one??----NEITHER ONE HAVE AN OPTICAL VIEWFINDER

the T5 needs an adapter for the expansion memory sticks according to the comparison chart, but not the T7 - true or false?----BOTH USE THE SAME MEMORY STICK DUO OR PRO DUO, THE ADAPTER IS ONLY NEEDED TO FIT THE DUO STICK IN A STANDARD MEMORY STICK SLOT

The T5 looks like it is built for right handed people, with the controls on the right and the LCD on the left.. completely opposite of the T7.----THE T7 HAS THE CONTROLS ON THE LEFT SO IT CAN BE MADE SLIMMER

So, does anyone know anything about these two cameras? Which is the better of the two? Is the T5 a cheaper built camera, considering it costs about $120 less? Are there some significant differences that I am missing? Which would you buy?

Paul----I'M SURE THE PICTURE QUALITY WILL BE IDENTICAL BETWEEN THE TWO CONSIDERING THAT THEY BOTH HAVE THE SAME LENS
Quote:
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 3:11 PM   #3

Thank you very much for the reply and the info.

Obviously, Sony really screwed up with the specs for these cameras in their side by side comparison chart on their web site! Totally useless for anyone looking for information!!

pl
Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:23 PM   #4

One other question.. which is the newer of the two cameras?

I spoke with a Sony sales rep, and she said the T3 is the newer one, but their website shows availability for some T5 models this month, and otherss next month. This sort of led me to believe the T5 was newer.

When I told the sales rep this, she said the T5 was an older camera, and has simply been re-introduced in designer colours. If this is indeed true, is it the same camera as before, but with different colours, or are there new features too? Or is this really a newer camera than the T7?

pl
Old Sep 15, 2005, 12:04 AM   #5

T5 is newer. Release this month.They said the T5 is the 2-tone T.

The T7 was released a while back. Basic thinner than the T1 and T3.

I also thought the T3 was only sold in Europe.
qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 2:33 PM   #6

THe question you need to answer is, which of the following T has the best flash range. From what I read, the T5 has a longer flash ranger than the T7--this is important if you do alot of shooting under low light conditions.
thebanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 9:53 PM   #7

Flash does not concern me... I don't expect to be taking many pics indoors.. besides, with these small cameras, the red eye is attrocious, and most have useful range of about 6 feet. (I use my D100 with external flash for good indoor photos of people)

I do have several other larger digicams. I have the opportunity of selecting a 'gift' from Sony, and was looking at either the T5 or T7. Yes, I know from reading various reviews, the photo quality on both of these is somewhat fuzzy, and if I was paying for a new camera, my first choice would be neither of these twol

But since I have the opportunity of getting one free, I am trying to figure out which one would be better. I only want it to put in my pocket for occasional shots, where I won't be dragging my Nikon D100 around with me.

The problem I have been fighting with is that there is not that much info on a festure to feature comparison of the two cameras. As I said in my initial post, even the side by side comparison of the two cameras on the Sony site is riddled with errors. Even a Sony sales rep was feeding my crap!

I stopped by the Sony store today, and the manager there told me that the T5 is new, not a re-issue of a previously released camera in different colours. He also said it more closely resembles the T33 in size. Basically, according to him, it is the same as the T7 (optics, LCD, etc) with the exception of bigger capacity battery, thicker than the T7, has it own built-in 32MB memory, whereas the T3 has a 32MB MS. And it also has a built in tripod socket, whereas the T7 required a cradle. Lastly, the T5 is more of a 'right-handed' camera than the T7 (which has all the controls on the left side)

My sand is running out, and I needed to make a decision today. I decided on the T5, although I suspect as it is not in the store yet, it may be a few weeks.

Thanks to all for your replies.

pl
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:34 PM   #8

anyway, in picture quality, is t7 better than old t-series?
ss5469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 1:17 PM   #9

A far as I can see, CCD and Lens are identical in the T5 and T7, so I expect the photos will be the same.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:07 AM   #10

Im sorry but I was really dissapointed with the T1, it was a gimmick and I have no interest in trying any other T series.

If you get one, I hope you enjoy it more than I did my T1.
darntoothysam is offline   Reply With Quote