Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 19, 2005, 3:58 AM   #21

yea i compared the ixus 50 to the w5, and yea i found the sony to be so much better. The picture quality in my opinion was much better. I also found the canon to be quite slow compared to the sonys super speed.

And yea i no wat u mean with the m mode shutter speeds, some are like 3 secs with nr. how are you ment to hold the cam stil for that long and even if you can how can ur subject stay til that long. Who knows aye. Some people LOL....

But yea just lke you i am really happy with my purchase
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 4:56 PM   #22

sime wrote:
Quote:
V easy to use. Still learning M & P modes so they are instinctive but it won't take long.

Indoors: no probs. This is my first digicam so I have nothing to compare it to but it lets me get away with a lot more than film (esp slide film whichI useoften).Anyway out of curiosity I looked at the shutter speeds in M mode to achieve 0.0 EV and it's no wonder you get blur. Even if you use a tripod peoplewon't be verysharp. Or if they are they probably need a coroner, not a photographer.

Just as an aside I looked at the new A620 Canon (very much improved over A95 and A520 in feel) but it was too bulky to carry in a pocketand I am too scared to buy an Ixus...
Hi, new here. I bought a Sony W5 a couple of weeks and still experimenting.

The camera takes pics ok outside, but I tried the self timer a lot of times and every time my pic of myself is blurry, and I have brightturquoise eyes (I have blue eyes), so thought I would have red eye, but turqoise? I put the camera on a book shelf so there would be no camera shake and stand back far enough, so not to be too close to the camera. I don't use the zoom, just regular lens. I tried Irfanview for red eye and used the sharpen feature, but its still quite blurry. I am still using internal memory till I get a memory card. I haven't tried any manual settings since the instruction manual doesn't give much instruction and the menu is a bit confusing to me. Anyway, can someone help me solve the blurry self timer indoor problem and how do I fix the red eye (which is really very bright turqoise eye)? I don't want to buy any programs right now. Spent my monthly budget on the camera.
Self timer works ok outside by the way. Does this camera have abig problem with red eyeon indoor shots with flash? anddoes it have a problem with blurry indoor pics with flash? Would appreciate any and all advice from fellow W5 owners.

Pandora7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:27 PM   #23

Quote:
I tried the self timer a lot of times and every time my pic of myself is blurry, and I have brightturquoise eyes (I have blue eyes), so thought I would have red eye, but turqoise?
Pandora, I hope I can help, perhaps some more experienced W5ers and digital experts can be of more assistance however:

Re: Blur

Is it just you that is blurry or the entire scene? If it is just you then perhaps the cam is just using a very low shutter speed to correctly expose the scene in which case you must remain incredibly still.

Re: Turquoise

This could be a white balalnce issue. Do skin tones etc seem correct as well? Also, have you looked at the images back on a normal screen (as oppoosed to LCD which has very saturated colour)?

There should be no probs with blur using flash and i haven't had redeye probs yet...
Attached Images

sime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 1:03 AM   #24

sime wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I tried the self timer a lot of times and every time my pic of myself is blurry, and I have brightturquoise eyes (I have blue eyes), so thought I would have red eye, but turqoise?
Pandora, I hope I can help, perhaps some more experienced W5ers and digital experts can be of more assistance however:

Re: Blur

Is it just you that is blurry or the entire scene? If it is just you then perhaps the cam is just using a very low shutter speed to correctly expose the scene in which case you must remain incredibly still.

Re: Turquoise

This could be a white balalnce issue. Do skin tones etc seem correct as well? Also, have you looked at the images back on a normal screen (as oppoosed to LCD which has very saturated colour)?

There should be no probs with blur using flash and i haven't had redeye probs yet...
The entire scene is blurry, not just me. I just was using Auto, not setting it for anything. I don't know how to do that yet.

The skin tones look ok. its just the whole picture is blurry. But tonight I took a few more, because I can't stand blurry pictures, and some are blurry but some are quite clear and no red eye. I tried standing further away from the camera and thats when some were clear and some were blurry. I don't know why some would be ok and some not when I was standing about the same place and the camera is on a book shelf so it doesn't move. And yes, I looked at the images on Picture image, which came with the camera. Not great software but good enough to see the images. I also use Irfanview which is good to view images. If everything is set at Auto , I wouldn't need to change the white balance would I? and why are some pics ok and others are not with same settings?

Your pictures are really good. and you're right no red eye at all. Is that your nephews? very cute picture and such good colours. I'm surprised you have no red eye at all. can you remember what you had the camera set for? Even on Steves review of the W5, he mentions about red eye problem since the lens is very close to the flash, you get that more than usual I have read. dcresource.com said the same thing, so what is your secret?

Old Sep 29, 2005, 6:52 PM   #25

Quote:
what is your secret?
LOL!

Just lucky probably! Ok perhaps with flash the secret is to shoot at angles to the subject. For instance I got up higher for that shot, and side on for others. I noticed in Steve's review that he was directly in front of the subject, which with all duerespect isn't the most flattering composition when using flash, and probably brings on the redeye worst.

I am now shooting almost all the time in P mode, and at other times in M. In P mode, you can hit menu and thenleft buttonto adjust things like contrast, saturation etc. I've been using those controls to switch between colour and B&W (and I up the contrast on B&W), and ISO settings. I also have focus set to centre weighted in P mode. That helps mereally pick out the subject I want to focus on.

In M mode, hit the centre button to access the Aperture and Shutter speed settings.

Now I am thinking that your bookshelf shots are an Autofocus problem....

If you know exactly where you will be standing in your shot, get into P mode and set the AF for centre weighted, it should then have an easier time getting focus set on you...just a thought.

This is my 1st digital camera. I am still a big fan of film, and so perhaps my expectations are shaped by that. But I am really having fun using it and I treat it just like any other camera - using the light and moving position (not the lens)

Finally, the big boy is my nephew, the little boy is his half-brother, and they're with my new baby boy who is coming home today!
sime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 9:38 PM   #26

sime wrote:
Quote:
what is your secret?
Quote:

LOL!

Just lucky probably! Ok perhaps with flash the secret is to shoot at angles to the subject. For instance I got up higher for that shot, and side on for others. I noticed in Steve's review that he was directly in front of the subject, which with all duerespect isn't the most flattering composition when using flash, and probably brings on the redeye worst.
Quote:
I just typed a reply to your message and did something wrong and my entire message vanished. I hate when that happens. <sigh>
Quote:
Did you notice in Steves review of the W5 in the samples, the worst cases of red eye in indoor shots I've ever seen in a review. he showed red eye on and red eye off and they both looked much the same. The portrait mode with fill in flash looked ok though.

I am now shooting almost all the time in P mode, and at other times in M. In P mode, you can hit menu and thenleft buttonto adjust things like contrast, saturation etc. I've been using those controls to switch between colour and B&W (and I up the contrast on B&W), and ISO settings. I also have focus set to centre weighted in P mode. That helps mereally pick out the subject I want to focus on.

In M mode, hit the centre button to access the Aperture and Shutter speed settings.
Quote:
Thanks for letting me know about M and P. I seemed to go all over the place when trying to figure out the menu. When taking photos I like to focus on everyone and not focus on any one thing, so how do I do that? Just use auto?
Quote:
Now I am thinking that your bookshelf shots are an Autofocus problem....

If you know exactly where you will be standing in your shot, get into P mode and set the AF for centre weighted, it should then have an easier time getting focus set on you...just a thought.
Quote:
I could try that and see what happens.
Quote:
I phoned Sony today and told the tech about my blurry and turquoise eye problem and he laughed a little about turquoise eyes and knew what red eye was but not turquoise. He said he thought it was a lighting problem. I am not sure about that. It may be that although the 35 mm camera sits on the same shelf for self timer and takes good pics, maybe the digital camera in the same place obviously has a problem focussing. But it may have something to do with the camera not being high enough, so cannot focus properly straight ahead. I haven't been able to take pictures of people indoors yet.The conversation with the Sony guy ended up with him saying I could take it to Sony which is not all that far from me but they would have to keep it for a few days, then I said if that is the case, I may as well exchange it for another one at the store as its under 30 days. Maybe if I got another one, it would be the same. I am just afraid that it might be the camera has a problem focussing under certain lighting conditions and does that mean I have to make sure if I want in a photo that it won't be blurry. So I am not sure what to do now. I am considering taking it back tomorrow but only considering.

This is my 1st digital camera. I am still a big fan of film, and so perhaps my expectations are shaped by that. But I am really having fun using it and I treat it just like any other camera - using the light and moving position (not the lens)
Quote:
Well, I still like my 35 mm but wanted to try digital even though they are very expensive and by the time you buy this and that accessory, the price is getting higher and higher. I just got a memory stick today and I got 512 MB a sony memory stick Pro Magic Gate because it was on sale, but we also have Memory stick pro. So now I hear the Magic gate is more for videos and encryption and not needed for digital cameras, so I am wondering if I should just have got the regular memory stick pro or if it matters. you are losing some space when you use Magic gate as its not needed for its features. Have you ever used it?
Quote:
So tomorrow I will have to consider exchanging the camera and exchanging the memory stick. I am not sure what I should do. what do you think? I wouldn't mind input
Quote:
Finally, the big boy is my nephew, the little boy is his half-brother, and they're with my new baby boy who is coming home today!
Quote:
The little boy is so cute with his hand on the baby's blanket. and congrats on the beautiful baby.
Quote:
Thanks. I won't bother previewing this in case the message disappears LOL
Old Sep 29, 2005, 9:46 PM   #27

sime, I replied to your message, btu typed on the gray part of the screen. Maybe I was supposed to type on the black screen? I hope you can read my message OK. I am not used to this forum yet.