Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 18, 2005, 6:08 PM   #1

Hi. Love my H1 and decided to purchase the Sony 1.7x teleconverter lens for it. I received the lens with week and decided to check it out this weekend. I've attached the lens with the adapter, and notice that the zoom range is now 6.2x to 12x which I know is to eliminate being able to see the barrel of the lens in the lcd. I went into the menu settings and selected TELE for the conversoin lens. Now the little tele icon appears on the lcd.

My question is that the teleconversion lens doesn't seem to add much magnification. When I zoom to 12x with the tele lens on, the image appears pretty much the same as without it on. What am I doing wrong. I typically don't use digital zoom, so I have that turned off. Others have raved about how much extra magnification the teleconverter lens adds, but I'm not seeing it.

Thanks!!

Kevin
kkj1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2005, 10:47 PM   #2

I wish I could help with this also but guess what... I'm having the same problem. I was expecting the zoom to be much better but it almost feels like it actually is limiting me... I guess this wasn't just me!
Anzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 11:04 PM   #3

Here are two images talen with my H1 at 12x zoom, the first one is without the telephoto lens:
Attached Images

CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 11:05 PM   #4

and this one is with the VCL-HGD1758 1.7x tele lens:
Attached Images

CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:10 AM   #5

i also bought the sony 1.7 telephoto lens. I was experimenting with it and took a picture of a car across the street...it didnt look like much difference on the camera screen, but when i viewed it on my computer, i was able to read the tire size from the cars tire...not a huge difference, but definetely increased the closeness.... probably mostly hype to get us to buy extra product...lol 12x optical is very nice to start with...i love the camera
sjg255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 6:26 AM   #6

kkj1961 wrote:
Quote:
Hi. Love my H1 and decided to purchase the Sony 1.7x teleconverter lens for it. I received the lens with week and decided to check it out this weekend. I've attached the lens with the adapter, and notice that the zoom range is now 6.2x to 12x which I know is to eliminate being able to see the barrel of the lens in the lcd. I went into the menu settings and selected TELE for the conversoin lens. Now the little tele icon appears on the lcd.

My question is that the teleconversion lens doesn't seem to add much magnification. When I zoom to 12x with the tele lens on, the image appears pretty much the same as without it on. What am I doing wrong. I typically don't use digital zoom, so I have that turned off. Others have raved about how much extra magnification the teleconverter lens adds, but I'm not seeing it.

Thanks!!

Kevin
That does not seem to make sense. You are taking a 432mm at 12X and multiplying it by 1.7 for a total of 735mm. You should see a big difference.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 5:29 PM   #7

Here are two images taken with my H1:

at 12X Zoom

at 20X Zoom (with the telephoto lens 1.7X):
valterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 6:18 PM   #8

That looks correct.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote