Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 19, 2005, 7:02 PM   #1

Hi Everyone-

I am very interested in the new Sony R-1. It seems to offer a REAL solution to what we amatuer/advanced photographers have been looking for over the last 20 years. Now we will have a great all in one digital camera, with a great lens, and able to take advantage of ISO settings of up to ISO 3200.

As far as I know it is scheduled for a November release. I can hardly wait!

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2005, 9:49 AM   #2

Hello Sarah,

Nice to see such cameras appearing, but I am more interested in Sony R-2 or R-3 with greater focal range (24mm wide is great, but 120mm zoom too limited for me) and video capability (again, important in my case).

Other than that, it is certainly a camera that is not far behind dSLRs in terms of image noise and light sensitivity and better than entry-level dSLRs in terms of optics.
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 10:26 PM   #3

<<Nice to see such cameras appearing, but I am more interested in Sony R-2 or R-3 with greater focal range (24mm wide is great, but 120mm zoom too limited for me) and video capability (again, important in my case).>>

In my case also. I need more zoom mand less megapixels. The scary thing is that my local Circuit City, Best Buy, CompUSA, and Wolf camera all go from a Panasonic FZ5 and Sony H1 type camera right into the DSLRs. The don't want to seem to fool with carrying a camera like even a Panasonic FZ30, Nikon 8800,Minolta A1 In their minds after a consumer graduates form a camera like a FZ5 or point and shoot Sony..the next market up capability and price-wise that sells well is a digital SLR. So it doesn't look like the bigger electronics stores think a camera this expensive that isn't a DSLR will sell that well.

Chrystie

Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 7:56 AM   #4

Quote:
The scary thing is that my local Circuit City, Best Buy, CompUSA, and Wolf camera all go from a Panasonic FZ5 and Sony H1 type camera right into the DSLRs. The don't want to seem to fool with carrying a camera like even a Panasonic FZ30, Nikon 8800,Minolta A1 In their minds after a consumer graduates form a camera like a FZ5 or point and shoot Sony..the next market up capability and price-wise that sells well is a digital SLR. So it doesn't look like the bigger electronics stores think a camera this expensive that isn't a DSLR will sell that well.

Chrystie
I wouldn't assume that these retailers are not carrying those cameras because of poor sales. The Nikon 8800 and other cameras you mentionwere released over a year ago...I work for a major electronics retailer and you won't find hardly any cameras on the shelf that are older than 6-9 months old in any class or at any pricepoint. This is a rapidly changing technology and retailers will always stick to the newest items as margins (and hence profitability) are much higher. I almost think you are hoping this camera fails:lol:

Sony is such a big player in the electronics marketplace, you can pretty much guarentee the R1 will be readily available at the retail level.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 11:43 AM   #5

Nope...they *Never* carried tha Minolta A1, Nikon 8800. Ther isn't a single store in town that is even carrying a Panasonic FZ30, whereas Circuit City and Wolf carried the FZ20,. It stops at the FZ5 and the Sony H1. Then right to DSLRs. These stores are kinda weather-meters of what will be big sellers and they are saying that most people go to DSLRs after about the $600 mark - hence even the new Panasonic FZ30 is in no man's land now. Oh youcan order "niche" cameras on line for places like B&H, but when you stop seeing these cameras in Best Buy, Curcuit City, CompUSA, Wolf Camera and such major B&M electronics stores, it's an ominous omen that the hand-writing is on the wall that they see this new camera in a marketing no-man's land between the Ultrazoomsthat are less that $600 and the DSLRs thatstart around $700. I never saw so many DSLRs as I saw at Circuit City yesterday. Theys had multiple Canons, and Nikons. They are not even carrying the upper tier Nikon Cool Pix models any more. Only the lesser than $400 dollar Point and shoots. That's waht is selling now. The point and shoots at $400 and less and the Panasonic FZ5, some Fujis,and the Sony H1 at aaround $500. They still have the V3, I think, but they tell me the big seller is the Sony H1. After these cameras, the options price and feature wise that sells for them are the DSLRs.

Chrystie
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:36 AM   #6

Chrystie.

You seem very concerned about whether the Sony R-1 will sell well or not due to its price tag. Obviously this camera does not suit you. You've made that point clear on several occasions.

Now you're going on about how well this camera will sell or not. Who cares? Personally, I don't care if the price is 600$ or 1000$. If the camera suits me (I'm not saying it will) then I'll buy it. I couldn't care less if it's a big success sales wise. Do you?

nymano.
nymano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 9:28 AM   #7

Because, nymano, if this camera is a low selling niche camera, Sony will join the trend of most digital camere makers and assume that a DSLR is the way to go after the $700 dollar or so "sweet spot". I don't want a DSLR because I want a live preview, but I suspect this camera will be a nail in the coffin of those who so want a non-DSLR that has some "umph" in the telephote range *and* low noise. It'sthe personification of the "megapixel race" marketing ploy, rather than a decent zoom range.

If you don't believe me, visit your local Circuit City of Best Buy and look at the cameras they have there. Anything past $600 is a digital SLR. Sony might not getchance to make their new cam better with the next model, if the R1 isan also ran.

Chrystie

Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:20 AM   #8

Mercurycu wrote:
Quote:
It'sthe personification of the "megapixel race" marketing ploy, rather than a decent zoom range.
You're permanently equating your expectations with those of the mass. For me, the 24-120mm zoom *is* a decent range.

What's all this premature row about R-1 sales good for? If the R-1 flops, fair enough, Sony might leave the prosumer market for good. And? Do you seriously think Sony will drop their concept of live preview CMOS? Hardly. Stick it in their "DLSR" (or whatever it may be) and let's get crackin'.

I'm expecting quite an uproar in DSLR next year - no matter how well the R-1 goes.

nymano.
nymano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:04 PM   #9

Yep. I either want a DSLR with a live preview or a low noise non-SLR with a good zoom range. :-) Neither of which exists now. Sigh. If Sony teams with Minolta though, I'll bet the resulting DSLRs won't have a Live preview. It's one of the features I really enjoy with digital photography. I can't understand why the DSLR designers can't catch up with the times and give that *and* an optical viewfinder. It's like DSLR design is stuck in an SLR1960s body-design rut. :-( (Geezzz... can't Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, and Minolta be a little innovative???) I've had live preview since my Olympus C2500L - which was the last camera I had that didn't (1998 - so I've had Live Preview for 7 years and I'm not giving that up!!!)

I'm just an *extremely* frustrated consumer becauseI can't find either a DSLR with Live Preview or an advanced Prosumer non-DSLR that has low noise and good telephoto.

The other little odd thing that I want on my dream non-DSLR is the in camera red-eye reduction. For my indoor family shotsand sci-fi converntion shots, it sure is great not to have to constantly remove red-eye in Photoshop. Nikon and Olympus are on to a nifty little feature. Sony needs to include it as an option on their cameras. I wish my H1 had it.

Chrystie
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:52 PM   #10

By nature of design, it is impossible for a DSLR to have live preview. The "r" stands reflex mirror which prevents live image preview. Also shuttermechanism designprevents live preview as well. Any camera not having these features by definition cannot be a DSLR.

What you are looking for would be truly unique and groundbreaking.....as well as expensive. A design such as this would probably require a whole new investment lenses as the current crop of SLR lenses would not be compatible with a new system. DSLR's are popular because most SLR lenses will work on them. Photographers are used to changing bodies....bodies are considered disposable, and lenses are considered an investment. I'm not ready to start all over and junk my current lens investment that I expect to last a lifetime.

This is why I believe the R1 is important. It represents the first new step in camera design that will give SLR results in a fixed lensdigicam. Sure it's going to have limitations (as does any camera), but to me this camera is the "missing link" in camera design evolution. By Sony taking this risk, you will be one step closer to be able to buy your dream camera.

You are somewhat correct in saying saying that higher end digicams aren't big sellers and cannot be found in Big box electronic retailers. They were once readily available (this is a fact...trust me, I'm in the business). The real reason for their decline is performance. You did not get significantly better image quality, especially in terms of noise and low light performance. They were also very slow andlacked a true wide end (which is more important to the pro market they are aimed at). The R1 addresses 2 of these three issues. Again this is a huge step forward.

You may not appreciate the R1 now, but you will eventually appreciate future models that come about as a result of this camera.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote