Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:04 PM   #1

I personally believe that Sony has the opportunity to take a real leadership role in the digital camera industry world with their new introduction the Sony R-1. This will be a ground breaking digital camera. For all those folks who have yearned for a single/fixed lens digital camera that fully meets their digital camera needs, such as high ISO capabilities, the R-1 is THE digital camera. Scheduled for a November 2005 introduction, the R-1 opens a whole new chapter in the digital camera world.

I, for one will be out here attempting to purchase the first R-1 that is made available to the general pubic. I think it is a truly great digital camera.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:33 AM   #2

speaklightly wrote:
Quote:
For all those folks who have yearned for a single/fixed lens digital camera that fully meets their digital camera needs, such as high ISO capabilities, the R-1 is THE digital camera.
I, for one will be out here attempting to purchase the first R-1 that is made available to the general pubic. I think it is a truly great digital camera.
I feel quite the same. But I'll wait for the production model reviews and maybe for a price drop after new year.
nymano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:52 PM   #3

Not to rain on the parade, but i think Sony has mistepped with a camera that lacks the zoom range for the non DSLR that I would want. They would have been better to go with less megapixels and more zoom. Wide angle is nice...but 5X is pretty much a no-show (for me). Better to fdop the megapixels back enough to at least have a 7X zoom. This camera ia a mis-match mis-market., over -priced. DSLRs that are faster and can cover the zoom range will kill it on one hand. The current crop of top of the line UZs are half the price and kill it on the other side.

Don't get me wrong I love Sony. I have a F717, W1, V1, H1, P10, and T1. But for the camera I want instead of a DSLR now, I need the zoom range of my Nikon 8800 or my Panasonic FZ20. As a person that never wants a DSLR (because of the LCD Live preview loss),any top of the line prosumer camera that doesn't cover the zoom range up to 8X is a non consideration for me. Plus this camera is as heavy as a brick. 2 pounds???? I predict this camera will hit a very small niche that just won't sell well at it's current bloated price.

If this camera was cheaper than a Pany FZ30, then I would consider it for a new toy. Now way am I forking out more than $1000 for the big baby.

Chrystie
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 3:10 PM   #4

Idon't think this is a misstep. I also don't think this is going to be a huge seller either. Because of image qualityand great performance at all ISO's I think this will find its way into alot of pro bags. The "x" zoom factor means very little most pro's/serious amatuers. The true focal length of 24-120 exceeds the kit lens on both ends of most DSLR's and the true focal length of most conumer digicams (except the superzooms, which are a small part of the market). It would be considerably more expensive to purchase lenses that beat this camera on the wide end and zoom end. Lack of wide angle has been the one issue in the DSLR market, and this camera finally addresses it. I see this camera fitting in nicely in the portrait and landscape shooters bags. This may not be a perfect camera, but is definetly a step in the right direction, and the first signifcant advance in the digicam market in a while.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:53 PM   #5

<<I also don't think this is going to be a huge seller either.>>

That was my point all along:-) and why it isn't a great move market-wise. I thought the digital camera makers wanted to make money.

<<The "x" zoom factor means very little most pro's/serious amatuers.>>

Uhhmmm..It does if you specialize in wildlife photography.

And the speed will matter if your subject is anything that actually moves fasteer tnan a snail, and is not a motionless lump like a bush or rock. :-}

Cut the megapixels, up the zoom and the speedand they really would have a camera that would be a DSLR killer. Then I would cough up more than that $1000 bucks.

Chrystie

Old Sep 21, 2005, 3:21 AM   #6

I fully agree with Sarah Joyce.....

I now own, almost over a year, aPanasonic FZ20. Fully satisfied with it, but I do miss wide angle, higher ISO and sometimes more pixels because I want to print my bestshots realy big.... so I bought a Canon EOS20D and an expensive L lens, but I was not happy at all with the results. So, without financial damage I sold it within a few weeks... I looked also at the FZ30 and the Samsung Pro815......

I now use a Sony wide end conversion lens on my FZ, but I don't like working with it. The solution for me, is this new R-1 camera. I will keep my FZ20 for my daily photography-work for my group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/terschellingfoto/

Also for my tele-shots. But for those special photos, I'm looking forward to this R-1. Of course there are camera's with more this or that, but for me it is a perfect supplement. It's hard to please everybody, because of difference in whishes and financial possibilities etc...

For our Dutch reading members, I did start a R-1 group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sony-R1/

Jan
vogel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 5:46 AM   #7

Chrystie,

I believe you have misunderstood my comment about "x" factor. I understand zoom is important in wildlife photography. My remark is not directed at usefullness of zoom, but at the term "x". For example, a 28-80 and 70-210 are both 3x zooms (approx), but are obviously very different lenses. I don't think any pros/advanced amatuers buy lenses based on the "x" factor..they buy based on true focal length. You never see DSLR lenses referred to by their "x" factor.

I also believe you are being a little harsh on this camera. I realize this camera is not for you based on your shooting needs, but that doesn't make it a bad camera or mean that it's destined to fail.This is going to be a niche camera (I believe superzooms are a niche as they make up a small part of the market as well). I even said this iscamera is more for landscape and portrait photographers (ones that don't need shot to shotspeed or extra reach, but would need the extra wide end).More importantly this camera represents a huge leap forward in prosumer digicams (usable high ISO's). Like any other camera, it is not going to be for everyone, or set any sales records, but it will help push things to the next level.

Although this camera probably won't be in my bag (I do most of mycritical shooting with a Nikon D70, andalso shoot daily with a Sony V3), I'm excited aboutaboutwhere the technology may be heading. Who knows, after a few price drops, it may make its way into my bag.

Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:23 PM   #8

The ONLY problem I have with the R-1 is the price. For $600-700, I'm interested. At $1000, I'm not.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 3:18 PM   #9

So now if I want to cover all zoom areas that a DSLR could with a body and two lenses, I would have to carry two whole cameras (one weighing over 2 pounds). I need to carry a Panasonic FZ30 and a Sony R1. (Kinda defeats the purpose have having a non DSLR top of the line that can do the basic things a DSLR can.)

If Sony had put some more zoom and less megapixels with a tad more speed this baby it would have been the one camera to carry around. IMHO, they would have then had a camera thatsold great guns.

DSLRs are selling like hotcakes now. I don't want one. But this camera sure isn't going to give them a run for their money. I still want to only carry around one camera, so it's not an option in my mind with the lack of zoom muscle. So that will be a Panasonic FZ30 or a Nikon 8800. (Half the price of this Sony.)

I'm just shaking my head the gurus at SONY missed the boat after coming so close.

Chrystie

Old Sep 21, 2005, 6:06 PM   #10

Quote:
I still want to only carry around one camera, so it's not an option in my mind with the lack of zoom muscle. So that will be a Panasonic FZ30 or a Nikon 8800. (Half the price of this Sony.)
I guess we agree to disagree. Remember, you do not represent the entire digicam market. Every photographer has different needs and specs. Obviously this is not the right camera for you. This fact alone does not doom the camera for failure in the marketplace. The two cams you mention are good cameras, but also have some serious limitiations that the R1 addresses, namely great low light performance, a wide usable range of ISO's,and an aperature range comparble to DSLR's allowing better DOF control. I owned an 8800 and found it to be unusable for my needs because of these limitations. No one camera will fit every need. When making decisions, a photographer must decide what is best for him/her. There is alot of positive buzz about this camera, and it will certainly fill the needs of many photographers. Again this camera represents a major step forward in the digicam industy, certainly lead to even better things in the future.