Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:38 AM   #1

Hello,*I want something small (does not have to be pocketable) and have looked at many review of many brands. The sony 150 and 200 seem like they would meet my meager needs (travel, around home, internet use) quite well. I wonder if there is a big difference in the two since both seem to be still available at about the same price?Also, wonder if any other sony's may be worth a look over these.I do want small and easy to carry, it does not have to be tiny though. Something like the little contax cameras is fine (T3)Thanksguit
guitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2005, 7:55 PM   #2

The 150 is friendlier. As for the p200,, sure is fixed frombehavior. It seems more difficult. Also there is the pentaxs s5i thats nyce too. I cant leave out the sd500 ( dont know about the similar sd550. The p200 is not too quick on demanded composition. The p10 back then ,on specs now, look quick with exposure bracketing.

amazon. com though p200 is 7mps and with spot focus and center metering. 8))
qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 7:55 PM   #3

The 150 is friendlier. As for the p200,, sure is fixed frombehavior. It seems more difficult. Also there is the pentaxs s5i thats nyce too. I cant leave out the sd500 ( dont know about the similar sd550. The p200 is not too quick on demanded composition. The p10 back then ,on specs now, look quick with exposure bracketing.

amazon. com though p200 is 7mps and with spot focus and center metering. 8))
qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 8:16 PM   #4

I stopped by Best buy as well as a local camera shop today. The elph SD400 was way too small, the SD550 seemed a little better, I did not get a chance to see the S60 (and I want to because of the lens size)...the saleman at BestBuy, where they did have the Sony P200 said they come back in more often than other camera's, that they have mechanical problems, don't know if this is correct or not (the they I think was just Sony in general)... I also saw the Nikon 7900. What I can say is that these cameras are much smaller than I thought, and I actually want something a bit bigger, the Nikon was ok, hard to tell about the Canon SD550 as they have them attached to these handles, so Thursday I will bet to a better shop to see and feel some more.Thanks
Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:24 AM   #5

the P150/200 are great allround cameras not too small, not too big and have a load of features.
though i had some problems with my P200 (dust on the CCD). the resulting images from this camera are simply put amazing (indoors and outdoors) tho for indoors you do need a steady hand.

also if you dont want to spend alot and willing to sacrafice a few MP's the S60 is a great camera easily fits into your pocket but still not too small, picture quality is superb too .
Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 4:27 AM   #6

Tryant, thanks..I found it interesting that two places, one that does not carry the sony and one that does were saying that sony was not durable. I have read the reports of dust with the sony, and appreciate your report. I am sure I will take a fair number of indoor photos as well as outdoor. I will have the opportunity on Thursday to see the 200 and hopefully the S60 up close. I am not sure that a 5mp camera is not all that I need, I have heard it should be more than enough.What I really like about the Canon S60 is the 28mm lens, I think that makes alot of sense.guit
Old Sep 25, 2005, 11:58 PM   #7

I like my P200, no dust problems and a protected LCD screen unlike the P150, SD400 and others. Its quick and easy to use I find, and takes good pictures.

Im no pro nor do I pretend to be one, havent tried taking serious photos since I last used my Pentax K1000 15yrs ago, so I dont need fantastic optics and amazing features, just something that works well and takes good photos.

As for durability, just dont drop your camera, that goes for any brand.
darntoothysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 6:13 AM   #8
ses

I have had a P150 for a year and cannot recommend it .The dust problem has already forced me to send the camera for warranty service thrice. The second time around, the focus function was out of order, too.

Having received it back from Sony the 2nd time, they had not bothered to fix the focus problem, claiming there was nothing wrong. I insisted on returning it to have them look at it again, and after having been without the camera for more than a month I now have it back with the lens replaced.

After this experience, my appreciation of the Sony brand is very low (this after having been a strong advocate, having spent tens of thousands of dollars on Sony TVs, hifi, walkman, VCR ...). In my view Sony can't justify premium brand/premium price any longer. Others seem to agree ... Sony is currently laying of 8,000 people. They have problems.
ses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:27 PM   #9

P200 is better. It has a larger LCD, more powerful noise reduction and a manual white balance set.
uuse is offline   Reply With Quote