Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 22, 2005, 6:10 AM   #1

Hello, I have been researching and I have seen dust as an issue on these cameras. Can someone explain to me what this means?3 stores now have bad mouthed the Sony line to me, one small shop and Best Buy and Ciruit city, and I don't get it. The small shop does not carry sony but the other two do, and they have said the build quality is sub par and they get the most returns with sony, over 50%..does this sound fishy?Thanksguit
guitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2005, 7:24 AM   #2

well the P200 does have a slight problem with dust, take a look at this

their are 3 different spots the smaller rounded ones are damage to the CCD and the bigger one in the center is probably lint or some other small particle. this is what i was told by sony.

apparently in the P100 and above series of cameras dust or small dirt particles find their way easily on to the CCD.
Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 7:29 AM   #3

Tyrant, thank you....does the dust cause any problems other than looking bad, or distracting one from a pic ?Thanksguit
Old Sep 22, 2005, 12:13 PM   #4

well bro the smudges dont effect the image quality or the mechanics, but they are an eysore when they appear, buti was still able to get good (imo) pics even with the dust spots.

heres a few examples

(outdoors action shot)

(outdoors regular)

(outdoors/indoors high contrast)

(Night photography)

photographs have not been retouched or manipulated just resized using photoshop.
sorry that their are no indoor shots to share but they are just as good .
Old Sep 23, 2005, 1:30 PM   #5

Tyrant, those are great shots...I am very stuck right now on what to do..I visited a shop yesrterday and got to hold some camera's, I also visited a site on line where you can do a comparison of images taken with different cameras (although some are bigger than others so it is not a true comparison). ¬* ¬*http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTMThis was very interesting to me...they all looked good a small sizes (Nikon 7900, Sony 150 and 200, Canon SD500 and S60 and S70)....When I was at the shop I found out the following:Sony, nice and small, but not too small, some but not much manual control (not sure if this is an issue or not)Nikon, very comfortable to hold (does well with red eye, as does the sony)Canon, the SD is a bit small but ok, the image quality was not as good as the S60 or S 70, although these are bigger cameras, but¬* not as big as my TVSll. I am stuck big time, but I don't have to buy today...the S6 has a great price point at $265, plus memory card and I think I will buy an extra warrantee on anything I buy since I see there are all sorts of little problems that can occur....HELP...no really, I wish the reviews on all of these were not so nixed, but it makes it hard for me to decide...a vacation camera should not be this hard to get a decision on, I am just a bit too anal for my own good.Thanks for your help, keep it coming if you don't mind.guit
Old Sep 24, 2005, 1:19 PM   #6

guitone wrote:
Quote:
Tyrant, those are great shots...I am very stuck right now on what to do..I visited a shop yesrterday and got to hold some camera's, I also visited a site on line where you can do a comparison of images taken with different cameras (although some are bigger than others so it is not a true comparison). http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTMThis was very interesting to me...they all looked good a small sizes (Nikon 7900, Sony 150 and 200, Canon SD500 and S60 and S70)....When I was at the shop I found out the following:Sony, nice and small, but not too small, some but not much manual control (not sure if this is an issue or not)Nikon, very comfortable to hold (does well with red eye, as does the sony)Canon, the SD is a bit small but ok, the image quality was not as good as the S60 or S 70, although these are bigger cameras, but not as big as my TVSll. I am stuck big time, but I don't have to buy today...the S6 has a great price point at $265, plus memory card and I think I will buy an extra warrantee on anything I buy since I see there are all sorts of little problems that can occur....HELP...no really, I wish the reviews on all of these were not so nixed, but it makes it hard for me to decide...a vacation camera should not be this hard to get a decision on, I am just a bit too anal for my own good.Thanks for your help, keep it coming if you don't mind.guit
honestly i don't know what to tell you, had my P200 not had any problems i would've considered it the perfect camera for every ocassion. but with this dust problem and seeing so many people have it i'mdissuaded from recommending it.

its a shame tho coz even after months of searching and reading thru tons of reviews the P200 always comes out on top for me. even now when given a chance to replace it i'm having a really hard time to choose another cam! seriously the p200 spoils you with its fast startup, great battery life, excellent pics...etc..
i've looked intoall of the cams you posted and almost none seemed to live up to the p200 (IMO), the only other camera that came close was the SD500 but the price difference was too much!
but not to confuse you even more but you could take a look at the canon A610/620 they are on par with the SD500 specs wise but i'd think image quality maybe better.

heheh i dont think i help any with this post, but i do wish you all the luck in finding the right camera for you.