Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:38 PM   #1

I'm still looking for this description in the book.

I've read about all the priority buttons, (A)pature, S and M as well as the others.
But. If you look on the mode dial at the green camera icon which is Auto, Turning the dial counter clockwise, there is another little Black- camera icon with the (P) to the right.

What is this little black camera iconfor exactly?

And if I can just ask another quick question:
When you enter into manual mode, doses changing one thing affect the other? For example if I change the aperture speed will I need to make adjustments in other things such as ISO and Shudder speed?

Sony DSC 717

Starstreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:59 PM   #2

It is to shoot stills in "programmed mode". To further read about it go to the Sony website and download the.pdf manual here: http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-...pl?mdl=DSCF717

On my F828, the "P" mode allows me to set any parameters, focus, metering, speed, aperature, certain menu items like ISO, etc. to my choice yet still maintain automatic functioning. I suspect it is similar on your 717.

The manualshouldexplain it all for you and how to use program mode. Hope this helps!

On edit, look starting on page 46 of the 717 manual for the camera icon with the P ... the manual does not specifically "name" this setting in the text, so eyball Advanced Settings. Be sure to read the small type "footnotes" on each page as more details about the program mode are there, too.

hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 1:09 AM   #3

Thank you hgernhardtir for the link and pointing me to the exact page.
I appreciate that!

I dohave that exact manual/ book but I didn't see it. It looks like that .Pdf is revised!

Btw, how do you like that F828, I should have waited for that one which came out 2 months after I bought mine.

Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:49 AM   #4

I like the DSC-F828 very much and over the past year it has become my always-with-me camera ... it is one I recommend to many of my students due to its excellent cost/value/feature status. In short, an outstanding all-in-one "prosumer" digital camera that rivals higher cost dSLRs in many areas.

While I still prefer dSLRs for most professional situations, the all-in-one F828 is always ready with an outstanding lens, very fair video capability,and many functions instantly at hand with little or no fumbling (unlike dSLRs which often require lens changes, camera bag, etc.). With appropriate filters, it is a good infrared shooter, too.

Unfortunately, it is rapidly being sold out and it looks like the R1 is the replacement; IMHO, other than the outstanding increase in megapixels, the R1 falls short in lens and a couple of other areas. Perhaps Sony will surprise us later this year with a true replacement for the F828, but at this point no one knows.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:01 PM   #5

hmm, what is are dSLRs?
not sure what that means?
Old Sep 29, 2005, 7:51 AM   #6

SLR means "single lens reflex" ... in other words a camera with interchangable lenses AND that when you look through the viewfinder you are actually looking through the main lens itself ... you see EXACTLY what the camera sees.

A dSLR or DSLR is exactly the same thing, only DIGITAL (not film-based). The Canon 20D is an example of this kind of camera and could be considered VERY high level "prosumer" or somewhat low level "professional" model depending on your point of view and definition. The so-called "professional" cameras often start at over $2000 just for the body. In general, though, I personally catagorize most dSLRs in the professional category both because of their plethora of features, interchangable and EXPENSIVE lenses,flexibility, and their cost!