Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 1, 2005, 6:40 PM   #1

Is there anything safe that I can use to lub the USB jack on my F717?
Not that I'm having a problem at the moment but it seems rough when I plug the jack into the side of the camera at times and I don't want the metal to start wearing away.

Also, what happens if the flash on the camera ever burnt out, it doesn't look like something you can just replace?

Starstreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2005, 9:47 AM   #2

As with any flash, especially built in ones, off to the repair center if you want it fixed.

I would NOT use lubricant on the connections in a camera. Dust and grit will gradually adhere and you will eventually ruin the connector. If it gives you problems, try another cord or,again off to the repair center. Otherwise retreive your shots from a card reader.

The connectiors are designed to withstand many plug-in and removal cycles ... probably far more than you would make in a lifetime. The bane of those connectors is dust and dirt ... you may want to gently blow them out on occasion if you have lost the protective cover. That's why I make sure to properly close the cover on my F828, your camera's younger sibling.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 2:49 PM   #3

Use a card reader rather than connecting the camera directly to the computer. Get a USB 2 reader and make sure it is a hi-speed unit, not a USB 1.1 pretending to be USB 2.

This will also allow you to transfer your images to the computer much faster than the direct connection to the camera.

As for the flash. If it breaks, burns out, it's off to the repair center. No other option. But ALL cameras are like that, so don't worry.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:08 PM   #4

I didn't think about getting a card reader, didn't know they had portable ones like that. Very cool!
Starstreams is offline   Reply With Quote