Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 2, 2005, 3:39 AM   #1

I've taken several close-up portraits of family members with my new P200, with varying degrees of success.

I'm generally happy with the quality, but one problem seems to be quite noticeable reflected highlights in the subject's hair - very fine, silvery thread-like - almost like a spider's web!

I've been using the highest resolution setting, with flash.

Any advice on how to avoid this phenomenon would be very welcome. Do I reduce the resolution and perhaps lose some definition, or try without flash and risk an underexposed shot?

How do YOU set your P200 for this type of shot?

On a positive note the red-eye suppression is superb on this camera, I've never seen any!

Thanks in anticipation.
dalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2005, 4:49 AM   #2

you could try using hte manual mode on the cam and try adjusting the shutter speed back a bit to compensate for no flash. As ong as you got some fair lighting the shutter speed shouldnt get silly (e.g. 1/5) where its almost impossible to hold the cam or havbe the subject still.

Also with the flash on you could try using the "P MODE" and try reducing the sharpness on the adjustments menu as i have noticed some silver flare when this is maxed out.
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 1:54 PM   #3

Thanks for that, reducing the sharpness does seem to improve matters without any appreciable loss of definition. I guess it's just a matter of trying out different modes and settings until I hit the right one.

Regards
dalesman is offline   Reply With Quote