Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 3, 2005, 1:40 AM   #1

I purchased an H1 last month. I have been more than happy with the images ( mostly nature subjects ) that I take, up until I had to attend a party with friends.

Almost all the pictures I took are blurred or if not the whole picture, certain parts of it are. I always use the auto setting ( the one with the green camera icon ).

It seems that even at the slightest movement of a person there seems to be a "ghosting" effect that happens.

I brought it back to where I got the camera to ask for help and so that the person in charge of the cameras can help me out with this problem and true enough, even he cannot explain why there seems to be a ghosting effect on all the pictures UNLESS he uses a Flash.

I don't like using the flash since it makes the subjects seem so unnatural. He even tried it with different settings but it always turned out the same UNLESS you let the person stay put and tell them not to move.

I also tried taking picture of hawaiian dancers while they were performing and none of the pictures that I took passed because of the ghosting effect.

Just to let you see what I am talking about, I am attaching an example which I cropped to show the part with the ghosting effect.

Help please :sad:
Attached Images

div3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2005, 5:01 AM   #2

If you don't use a flash, the camera forces a slower shutter speed in auto mode. The pic you posted had a 1/8sec shutter speed which will result in blurred photos even with the slightest movement.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 5:24 AM   #3

Hi, thanks for the input but like I said in my previous post ...

Blurred or ghosting images turn out almost always for all the people subjects even if the person from Sony tried out different settings for the camera ( manual adjustment of shutter speed included ).

Even when a flash isn't needed, on a sunny day for example, the people subjects turn out blurred or has that ghosting effect.

Oh well, I'll just have to keep on trying or I'll just have to bring my ol' reliable DSC-S70 with me at parties or family get-togethers.

It's just sad because I've never had this problem with any of my previous sony cameras and because of this, I don't have the same strong faith in sony cameras like I used to anymore
Old Oct 3, 2005, 6:50 AM   #4

I was reading a post recently on one of the forums about a similar problem.

The camera was replaced and the person who owned the camera showed side by side images done with the two camera's.

There was no question from the images that the first camera was defective
As the image is viewable right then and there why not do a comparison shoot at the camera store under same conditions and check the results against another dsc-h1 from stock.
Good Luck
Geoff
limeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 7:04 AM   #5

I would be curious to see the EXIF data on the outdoor pics you have that exhibit subject blur.I'd be willing to bet slow shutter speeds are the issue.As Cybershot said, the shutter speed is just to slow in the posted pic to prevent subject blur.it doesn't matter whatP&Scamera you're using or who you are, in indoor situations, you almost always have to use flash to freeze the subject and prevent blur. There usually is just not enough light to get the correct exposure. One thing you could try is to bump the ISO up to 400..this will allow faster shutter speeds (at the expense of greater noise). This is where DSLR's have a significant advantage over P&S cameras, as they have much higher usable ISO's. You could also try dialing back your flash power or diffusing your flash to get a softer, more natural look while still getting the correct exposure.

One other thing to keep in mind is to try to shoot at the shortest focal length (no zoom). The camera lens uses the largest aperatures at short focal lengths which allow in more light allowing shorter shutter speeds.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 1:26 AM   #6

Thank you so much for all your comments. I truly appreciate all of them and will try to make adjustments and see if I still have the same problem with taking people shots.

limeyg: I truly appreciate all the help via private message. Thanks

rjseeney: As much as I would have wanted to give you examples of the outdoor pictures with camera blur or ghosting effect, I cannot because I have a habit of deleting blurred pictures to save up on space. I will try to take some again and this time I will use the suggestions that you gave regarding my problem.

Thanks a lot again :-)
Old Oct 9, 2005, 6:52 PM   #7

I am also having exactly the same problem with my H1 I purchased, all images of people comes blurred and vibration warning always comes even though using tripod. Can you tell me whether this is a camera problem and it needs to be replaced or we can fix it.
zambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 6:45 AM   #8

Are you sure it isn't the anti-shake indicator that is on?? Anti-shake should be turned off when using a tripod. The camera assumes there will be vibration, and compensates when it doesn't have to, creating blurred images.

Also, remember IS (or even a tripod for that matter) will not eliminate subject blur from using a slow shutter speed. The only way to freeze motion is to use either a fast shutter speed (1/125 or faster), or by using flash. If you do not want to use flash, you will have to increase ISO, and try to shoot at the shortest focal length (no zoom) to allow the camera to use the largest aperature. IS (and tripods) only will eliminate camera shake problems when shooting static subjects.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:21 PM   #9

I am trying to click indoor pictures. Flash is on in all the pictures. I understand slow shutter speed might be causing the issue, but the question is I did not have this problem with my other digital camera like canon A80/canon S50 etc.. They should also be using slow shutter speed in indoor situation in auto mode. Then why Sony is creating this issue. Is it because of the size of the camera. Also the vibration shake warning poping at the center of the screen in every picture click is so frustating.
zambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 6:17 AM   #10

Sounds to me like your slow syncro flash is on. Make sure the flash is either set to on or auto.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote