Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:03 AM   #11

Il go outside and take some auto shots and then post them here. Thanks guys.
Vinny77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 11:13 AM   #12

Vinny, I was able to look at the EXIF for your cat shot posted above. It says you took the photo 12/25/2004 with your Sony DSC-W1 at about 8am (if you didn't, be sure to set your camera's time/date). Your lens was set to 23.7mm, exposure was a slow 1/30, f-stop was 5.2 (not too much depth of field), and your ISO was 100 (a bit low for the lighting) using Manual settings. Your flash probably did not fire, because its value was "undefined". Other info is shown, too.

To have shot the cat SHARPLY (no hand shake), you would have needed at least 1/60 of a scond (however you did a good job holding it steady at 1/30 --- often the mark of a youngish photographer!), and for brightness a lens opening of somewhere between 2 or 2.8 (whatever the W1 will open up to). You could set a higher ISO at the expense of a bit more grain, but you could get a smaller lens opening (sharper, more depth of field) and still shoot at 1/60. Unless you understand the interrelationships of all this, I would say you are trying to adjust too many variables at once!

If you choose P mode, keep ISO at AUTO, and for close-in shots shoot at a manually adjusted no slower than 1/60 (handheld tele shots at least 1/200), the camera sould adjust for other factors automatically.

Hope this is of some help.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 11:40 AM   #13

Thanks for all your time and help. The Picture was taken on Chrsitmas day last year, when I got the camera.

Here are about 70 pictures I just took today, all with automode.
http://www.m-manage.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=19

The flowwer and leaf shots were taken in macro mode and I didnt think I could get my camera to make them look that nice.

Attached Images

Old Oct 5, 2005, 11:41 AM   #14

The 2 pictures here are the ones I think came out best. The Auto Mode used a Iso of 200 in the far shots of the streets. I think 400 would have been better.

Also how can I set the shutter speed, It seems when I use the "M" Mode my camera takes the pictures instantly, thogh when I use the "P" Mode, the camera comes up with a processing screen followed by a processing screen then it takes the picture. M and Auto modes do not do this.

But the "M" mode seems to take much darker pictures. Pictures indors are impossible without a flash, which ruins the pictures in macro mode.
Attached Images

Old Oct 5, 2005, 2:08 PM   #15

Looking GOOD!

The one of the dark stop sign (page 5, last image). What is happening there is "backlighting", the bright background is "fooling" the camera and the sign is, therefore, dark. This is the kind of shot if you put your flash into "on", the flash would expose the stop sign and the rest of the photo would be properly lit from the natural light. It is times like this that you need to use the other settings.

Page 51 through 57 of the W1 operating instructions ( http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-...s.pl?mdl=DSCW1 ) will tell you how to set shutter speed, as well as use EV, etc. I suggest taking a a trial shot of anything in auto mode. Then set your EV + 1, shoot, then +2, shoot, then do the same for -1 and -2. Examine your shots. You will notice you can control the brightness even in Auto mode.

Macro with built-in flash can be difficult unless you can attach an off-camera flash, which I believe the W1 canNOT. Best bet here is to use bright, difusedlighting or experiment with a flash-triggered second flash that is bounced. With ingenuity, you could get some good shots. If possible, shoot your macros outdoors in bright sunlight or for things like knives, etc., build a diffuser tent and light with bright lights.Use thespot metering setting.

That's why the DSC-F828 has become my ever-ready-at-an-instant-and-always-with-meshooter ... I can do everything full auto, or set anything and everything, or use on or off camera flash, etc. The best of both consumer and professional realms --- hence "prosumer". Largish, but compact for the features. Nonetheless, the Canon 20D dSLR is not usually too far out of reach when I need professional features!

Hope this helps.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote