Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 3, 2003, 4:57 PM   #1

Default Sony DSC 717 Purchase Q's

Hi

OK, I have been comparing cameras and researching my needs for several months now and am on the verge of placing an order with B&H for a Sony DSC 717 plus accessories.

Anybody want to encourage or discourage my decision, I sure would be interested in any last minute suggestions.

Thanks in advance

RJ
RJ Schuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2003, 5:56 PM   #2

tell us why you picked the 717 and maybe we will have a better understanding of your neads :lol:
mattjac33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 1:29 AM   #3

I made large survey with different digicams before I bought my 717's. First I had thoughts to buy Olympus, because have used film SRLs like OM-3 and OM-40 for a long time and like the quality. I forget Olympus after looked results of tests (pic quality). Last there were Sony 717 and Nikon 5700. Battery and bad low lite functions of Nikon made my decission. And when I heard about new Memory Stick Pro's (up to 1 Mb) I was even more sure.

Anyhow also 128 Mb sticks took around 60 best quality jpg pics. In mostly cases thats enough and you can always buy spare ones like I did. Waiting for bigger ones for tiff pics.

Sony HVL-F1000 flash is also nice. Works just like internal flash, but
have more power. But remember: don't put camera's hot shoe on. I also tried my other third part external flashes and those works also nicely, but have to use manual settings in my 717's for best results. Flashes make nice looking pics. More natural than with film SRL's.

High Grade Conversion lenses (VCL-HGD1758 and VCL-HGD0758) make nice pictures but are quite costly and heavy. If you have used SRL's, the size and weight ain't big matter.

Remote control RM-DR1 is very helpfull when take macros with the
tripod. It have also handy zoom switch.

HQ-quality mpg-video was nice suprise. You can record around 5 min video to 128 mb Memory Stick. Quality of the recording ain't like normal video cams but still enough good to watch them in TV! Just connect your 717 to TV with video cable. In webpages video clips are excelent. Look http://www.m-team.fi/images/maali.mpg (note! 6,5 Mb)

When I connect 717 to my mac, it's like a extra hard disc. You can copy pics easily to internal hard disc of your PC or burn pics to CD.

Problems

I have had sometimes vibrations on LCD when look menus.

Tele Conversion lens make round black vignette when zoom to wide. When zoom to tele, no vignette but nice long tele!

Conversion lenses are costly, heavy and big but make really excelent pics. So when you have Zeiss lens in your camera, don't ruin it's quality with cheap conversion lenses.

No raw (do I really need it?)
Jukina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 8:32 AM   #4

Default 717

Mattjac33

I am just a hobbist and admited geek. I have an old diital camera (Epson) that came with a computer purchase about 7 years ago. That should give you an idea of how lousy the pics are. I want to take family portraits, scenery, wildlife shots and then manipulate the images via computer. I realize that for my level of experience, this camera far outstrips my point and shot skills, but I want that to change.

Junkina

Thanks for the info. I am not sure what you are talking about regarding the hotshoe.
My plan is to get the HVL1000 flash, and extra battery and free standing charger. Also the VCT-D680RM Tripod.

Cheers

RJ
RJ Schuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 10:48 AM   #5

Default Re: 717

[quote="RJ
Thanks for the info. I am not sure what you are talking about regarding the hotshoe.

RJ[/quote]

If you use external flash other than Sony you should put Hot Shoe setting "on". When using Sony flash, it should put "off", because flash use acc cable. I missed that first (who need manuals!? ).
Jukina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 1:28 AM   #6

I just bought one from B&H and I love it. I looked high and low for the best 5 meg and this is it . I have had it for a couple of weeks now and I've taken 650 pics so far.

What convinced me:
The reviews here and at other sites.

5 Meg

Great Lense . Some other 5 megs go to 7x but none were rated as good.

Seeing pics taken with the 717 on other sites and user reactions.

Shutter speed and more....

I love it. Check out http://www.tomofarrell.com for some samples.
All the motocross pics were taken with an Olympus c-2020 but the nature shots are all Sony!

Tom
tom_myo is offline   Reply With Quote