Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 11, 2005, 9:02 PM   #1

Whenevery i take pictures of moving objects using SONY DSC-P10 i am getting very blurred image...I am very dissapoined with SonY digital camera performance.

Also whenever i take pictures of my baby activities i never get a good picutre either my baby hand or leg will be blurred image.i have taken so much photos so far i haven't got any single good image while taking moving objects..But i tried canon or olympus it is doing good moving objects . Why sony digital camera has this problem??will sony fix this issue..

I paid so much for this sony digitalcamera 2 years before and very dissapointed for the money i paid.

Can some one tell me am i missing somethign in the settings? I always use auto mode for taking photos of my baby.

I would highly appriciate for your help.

Thanks

bali..
bali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2005, 3:15 AM   #2

Hi,

I use to own a DSC P8, a 3.2 MP version of your camera, and never had a problem with it.

There are plenty people on this forum who have a far superior understanding of digital photography than me, however judging by what you are saying the problem you are experiencing is either:

- Camera shake. Try a tripod or rest the camera on a static surface for your indoor shots.

- Slow shutter speed in auto mode. This is because Sony cameras default to a slow shutter speed when the flash is in operation. Try the manual settings (see your instruction manual).

Regards

PS Here is a shot I took last year at Gibralta. I think the P8 is a good cam actually.
Attached Images

v8griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 7:23 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply..I read the manual but i dont see anywhere about the increasing the shutter speed? Could you tell me how to increase the shutter speed? I only see the Scenic mode for sports which has faster shutter speed. but when i turned on it is full of black..i think scenic sports mode is good far outdoor only..

I always use tripod to take my baby pictures.
bali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 7:41 PM   #4
Administrator

You may want to post an example so members can see what is going wrong.

Is the baby sleeping or very still when you take the photo (the tripod won't help with motion blur from subject movement)?

Have you tried using the self timer to make sure you're not causing camera shake from pressing the shutter button?

Are you using a flash?

If you're not using a flash and your subject is not stationary, the best way to get faster shutter speeds would be to increase your ISO speed (and stay on the wide end of your zoom). If you are using the flash, then you may not need faster shutter speeds, depending on the conditons and settings.

If memory serves, this model bumps up the ISO speed to around ISO 160 with Auto (I had one of these DSC-P10 camerasfor a couple of weeksat around the first of July 2003). So, if you're not using a flash, you can get faster shutter speeds with ISO 400. But, that will add noise to the images (and it can get a bit nasty). But, there are some tools you can use to reduce it later. For example, Neat Image or Noiseware (and they both have free versions of their products for personal use that work well -- the free ones are just missing some of the features of their other versions).

Make sure you're not trying to use much in the way of optical zoom either (the more you use, the less light reaches the sensor, and the slower the shutter speeds needed for proper exposure). It's best to stay on the wide end of the lens in low light.

I'd post a sample of a problem image so that members can see what you're referring to and offer some suggestions.

If you don't have an easy way to downsize your images, download irfanview from http://www.irfanview.com

You can resize one to around 640x480 under the Image, Resize/Resample Menu choice for posting here. Then, just save it under a new filename using the File, Save As menu choice.

You'll see a browse button for attaching the image when you're typing a post here (under the entry screen).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 7:41 PM   #5

If you do a search on the word 'blurry' for this entire site you will find over 1500 postings for every brand of camera where users are complaining about blurry pictures.

This is not a Sony issue.

Interior shots that show a lot of motion blur are the result of slow shutter speeds. Slow shutter speeds are the result of low light levels.

The solution is to add more light; NOT to use zoom indoors (because it magnifies camera shake) and to brace the camera against something if you have to.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 10:37 PM   #6

If your camera is anything like mine

turn the scene selection dial to "M"
Then press the "Action" button, should be in the centre of the direction keys and this should highlight the "F stop" and "Shutter speed"
The number you wil see wil be the inverse. 10 = 1/10 etc. Set this number to a higher setting maybe 100, 200 etc, The higher numbers will eliminate blurr as the shutter is moving faster. Also If u decrease (I think) f stop this should open the ap much more allowing more light into the camera to counteract the reduced light from the faster shutter
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 5:46 AM   #7
Administrator

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
If your camera is anything like mine

turn the scene selection dial to "M"
Then press the "Action" button, should be in the centre of the direction keys and this should highlight the "F stop" and "Shutter speed"
The number you wil see wil be the inverse. 10 = 1/10 etc. Set this number to a higher setting maybe 100, 200 etc, The higher numbers will eliminate blurr as the shutter is moving faster. Also If u decrease (I think) f stop this should open the ap much more allowing more light into the camera to counteract the reduced light from the faster shutter

The P10 didn't get manual exposure. But, it wouldn't make any difference anyway.

In low light indoors without a flash, the camera's autoexposure will already be selecting the largest aperture (smallest f/stop) available for the focal length used (f/2.8 at the wide angle position where the lens is brightest, dropping off to f/5.2 at the longest zoom position since less light gets through there); with the appropriate shutter speed to insure proper exposure for the conditions.

So, if you tried to use faster shutter speeds (for example, trying to set the shutter speed to 1/100 or 1/200 second in lower light) than the camera would choose, you'd end up with underexposed images.

To get faster shutter speeds without using a flash, you'd need to increase ISO speeds (each time you double the ISO speed, the camera's autoexposure would use shutter speeds twice as fast for the same lighting indoors).

To get a better idea of how exposure works, see this handy online calculator (note that film speed is the same as ISO speed). Again, you have a largest available aperture of f/2.8 with this model (only available at the widest zoom setting):

http://www.robert-barrett.com/photo/...alculator.html

Indoors without a flash is very tough on a camera. The camera must keep the shutter open long enough for proper exposure (or you'll get dark photos).

The shutter speeds you'll need for proper exposuredepends on the lighting available, the aperture setting, and the ISO speed.

Most reasonably well lit home interiors have a EV (Exposure Value) of around 5 (or 6 at best) at night. In daylight, if you have lots of light coming in through windows, you may have a little better lighting (but it will still be much dimmer than you think).

That means at ISO 200, you'll need shutter speeds of around 1/8 to 1/15 second in many home interiors (with lights on)at f/2.8 (largest available aperture on a model like this at it's wide angle lens position). That's too slow to stop action unless the subject is very still (and you'll want to use a monopod or tripod unless you can brace yourself and squeeze the shutter button very smoothly to keep from jerking the camera).

If light is lower (darker room with subdued lighting), you'll have even more problems. For example, I was in a dimly lit restaurant earlier this week where some of my images needed exposures as long as 1/10 second at ISO 1600, shooting with a 28mm f/2 with the aperture wide openat f/2. ;-)

There are equipment limitations.The human eye adjusts well to low light (and indoors is low light to a camera, requiring larger apertures, higher ISO speeds and/or slower shutter speeds for proper exposure).

Of course, the easy way around the problem is to use a flash (and with a moving subject, sometimes you have to if you don't want motion blur).

If the original poster can give us an example of a problem image, we can tell what shutter speeds the camera was using for the lighting and make some suggestions based on what the camera's limitations would be in the lighting he was shooting in.

AsMeryl already mentioned, this is not a Sony problem. It'sa limitation of most compact digital cameras, since most won't allow ISO speeds above 400 and even ISO 400 can be noisy (but sometimes a bit of noise is preferrable to motion blur).

Very little time goes by that I don't see this exact same issue from owners of a variety of digital cameras (wondering why their photos come out blurry if they try to shoot without a flash indoors).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote