Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 6, 2003, 12:19 PM   #1

Default infrared assist DSC 717

Hi all,

I own a 505V and plan to buy the 717.
Can an owner of the 717 inform me about the behaviour of the infrared focus assist when using filters or conversion lenses.
Thanks,

Jago.
Jago is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2003, 2:40 PM   #2

I have a Sony 707. The 707/717 both have a red laser hologram for focusing and a near IR Illuminator. The LEDís for these are at the front of the Lens, any filter placed in front of them will reduce their effective power by some amount. Given the type of filter it may be very little (e.g. UV/skylight) or a lot. Conversion lenses. The 717 manual does have a note the You can not use nightframing with conversion lens set to on. The manual does not talk about nightspot mode and conversion lens set to on. I would believe that any conversion lens would greatly reduce the power of the IR Illuminator and would not use it.
rlpumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2003, 10:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpumphrey
I have a Sony 707. The 707/717 both have a red laser hologram for focusing and a near IR Illuminator. The LEDís for these are at the front of the Lens, any filter placed in front of them will reduce their effective power by some amount. Given the type of filter it may be very little (e.g. UV/skylight) or a lot. Conversion lenses. The 717 manual does have a note the You can not use nightframing with conversion lens set to on. The manual does not talk about nightspot mode and conversion lens set to on. I would believe that any conversion lens would greatly reduce the power of the IR Illuminator and would not use it.
Thanks,
I expected something like this!
It's a pity because using a wide angle is just what one needs for shooting in close quarters and dim lighting like during birthday parties.

Jago.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 9:20 AM   #4

I'm not sure where I read it but, I did read that one photographer uses those Dr. Scholls corn pads, they're shaped like a doughnut, and puts them so that they surround the emmiters before he uses any filters or lens's so as to eliminate the glare back.
magicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2003, 3:45 AM   #5

You must be joking!! hahaha!!
Old Feb 14, 2003, 8:43 AM   #6

Serious! I read that somewhere on a photographer's web site. I've got a F-717 also and I thought that it sounded rather strange also. Can't say as I've tried it either!
magicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 3:25 PM   #7

Oh sorry!!
I really thought you was putting me on!
But then why didn't you try it out?
If it works it would be a sensation!
Thanks anyway for the tip.
I will be getting the 717 shortly, Just waiting for the price to drop some more. In Holland it's still $ 1100.