Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:43 PM   #1

This Sony camera has been the best one I've owned yet. Great pixs, lots of features.

"Until today!" It freezes up on me anytime I try taking a photo. The Green AE lock spot just blinks and nothing happens. FREEZES up! To shutthe cameraoff, I have to take the battery out. When I turn it back on, I can enter the menu, use the zoom etc, but the minute I push the shutter button down, it freezes up again, blinking green (dot) light.

Is there anything I can do? Or do I have to send this into Sony and not have a camera for the upcoming holidays:angry:
jack52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2005, 5:24 PM   #2

Anyone?
Old Nov 17, 2005, 6:27 PM   #3

If you haven't already, try resetting the camera if it has a reset button (usually in the battery compartment). If not, leave the battery out and camera disconnected for a few minutes and see if that works.

I do not have the H1, but three ofmy Sony digicams have the reset in the battery compartment (and one -the dsc s70- I cannot remember if it does or not). I do know I, or my students,havehad to use reset or battery removal a few times to regain control. If that does not work, then you probably need to have it repaired.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 6:35 PM   #4

hgernhardtjr wrote:
Quote:
If you haven't already, try resetting the camera if it has a reset button (usually in the battery compartment). If not, leave the battery out and camera disconnected for a few minutes and see if that works.

I do not have the H1, but three ofmy Sony digicams have the reset in the battery compartment (and one -the dsc s70- I cannot remember if it does or not). I do know I, or my students,havehad to use reset or battery removal a few times to regain control. If that does not work, then you probably need to have it repaired.
Thank you... I will try that.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 6:53 PM   #5

Also ... I just checked your manual on-line ... don't forget to "initialize" all the settings back to factory re directions on page 59 after resetting the camera (apparently by the battery removal method).
Old Nov 17, 2005, 7:24 PM   #6

hgernhardtjr wrote:
Quote:
Also ... I just checked your manual on-line ... don't forget to "initialize" all the settings back to factory re directions on page 59 after resetting the camera (apparently by the battery removal method).
Yep, no reset in battery compartment. I left the battery out one hour, then went into setup and did per manual page 59 said to do and same problem. Freezes once I push the shutter button. Green flashing dot. Have to take out battery just to shut it off too.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 7:45 PM   #7

Rotten luck... I guess it will have to go back to Sony. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 8:29 PM   #8

One other idea ... do you have another memory stick? That blinking light sounds suspiciously like the camera is trying to write the photo, but can't.You couldtry substituting a differentformatted stick and see if that works ... that way you could verify it is the camera and not just a memory stick gone bad. Otherwise ... the repair shop ...
Old Nov 18, 2005, 5:04 AM   #9

Try formatting the memory.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:32 PM   #10

Well, I had to send this camera in to be fixed. It ended up being a bad system board. They replaced it and sent it back to me free of charge. Two weeks downtime including shipping time. Not bad service at all.