Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 18, 2005, 6:02 PM   #1

I'm in the process of trying to replace an old (and much used) Sony F717. I've been looking at the R1 as a possibility, but there's one thing that I don't uderstand. I looked at Sony Style to see what accessories there are, since I'd probably want both a close-up and telephoto converter (and there were ones listed that are made for the R1). Do these converters just screw onto the end of the lens like a filter would? I had noticed that there was also an adaptor listed and I wondered if you needed that to hold these converters. If I have to have the adaptor I'll most likely rule this camera out (too much equipment to lug around, something I'm trying to avoid).

A local camera shop has a F828 open box for $595 - is that worth it? I have seen the F828 still on Amazon for over $700.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2005, 7:23 PM   #2

Yes you will likely need the adapter. These adapters are small and light and very easy to carry...I don't think that it will add significantly to your load.

The 828 is a decent camera but has some pretty serious limitiations..in a lot of ways your 717 is nearly as good as the 828. The only area it beats the R1 is in zoom range. The low light performance and ISO flexibility the R1 offers beats the 828 hands down.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 12:14 AM   #3

Thanks for the information. My F717 has developed an intermittent problem with the card writer/reader. It occasionally can't read the card (I've switched cards and it still won't read it). If I take the card out and put it back in several times I can usually get it working again. It doesn't happen all the time but it seems to be getting worse, so I'm now looking for a replacement. I've loved it, which is why I was considering picking up the F828, but I don't think buying a discontinued camera for $600 is a good deal (if it were $400, I'd buy it).

I sure wish the R1 had been out for a while, and that Sony had come out with a camerausing the same sensor but with a lens that could go out to 200 mm (equivalent). At lunch I figured out how much an R1 with both converters etc. and a Fuji S9000 (with batteries and extra cards), and the Fuji wouldn't be much more than half what I would spend on the R1. Add in the fact that the Fuji is lighter than the R1 (I hike so weight is very important), and I think I'll get the Fuji. In a couple of years perhaps Sony will come out with the camera I'd really like.

Does that make sense?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote