Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 19, 2005, 1:12 AM   #1

Today I picked up the new Sony DSC-N1. I handled it in the store. I have up to a week to use it and return it (with receipt, packaging, and pristine condition) and get my money back. I have been torn between the N1 and the P200.

My question? Can you suggest some tests to see if this is the camera for me?

Normally I do point and shoot. I do like them to be in focus and with enough lighting that the subject can be seen. I've not had a digital with some manual controls, so that will be something new to play with. Twenty some years ago I did use an SLR that was all manual, so it isn't completely foreign.

I was thinking of going back and buying the P200 too. Then testing them side by side, and returning the one I don't want. However, haven't decided yet if it is ethical.

Any suggestion for tests? If you are considering one of these cameras, what would you like to know about them?

Thanks,

-Pam
psgraham29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2005, 1:30 AM   #2

I would like to know three things. Can you take a picture of a green (such as a tree)or red object against a blue sky and look for purple fringe on the pictures. Second, can you take a picture of power lines or writing and compare clarity. Third can you shoot some low light shots. I am curious about focus speed and clarity both on the low light shots.

What store lets you return the camera after a week?

jack ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 1:45 AM   #3

I'll give it a try.

Tall's camera in Seattle has a 7 day return policy for money back. Up to 15 days it can be exchanged.

-Pam

Old Nov 28, 2005, 6:26 PM   #4

Big difference in price on the N1 and P200!? N1 seems like more camera but for the money, I think the p200 is the way to go - I'm considering that one over the SD550. Let us know how you make out!

Mark
Viffer 750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 7:36 PM   #5

I kept the P200 and returned the N1. It was cheaper and I got more in focus pictures. As a default it appears the P200 has a deeper depth of field for focusing.

I wrote this review on another website:

The N1 goes back to the store today, I'm keeping the P200.

Reasons?

- The N1 cost me $130 more than the P200. If I had looked for sales on the internet, the price difference would have been even bigger. (Point P200)

- The N1 has a great photo viewer screen and you can carry your slideshows with you to see. You can even add music. With the 3 inch LCD, they look nice. However, I already carry a big screen that can show slideshows with music (Palm T3 PDA). So don't need it. (Point N1)

- The N1 has a paint mode. I never tried it. Might be cool. I don't want to paint in the camera. I can do it on my computer. (No Points)

- The N1 hooks up easily to a television (I really like the cords setup) to show your slideshow. The P200 doesn't. (Point N1)

- The N1 comes with a little stylus to attach to the strap, I never used it. Just used my finger on the touch screen. (No Points)

- The LCD screen is big and was viewable in any light, including bright sunlight, that I used it in. (Point N1)

- The colors for the N1 were very vivid. Maybe even brighter than real life. An example is the berries.
http://Sun-Smith.smugmug.com/photos/45344927-L.jpg The P200 picture, while not as bright, came closer to the real berries. http://Sun-Smith.smugmug.com/photos/45352111-L.jpg (Point P200)

- Without doing anything fancy, the P200 focused properly more often than the N1. I didn't see an improvement by using the spot focus where I could touch the screen to select the focus point (may have been operator error). (Lots and Lots of Points P200, the deal maker)

- The N1 took beautiful night shots. So did the P200. (No Points)

- I like the way the P200 feels in my hand better. I could tell the top/bottom and front/back without looking as I pulled it out of my purse. With the rectangular shape of the N1, I had to look every time. I very much like the indentation on the top of the P200 that lets me get a very good grip on the camera. (Point P200)

- While one handed shots aren't easy with either camera, it felt better using the P200. (No Points)

- I didn't see the difference between the 7 (P200) and 8 (N1) megapixels. I would need to blow the pictures up bigger - and I don't need them that big. (No Points)

Since my skill level is "advanced beginner" the P200 meets my needs better. The N1 would be a better starting out camera, or maybe an advanced camera for somebody who was willing to spend more time learning all of the menus and functions in detail. Since I only had a week to play with it, and not a lot of free time to play, the P200 fits me better.

If you want to see my picture taking for yourself, go to:
http://sun-smith.smugmug.com/

Note: I was asked to shoot in potrait mode with both cameras. While I took pictures of people, there is no regular potrait mode for the N1. There is a twilight potrait mode. Maybe it is the same? Camera has to be back by 5 p.m. today or it is mine forever, so I won't get a chance to find out.

Old Nov 29, 2005, 12:25 PM   #6

Great! Thanks!

Did you consider any other brands in your research? I've been all over the place. I was steering away from the Sony's as they use Sticks. But I realized my 256MB SD card would probably need to be upgraded to 512 or a 1GB w/ a 7MP.

A friend has the old model and loves it and he pd ^$500. The p200 can be had for $330.
Viffer 750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:52 PM   #7

I looked at the Canon SD550 and the Canon PowerShot S80. The S80 had great reviews, but was physically a bigger camera than I wanted to carry.

I handled a lot of cameras in the stores before deciding that it was one of the two Sony's, the P200 or the N1.

-Pam
Old Dec 15, 2005, 5:21 AM   #8

was there a problem of red eye in the pictures that u clicked through Sony N1?
raj777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:06 PM   #9

I didn't notice a red-eye problem with the N1.

-Pam