Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:44 AM   #11

Would you be happier if, instead of a hand, it flashed "Slow Shutter speed!"? All it means is a reminder to take steps to make sure the camera is steady. If you mount the camera on a tripod AND if shutter speed is still slow, you WILL see the 'shaky hand' warning but you can ignore it because you have steadied the camera. You have responded to the warning.

The camera doesn't know that you have mounted the camera on a tripod, it only knows that the shutter speed is too slow to handhold the shot but...you are NOT handholding the shot so it doesn't matter.

If you don't have a tripod, try bracing the camera against a wall or a post or on a table. I usually carry a little pocket tripod that I can use in low light situations.

I took this shot of the moon over an oil refinery and, yes, I got the shaky hand warning and, yes, I used my pocket tripod and set it on the roof of my car. In spite of the shaky hand and a long shutter speed, the shot isn't blurred because I took the necessary steps.

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:29 AM   #12

Don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I just picked this up
from http://www.dpreview.com/

Tuesday, 20 December 2005 Sony cameras fail quality test in China Sony China Ltd has suspended sales of several compact cameras after they failed quality tests carried out by China's National Camera Quality Supervision and Inspection Center, according to a report by Interfax China. Nine Sony cameras were selected for inspection and six failed. The affected cameras are the DSC-H1, DSC-L1, DSC-P200, DSC-W7, DSC-W5 and DSC-S90. Chinese consumers who purchased these cameras can return them to Sony for a refund. There were also 13 cameras from other manufacturers that failed quality tests. (17:35 GMT):sad:
Cuzin Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:17 AM   #13

No, this has nothing to do with this question.It is just an example of how SLOW the Chinese government is to act on old news.

Remember when there was that big noise about cameras with defective CCDs that went bad in hot, humid weather? This is the same issue and the same list of cameras.

Also, there were more manufacturers than Sony implicated in the Chinese report...just as we saw several months ago.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 5:25 AM   #14

jvan wrote:
Quote:
I am thinking about purchasing the H1, but while in the store looking at it, I got that shaking hand on almost all pictures I was taking. Can you just turn that shaking handÂ*off?! And when that does come on does that always mean your picture willÂ*be blurred?
Yes, your picture will be blurred!

- See this Sample WITHOUT Super SteadyShot:

- And now see the same Picture With Super SteadyShot:
valterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 4:53 AM   #15

Im having the same trouble as you samone!!

All I wanted to do last night was take some snaps of the family indoors.

I didnt want the flash on.

In order to get rid of the shaking hand iconI had to set theshutter speedtosuch an extreme that that I couldnt see a thing on the monitor.

In that situation what is one to do? as I havenever had to worry about such things on other cameras.

I cant believe I would need a tripod every time I wana take a few snaps from now on..... and is it really true thatall shots with the shaking hand will be blured?? in which case im truly stuffed :sad:
5hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 12:11 AM   #16

I don't know much about taking pictures, but I do know that most of the time, my pictures are crisp and clear when the hand comes up. I was taking pics outdoors and did EVERYTHING I could to steady the camera. I always got the hand. Finally I said "Screw it" and started ignoring the hand.

Most of my pics are great. I shoot in P mode. That's all I know.

Bill
mr_goodwrench_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 3:58 AM   #17

Hi mr_goodwrench_06

I took some shots over the weekend, and like you, the hand was always there.

I decided like yourself to ignore the hand, both during the outdoor shoot, and indoors inthenight.

I am pleased to say my photos came out nice andsharp

As for the hand :blah:

Old Jan 18, 2006, 9:56 PM   #18

The steady shot can only be turned off when your out of Auto.

I'm very please with steadyshot as it really works. I handheld this shot without tripod

jack52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:45 AM   #19

Nice shotjack52 (hope you rode the coaster at the top).

I always use the camera with IS turned on, and I dont use manual.

The hand lives on my screen during indoor non flash situations, but im learning to ignore it and still getting the shots I want, unless its so dark thatI cantsee theimage on the monitor, then I stick that pesky flash on.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 2:28 PM   #20

5hane wrote:
Quote:
Nice shotjack52 (hope you rode the coaster at the top).
You mean this?:?

jack52 is offline   Reply With Quote