Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 21, 2005, 3:23 PM   #1

Hi All
A week ago I bought a Sony DSC H1 camera, but I'm a bit wary about the steadyshot system, the shacking hand icon always comes on as I half press the shutter, even when the camera is on a tripod, and in a well lit room or outside on a clear day. I can turn off the steadyshot but the shacking hand icon still comes on, I have tried all the cameras setting P/S/M ect and still this shacking hand icon is on. I'm not sure if it's me or the camera. If anyone can advise I would be most grateful - Sam
samone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2005, 6:30 PM   #2

This warning will come on whenever a slower shutter speed is needed to properly expose an image that is slower than can normally be handheld.I assume this is ocurring for indoor or low light shots. You shouldn't have this problem in bright sunlight. If your shutter speed is slower than 1/15 IS probably will not help. Also, IS should be turned off whenever the camera is on a tripod. The IS system when turned on "expects" some camera shake....this will create a blurry picture on a tripod as the camera compensates for movement that is not there.

In short, there is no camera setting that can turn this warning off. When you get this warning either increase the ISO to obtain a higher shutter speed, or reduce your zoom to obtain a larger aperature to allow more light in.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 2:44 PM   #3

Hi Rjseeney

Thanks for your input. I have gone through all the ISO settings, and also the AUTO settings yet still the shaking hand comes on. I will keep playing many thanks Sam
Old Nov 24, 2005, 3:05 AM   #4

Try turning the flash on...
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 5:18 PM   #5

Hi CybershotNut

On full flash the shaking hand is not present, but on SL flash its there again, think I'll have the camera checked out, many thanks All - Sam
Old Nov 24, 2005, 11:31 PM   #6

That's the way it's supposed to work. SL is slow synchro flash, it's slows the shutter speed so you can capture dimly lit backgrounds and is meant to be used with a tripod.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 8:45 AM   #7

cybershotnut is right...:-)
airjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 8:46 AM   #8

Big Problem - The shacking hand icon always comes on as I half press the shutter, even on a clear day at daylight.

I don't want to use the Flash... because the image will be too clear!!!

Another Big Problem is some vignetting on every photos at upper left corner... well... I don't like Sony H1 anymore !!!

"You shouldn't have this problem in bright sunlight."

Yes, I have. Only on the first 2 weeks everything is OK... I don't know what's happened...
valterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 5:34 AM   #9

On my H1 I get the following results:

at no zoom (x1), manual mode, shaking hand comes on at a speed of 1/30 or slower.

at full zoom (x12), manual mode, shaking hand comes on at a speed of 1/400 or slower.

This is unaffected by whether the IS is on or off.

Try that. I expect that it behaves the same in auto mode (except that you need enough light for it to select such fast exposure).

ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 8:24 AM   #10

I am thinking about purchasing the H1, but while in the store looking at it, I got that shaking hand on almost all pictures I was taking. Can you just turn that shaking handoff?! And when that does come on does that always mean your picture willbe blurred?
jvan is offline   Reply With Quote