Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:35 AM   #1

I've had this camera several years, and it's been great..until the last several times I used it. Even on Automatic setting...the pictures are very yellow. Can't fix them in Photoshop. I'm wondering if anyone else with this camera has experienced this? Photos shown below. Any fixes, suggestions...I'm open to. Thanksgiving is almost here and I wanted to take a lot of pictures. Thanks. -D

dmargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:28 PM   #2

It appears you are missing a color channel – probably blue. It is more than white balance. You might try removing the battery for a day. Maybe something will reset. You might also look in your manual to see if there isn't a reset in the menu but I doubt that will work. My best guess is that if removing the battery doesn't help you might need a new camera.

This is the best I could do in Photoshop. Not nearly good enough IMO.

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:37 PM   #3

Thanks. I'll take your suggestions and see if one works. If not, the camera is only a few years old...does anyone know Sony's warranty/return policy?
Old Nov 24, 2005, 3:04 AM   #4

Try pressing the reset button in the battery compartment. It looks as the camera is set to flash white balance without the flash firing or the CCD is bad.

Is the flash working? If the flash failed, you can still get correct colored pictures by manually turning the flash off, this will set the white balance to auto because even in auto white balance setting, the camera forces flash white balance when the flash is activated.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 12:50 PM   #5

Yes, the flash still works. I'll try your suggestion of turning flash off. I have not taken the suggestion of leaving the batteries out of it for a day...does that really do anything? I've taken pictures in automatic, taken them in different manual modes. Still having problems. It just stinks that this happens right at Thanksgiving when I wanted to take a bunch of family pictures.

I called Sony and they had me do several resets. Still photos are too dark and yellow, or too bright and white-ish. They said $171.00 to repair the camera. I don't think so, I bought (almost 2 yrs ago) for I think either $300 or $400 bucks. Probably won't get it fixed, once I determine I'm done with it....I'll by a cheap, maybe used Sony so I can still make use of my 1 GB of memory sticks. Was leaning towards the Sony DSC-H1, but decided on theCanon PowerShot S2 after playing around with both at Best Buy...I know I'll need different memory cards, batteries etc, but I really want a longshot camera, and do not want a DSLR, I don't want to schlep around multiple lenses and all of that crap. The Canon was much faster focusing, zooming etc...and that is important to me. Especially when photographing my kids playing soccer and stuff.

But, I'm hoping I can save my Sony...it's been a great lil camera for me, been to Hawaii, Alaska, and got rave reviews of my photos. Would the DSC-P10 batteries work in a DSC-T1?
Old Nov 24, 2005, 1:15 PM   #6

The T1 has a completely different battery. Look at the flash range on the T1 before considering it. The flash is pitifully weak.

I don't think you have a white balance problem. My Power Retouche WB control does a good job with most WB problems and it wouldn't do anything for your photos.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:17 PM   #7

Dont buy a T1, poor picture quality in my opinion!! You wont be happy going from P10 to T1. You can get a P100 for about $150.

Think your CCD might be bad, Sony will repair it for free if it is even though your camera is 2yrs old. You can send it in (Laredo TX only, never anywhere else) and if its the CCD youre set even if the online form says its $171. If its not the CCD they will tell you whats wrong and send it back for free.

CSN could hook you up with a fix, or I can get you the part you need if its not the CCD. Just let eiter of us know.
darntoothysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:27 PM   #8

Thanks. Good to know about P100 etc. I'm still waiting for the "follow up" email to send the camera back...but if you say they'll still accept it, I'll send it in. They said it could take up to a week to receive the email which would be Friday. The form lists Laredo as the service center.