Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 3, 2005, 6:19 AM   #1

I'm looking for everyone's best guess as to where the R1's street price will settle in the next six months after the early adopters are out of the way. I'm intrigued by the camera but not to the tune of a thousand dollars.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2005, 7:22 AM   #2

I think street price will remain around $1000 for quite some time. I wouldn't expect it to drop much below $899.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 2:20 PM   #3

I agree with rjseeney ... having followed Sony photo offerings for years, unless there is a surprising quantum leap in technology that catches the market by surprise, it is unlikely you will find it from a reputable US dealer for under $899 for some time to come, with a possible **slight** drop-off at the end ofits model-life in two or so years.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 5:57 PM   #4

I would like to know the R-1's street price after Sony and Konica release their DSLR.

Also, if Sony does license the R-1's chip to others ( as they did with the F-828 chip), where would the R-1 street price settle?

One good thing: given time we will all find out.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:22 PM   #5

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
I would like to know the R-1's street price after Sony and Konica release their DSLR.

Also, if Sony does license the R-1's chip to others ( as they did with the F-828 chip), where would the R-1 street price settle?
If you look at the F828 price, you will see it hasn't dropped substantially since its introduction 2 years ago. It started at approx. 950€ (here in Europe) and now holds at approx. 800€. Even after the R1 was announced, the F828 price didn't drop. Actually, now they're being sold side by side for the SAME price. lol.

Honestly, I doubt the price will fall within the next few months. When Sony and Konica release their DSLR (or whatever it will be) I assume that thing may aim at a different audience?

cheers, nymano
nymano is offline   Reply With Quote