Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:53 AM   #1

I noticed that the polarizing filter that sony sells is a circular polarizer. My understanding is that only true slr cameras require these, so I shouldn't need one. Am I right?
dlee48162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:47 PM   #2

Require? No camera requires a polarizer, circular or otherwise, However, if you want to get great, glare-free photos under certain conditions, a polarizer is the very first filter I would invest in ... I have had and used several over the past 40+ years and always have one with me.

Nonetheless, cameras with certain kinds of reflex mirrors (some dSLRs have semi-silvered mirrors) may require a circular polarizer for accurate metering under all conditions. Theoretically, some auto focus systems could also be impacted but in my experience this is rare (depends on the kind of AF used in the camera). So ALL digitals do NOT require a circular polarizer.

In effect, then, no partially reflecting reflex mirror, use a cheaper linear polarizer.

As an example, and based on some recent playing around withseveral digital Sony P&Sprosumer cameras in the family, I found my standard polarizer works well on all of them, including mySony F828... after buying a new circular one the same day I purchased the camera on the salesperson's strong suggestion. Oh well, now I know better. Hope this helps.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 8:27 AM   #3

Thank you, that was what I had suspected. Of course I didn't mean to imply that a polarizer is requred to use the camera, but sony and many dealers offer confusing information about which type of filter will work with this camera.
dlee48162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:25 AM   #4

Nor was I trying to be smart, either ... its just that recently I have had several students (it being Christmas buying season) told asinine things and "requirements" to get with their digital camera purchases! Earlier in the day I answered your post, one had been told they had to buy a UV filter or void their warranty ... pure bovine scatology! Now is the time to be well educated/prepared when dealing with the know-it-all Xmas sales "associate"!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote