Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 8, 2005, 3:17 PM   #1

Would anyone be able to help me with this problem:-

Had the camera and card three months tops. Used it propery in NYC two weeks ago
and got some superb shots.

Get home and transfer all the pictures off the card fine and after this sat using the camera to do some crop shots. This turned out to be a bad idea I think as while I was doing this the camera gave a format error and I could no longer get at the pictures as just keeps giving the error (C:13:01)

I have tried formatting the card in the camera and it just gives format error messages back and wont format it.

I also tried reading the card using the PC but the PC wont recognise the card is there.

Have also today got a card reader. The PC picks up the card but says it needs formatting. I have tried (and dont know whether wa sa good idea) to format it using the PC, but this hasnt helped either. camera still gives same error and still wont format it.

Can anyone offer any advice from here about how i can get this card formatted?

Are there any PC utilities knocking about to fomrat these cards when the camera wont do it? or is there a standard way of formatting it using XP? I just did a normal format. Have I ruined the card for good doing this?

Any advice wold be much appreciated. At the moment I'm feeling one proper use of the card for the cost of it isnt very good value!

Thanks
Keith

Tyranter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2005, 6:59 PM   #2

So I'm guessing you can't get to the format menu in the camera with that memory stick in it? When you try formatting it with the card reader in windows, does it complete a format? If it completes a format, make sure you format if with the FAT file system, not FAT32 or NTFS.

Is it a SanDisk, Lexar or Sony card? I once had a SanDisk stick that kept giving me a memory stick error and no formatting or utility would repair it. I sent it back to SanDisk and they replaced it, no questions asked.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:11 PM   #3
SLD

I had this happen last Saturday. I waqs taking snapshots at a Christmas parade and had a memory stick error pop up. I swaped memory sticks and the camera work OK. The stick giving the error was a Sony 256MB Memory Stico Pro. Later I could not read the stick in the camera or PC. I did not try to format it them as I wanted to try and save the data on the stick. I cleaned the connector and the PC was able to read all but three of the files. I returned it to the camera and got the error again. Could not format it in the camera as the error blocked access tothe format function. I recleaned the connector and formated the stick in the PC and it now seems to be working OK in the PC and camera. I wonder if the cold temps at the parade (low 40's) caused a small amount of condensation to form on the connector. I did open the compartment a couple of times to change batteries. I marked this memory stick and will keep an eye on it for a while and see if it keeps working.
SLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 11:16 AM   #4
SLD

Well the memory stick in question died again today. Same as before with C:13:01. I went to the Sony web site and it looks like they will exchange it. Now I need to find the receipt.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:01 PM   #5

Hi, been away for a while so apologies! Its a Sony card. Wont complete a format in XP or using Sonys formatting tool for memory sticks.

Anyone have any clues on where / to who to contact in Uk for Sony to get it replaced at all?

Thanks

Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:02 PM   #6

Hi SLD, did you have any joy with Sony and your card? Mine is dead and need to see if Sony will replace it.

Old Jan 4, 2006, 6:18 AM   #7
SLD

The card will not work in the camera or the memory stick slot in the computer. The Sony web site indicated they would replace the stick as it is still under warranty. I just need to find the receipt (the real trick)and sent it in.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 4:10 PM   #8

Quote:
CyberShotNut
Quote:
wrote:
Quote:

Is it a SanDisk, Lexar or Sony card? I once had a SanDisk stick that kept giving me a memory stick error and no formatting or utility would repair it. I sent it back to SanDisk and they replaced it, no questions asked.
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000080"

I just had my Sandisk 512 MB Memory Stick Pro (magicGate) card quit working and it's only six months old. Will they still fix it if I send it in? Do you have their link or address where you sent your to?

Meanwhile, I bought a Lexar Memory Stick Pro

Thanks!
jack52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:05 PM   #9

jack52 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
CyberShotNut
Quote:
wrote:
Quote:

I just had my Sandisk 512 MB Memory Stick Pro (magicGate) card quit working and it's only six months old. Will they still fix it if I send it in? Do you have their link or address where you sent your to?

Thanks!
ANYONE?:?

Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:32 PM   #10

Hello? Anybody here?:|

jack52 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
CyberShotNut
Quote:
wrote:
Quote:

Thanks!