Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:40 PM   #1

This is the second digital I have owned and I have tried a couple of others. My first digital was a Kyocera 5MP S5. I was looking for a camera the focused faster and had good low light capabilities.

The DSC-N1 has a very fast autofocus and this makes getting moving objects easy. In fact it makes getting all shots a lot easier. The autofocus is the best I have used. The low light assist lamp makes getting night shots easy and works well inside or near the subject. The DSC-N1 focuses quickly in low light.

The screen is really is easy to see in bright sun and fairly good in low light. I was sceptical about not having a viewfinder but the screen works great. The touch screen works impressively. It was easy to figure out the menu system and the touch screen works great with just a finger. I believe that a lot cameras will be going to the touch screen in the future. The touch screen makes changing settings quick and easy. The best part is that the DSC-N1 works perfectly in the auto setting.

The movie mode is easy to use and good quality. The ability to take long movies really makes this feature much more usable. I am impressed with the stability of the the photos during the movie mode. The movies play back smoothly on the 3 inch screen.

The flash is really impressive for a point and shoot camera. It will easily reach 15 feet or more. The flash gives full coverage over large groups of people. The battery life is a good as the spec's say. I have used the camera all day several times and have not came close to using up the battery. The battery stands up well to heavy flash use and the battery recovers quickly between flash shots.

The photo album is a fun feature for showing friends pictures. The 3 inch screen also helps because several people can view the screen at one time. The drawing capability is a waste of time for me but a few people may use it.

The only low point(maybe) is the thickness when you compare it to the ultra compact camera's on the market. No ultra compact can offer the pictue quality, features and 8.1 MP of the DSC-N1 at this time. The DSC-N1 fits easily in a pocket and can be carried around without catching any swithes on your clothing.

I plan on purchasing the marine pack and using this camera for scuba diving. This camera has the highest megapixals count for a compact camera with a underwater scuba case.

Sony should really have a HIT with this camera.
jack ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2005, 7:44 AM   #2
3xv

Thanks for the info.. I've been waiting for my N1 a couple of months now. Pre-ordered it from Bestbuy, but the local stores were not able to receive any, so will have to wait until they do. This should be a nice back-up camera for my Nkon D70S :|:G
3xv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 6:30 AM   #3

does it have a problem of red eye which usually occurs in low light or night pics?
raj777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:06 PM   #4

Less problem with red eye then my kyocera. The red eye reduction works good.
jack ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:55 PM   #5

FYI, I had the sony w7 and returned it b/c of red eye issues, even with red eye reduction on.
kiddk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 9:13 PM   #6

Here is my two cents on the N1:

I've owned many Sony digital cameras before and I'll have to say, this one has the most fun features yet. It has a paint setting that lets you draw on your pictures and also has a stamp feature letting you stamp paw prints, snow flakes and other fun images on your photos. The slide show is pretty cool too, it lets you add up to four (3min or less) mp3 files to play in your slide show and also has cool picture effects in the slide show. The 8 megapixel image quality is great for being able to crop pictures and still get good 8x10 prints. Battery life is excellent for having a bright 3" LCD with touchscreen.

On the downside, one very important feature this camera is missing is a manual white balance option, pictures taken indoors without a flash come out yellowish/orange, the incandescent white balance works better than the auto white balance for this, but it's still not the true colors. The red-eye is pretty bad because the flash is very close to the lens. Also, the images start to get very noisy/grainy at ISO 400 and above. When saving an image after you use the paint or stamp feature, it only saves it as a .3 megapixel 640x480 VGA image which is only good for viewing on the camera or on a computer.
Attached Images

CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 1:11 AM   #7

Hi.
Does the Red eye reduction mode in Sony N1 helps in eliminating the problem of red eyes in night shots ?

Sony provides a software for viewing and editing photos on the computer. This software also has a red eye fix tool. Does it work?
Old Feb 6, 2006, 7:54 AM   #8

Hi

Does the Sony N1 have pre-flash on enabling the red eye reduction mode?

thanks
Raj
Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:32 PM   #9

Wondering on the flash on this camera, is there a "double" flash for red eye, and can this feature (if it has it) be disabled? I can remove red eye, much easer than the closed eye syndrome that happens with a double flash. Anyone that owns one, could you enlighten me?

Thanks
wingnutdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:06 PM   #10

Yes raj, it preflashes.

Dave, it has 3 momental preflashes- for red eye reduction. Should leave the subject 2 chances to recover from blinks.
qball is offline   Reply With Quote