Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 7, 2006, 3:06 PM   #1

A little over 2 years ago, my daughter bought a Sony Mavica CD350. She's been using it off and on, but complained she couldn't figure out most of what it does, the settings, etc. Recently, she started having problems with the mini CDs, losing some pictures on them (not being able to take them off). The last one she took, the first 20 pictures she took are on the CD, but the rest she took after aren't. I took the CD and checked it with data recovery programs, and it looks like the more recentl pictures aren'ton it. Thoughshe said she had played them back in the camera and saw them on it. She seems to understand about closing the disc and finalizing, etc.This is just something happening recently, and maybe it's thedisk she is using. She said she never had the problem when she used Sony mini cds, but can't find them anymore.

The ones she has now that aren't working (or not working right) are Memorex Cool Pocket CD-R

She put another CD in and it kept saying "disc error". She didn't want to use it (if she could get it to work) only to find out the pictures are gone or aren't there, after.

I suggested she give the camera to me to play around with. (I gave her an older easy to use Epson I had, that uses a flash card)

I know nothing about using mini CDs in a camera. I always thought the Mavica was THE BEST (or one of them) in that price range. I've been asking on boards and find others have problems with the CDs, too.

I've been looking online and reading about CD-R and CD-RW and initializing, etc. Thought that might be it, but my daughter said she has used CD-RW too (over the past 2 years) and understands about initializing and closing out (which, I think you have to do to take the CD out? She said she had to with the CD that didn't have all the pictures on it). I don't understand this, but she's said before she's had to close out the CD, which (I think) then means it can be opened on a computer CD ROM.

What I'd like to know is, what is a good mini CD to buy for this and if it's Sony, where do I find them? I like the idea of the CD-RW ones that can be used over, seems like this is what anyone would use. I'm familiar with using a flash/memory card in a camera, so this seems the most like it.

Maybe it's something else, like something not working correctly or needing cleaning?

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, help about this?

Thanks,

Carrie
starchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2006, 1:21 PM   #2

I have had the same problems
can't figure out what is going on.....I bought the cd r from memorex and riteck cwrd's
but i am still getting error's on the files for 50% of them....

i have stopped letting the program stop recording for me, i only put 2 files on a cd
this is for the movie recording and still didn't fix the issue
my only last solution would be to try the mavica cd's, but can't find them....
smiles0805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 2:18 PM   #3

I found the Sony CDs online there were some on ebay auctions, but I found them elsewherehttp://www.cybergiftcenter.com/appli...pn=MCRW-156A/3 That is for 3 Sony CD_RW (rewritable) disks. Each one (it says) can be used and formatted 300 times.

They seemed to work much better. I don't have the software to take them off the camera directly (and have WIN 98, the newer ones you don't need the software) so have to finalized the cd and take it off with my CD-ROM drive. My computer is old and tired anyway, so this was slow (the pictures were only 72 resolution but 22" wide in size. Even using the higher quality settings, I couldn't get them higher resolution. My Epson 750 takes them off 300 resolution and 4" wide)

After I'd take them off, the camera would say I needed to UNfinalize the CD, which it did and I'd put more pictures on and they'd all be on it. Not like the Memorize colored CD-Rs my daughter had been using.

I took pictures, finalized, too them off, unfinalized, too them off, formatted the CD, took more, etc. It seemed to work as it should.

I don't know if they have Sony CD-R (use once) but the RWs seem to work sort of like a flash/memory card in other cameras.

They do seem expensive to start, but if you can reuse each one 300 times and they actually WORK. I think they are a little smaller in size than the CD-Rs (156MB)

I've given the camera back to my daughter. She said it seems really slow taking pictures, but I think maybe because I put the setting on FINE (instead of STANDARD) and the next to the best quality. That might make a difference in taking the pictures.

I got so I liked it, once I got the good CDs to save on. I like how it makes the shutter- wind sound (like a 35mm) when you take the pictures, though I am guessing this is just for effect. And, after using cameras with AA rechargeable batteries I got used to the Mavica one that had so much power and lasted so long without recharging.

~ Carrie

Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:15 AM   #4

thanks for the link, i seen that one yesterday but i was going to google it today to
see if came up with any cheaper....maybe it does it at a lower speed than the cd'rs
made from memorex, but ritek is compatible too but same problem

i am just soo tired of every other video file 80% playable and then boom bad

GRRRRR

can you ask if she has done any video on these disks and if she is getting any errors?
video is the only concern.... tell her to do one long video and see if it corrupts it. i don't have that many problems with pictures, mostly videos

i have been recording my daughters basketball games every saturday and i pre initialize 6 cds for this. these are 256, maybe they designed it to only successfully do 156 before it messes up.... lol....that is a theory. if i use 5 for the game that are 256, but i don't use the entire space b/c of trial and error, then i need 7-8 of these small cd's

another question, has she let the video keep recording until it stops recording on it's own....so it closes the recording? i used to do that until i thought maybe that was causing it but it never made a difference...

well let me know thanks
Shannon
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:00 AM   #5

Okay, I'll ask or I can have her bring the camera back to me (I still have one of the CD-Rs here) I gave it back to her this weekend because she's had company, and the last of it is leaving today. (We live in Northern VT so friends and relatives tend to come here for weekends (LOL)

This is the first she's used it since I had it and got the CD-Rs and all she said was (again) "I hate this camera!" She said it's now so slow taking pictures, but I think that might be because I left it set higher quality.

Actually, I should ask her to make the video because I have a hard time getting them off the CD because of my computer (almost 6 years old, with WIN 98) I can't take anything off the Mavica with the camera and cord, because Win 98 needs software, my daughter has XP and never needed it so doesn't know where the CD that came with it is (and the only place I found it online it was 250 MB (or something) to download and my computer kept stopping when I tried) So, I have to finalize the CD and fight with m CD ROM to take stuff off it. Thought I could see if the video was on it.

I wonder... would it be better for you and more practical in the long run to look for a cam corder? Maybe one that takes those mini cassettes, and record 1-2 hours at a time. There may be some reason you don't do this, like want it on the computer or don't have the money (I'm on a limited income, too, and have had people suggest things to me like "just buy..." )

Right now, Im in the process of getting a new computer (from DELL, my son in MA gets a discount buying it from work) and going to get a camera and printer, so looking at several different ones. ONLY because, my daughter just got a mortgage on her house for things she needs (remodeling, etc) and is giving me a "business loan" for this. The loan part was my idea (low payments no interest) she would have bought me the computer, but I wanted to get a camera and printer, too. Have the idea of desktop publishing, notecards, maybe calendars, etc.

I like a lot of what the Mavica has (next to my Epson 750Z which now hardly works- with it's rechargeable AA batteries, the Mavica is a wonder) but think maybe the memory, flash cards (in a camera) are better. I know when the Mavica first came out it used floppy disks, which seem even more fragile.

I'll see what I can do. I haven't found much info about getting stuff off the mini CDs, and I've put words and phrases about it in google, only coming across other people with the same problem(s)

~ Carrie

Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:19 AM   #6

you wouldn't need the program if you had xp b/c xp has the scanning/photo wizard.
this will help with that...all the program is going to do is help you take the video you do have and produce a dvd from it. or organize an album with the pictures, but if you want it, i can copy it for you and send it to you.

the video, why i like the mavica.

well, i am a digital girl. i like the fact that i can take the pictures and video from one device.....put it on my computer the same day and it is so easy to use.

the problem using the camcorder, i have a camcorder.....getting old though
tapes upon tapes....tapes i tell ya! they get eaten by the vcr or get old and can't watch them
plus they are big and bulky.....i like the process of clips of 5 minutes....they take up little space and when it gets to be alot, i have extra hard drives to put them on for storage and the fact that i can manipulate them alot easier.

i have (HAAAVE) thought about the hard drive camcorder, but that in itself is a pretty pretty penny, 700$ for the ones that are out. they didn't have it invented until after i got this camera or i hadn't heard of it yet

I have also figured out how to take a bunch of 5 minute clips of the basketball game and produce a dvd of the whole thing....fading in and out and everything,....it is soooo much fun....except the problem of losing every other file b/c it isn't writing correctly
i love the fact of putting in a dvd to give to everyone. everyone nowadays has a dvd player and the bulkyness not there and if is scratched, make another...simple

hence my problem. and in reality when i am shooting something for video whether it be the kids or whatever.....then 3-5 minute clips are really all i take. unless it is a play or whatever.

let me know what ya think
thanks again
shannon
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:10 AM   #7

>>>>well, i am a digital girl. i like the fact that i can take the pictures and video from one device.....put it on my computer the same day and it is so easy to use.

Yes, they are better than video. Maybe the price will be comeing down on the hardrive ones.

I talked to my daugher, she said she just took the longest video she ever had, I imagine she has it on the "good" quality (not the VGA or whatever setting that says 45 mins but lower) but due to company hasn't taken it off yet. She'll let me know.

I took a 5 min one when I first had it, on one of the Memorex CR-R ones she had the problems with. And it was fine. Just that with my current computer it's hard to get somethiung that big off with the CD ROM

I have a feeling the RW ones are the answer and Sony brand, made for the camera. They had them on ebay, one person selling them ,but people were bidding on them and I didn't know how far they'd go up. I usually don't have or spend that much but I had gotten into "I want to see if this works!" And, you figure even for $26 (total) for 3, if you can formatt and reuse them (and they work) 300 times each, it's worth it in the long run.

I know, I was wary of buying them, not knowing if that was the problem.

My daughter said the camera worked good (and she always used R cds and couldn't find Sony ones) the first 2 years. She'd make small videos on it, because she planned to send them via email. (I don't know if she knew about the lower quality for this, I learned it when I went through the instruction book) Then, a few months ago, she noticed that she'd take some, finalize it and look on her CD ROM (which she had done before) then take more and even though she could see the newest ones in playback on the camera, they weren't there when she went to take them off (by either means). That's how I got involved. She gave me the first CD this happened on, and it went up to 19 (or the 20 original pictures) then stopped, and there were no others on it. She had taken around 200 or so MORE pictures after that (she had company, and taken pictues she really wanted) I took that cd and used a data recovery program (several of them) but they still only showed the first 20 pictures (only 19 would come off) After she tried to take them all off (the 2nd batch) she could no longer see them on the camera in playback.

I experimented with the rest of the Memorex CD-R (they are small and colors) and sometimes the next batch would show up, sometimes not. I'd take some, finalaize it, take them off with the CD-ROM and take more, look at them in playback, they wouldn't be there on the CD-ROM and no longer show on the camera playback. Sometimes it would say "disk error" (one new CD-R from this box did that from the start)

When I put it in google, I found boards where people were writing about this, in one case the person had taken pictures at a graduation, for someone else, and the pictures (which showed in playback on the camera) weren't on the CD when he tried to take them off. He had tried data recovery to find them, too.

This is NOT GOOD for a camera! You can't go back and redo a wedding or something because of this.

Anyway, I tired the Sony RW ones, and now my daughter has the camera and another mini cd from the pack, and it seems to work. It's hard to tell because I have to fight with my CD-ROM to get it do do anything (LOL)

Next week I'm ordering a new one, with XP (which I'll then have to learn). But, I'm not sure I want a Mavica with the mini CDs. I want a camera like it, only with a memory card.

The first Mavicas used floppy disks, which don't seem too strong or reliable (in a computer) I wonder if they had problems like the CDs do?

I'll let you know about the video when she takes it off. Just taking small ones does seem like a good idea, if they all come out. The conclusion I came to (at this point) is the Sony brand might work best with them. I don't know if Sony has CD-R ones that woudl be less, even just to try.

~ Carrie

Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:37 AM   #8

Let me know about the Cdrw, definately

as with the memory card goes....i still see a problem b/c cd's are easier to go through if you keeping up with the whole entire basketball game....it may take 5 cd's
but once you filled up the card.....unless you are taking the computer with you....and then loading them onto the computer....you miss out on the rest of the game

dilemma....or buying 5 cards to hold it all until you go home

dilemma #2= 5 cards at 30/50$ a piece, not to mention price of camera
or 120$ for a 1gb card....and the camera

wow. i shutter to think about it.

i have seen the cdr's on sale for cheaper but then the dilemma #3 is buying them repeatedly just to put them on the pc and not using the cd again.

ho hum.....

i am still googling for cheaper... :roll:
Old Jan 30, 2006, 12:07 PM   #9

I see your point about the cards

Though, according to the instruction book (but I never tried it) there is a VGA (?) setting for videos that says for emailing, lower size/quality, that takes 45 mins per CD. The RW ones are smaller than the R ones, though.

If you get a box of 3 RW ones, you can then find out how it works for you with the videos and games. Or, maybe find Sony (brand) R ones? You know when it starts up it says recommends Sony CDs. My daughter had a hard time finding them.

I know from CD burning some work better than others (the full size ones).

Though, with Memory cards you can get really big size ones now. You could probably put a whole game on one of the bigger ones. I've had an 8 MB and 32 MB card (but not on a camera that makes videos). I've seen them for sale for 1 gb or something, too. The CDs are 156 MB for the RWs and 210 MB for the Rs

I know, you have a camera that takes mini CDs, so this isn't really the point for you.

The cameras I now have use 4 AA rechargeable batteries, I can't imagine making a very long video with these. I'm burned out on camera with AA batteries! I like how the Mavica plugs in and rechanges, than lasts (and you don't miss shots).

I wonder why nobody else has an imput about this, here?
Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:30 PM   #10

the 5 minute clips usually take up about 200 mb size

how do you get it smaller? i think i remember seeing it set on 640 x ???

not a clue....